Mark brings up a good point that I didn't mention in my previous post and that is doing some experimenting with sub (and speaker) location can tame the room a bit.

As I mentioned to Dennis, EQ is not always necessary and the type of EQ device doesn't always have to be parametric or a BFD. Doing some measurements and playing with sub position in the room is always the best place to start, not to mention if you do decide to EQ at some point, it can give you tremendous insight into the behavior of your room so you can use both position and EQ, as well as treatments, to get things more under control. This assumes though that you know how far out of control things are in the first place.

The neat thing about the equalizers we use for bass, and the thing that makes them a must for tweakers is how cheap they are (relative to our other toys that is...). For $100 you can get a lot of value if you've got a crazy room, or if nothing else have the peace of mind that you've done what you can with what you've got to improve your low end (bass, that is). In my case it was also necessary due to the fact my subs are where they are due to room layout and a small dose of WAF, so I had to go the EQ route just because I can't move the subs. Also since mine are not co-located, it was almost a given I was going to have issues.

For bass heads, or those that just love the punch of a good movie soundtrack, doing a bass FR plot is just the next step after setting speaker levels. And, since we already have the tools to do the measurements (the biggest deal is just having a SPL meter), it's a straightforward exercise.

Maybe when Mark is done and has posted his pics, we'll see his room looks like Axiom's anechoic chamber (extreme room treatment as we like to say), but the FR will be ruler flat... :-)

Enjoy the bass,

Doug