Hi all,

The listening room at the National Research Council in Ottawa isn't a trade secret. In fact, it's a standard IEC (International Electro-Technical Commission) listening room--and it's really boring to look at.

I'll get back to you on the exact dimensions (I have to go into my archives to find the dimensions) but it's rectangular, about 20 x 13 x 8 feet, and has a carpeted floor, draperies on tracks that can be moved around the shorter wall to simulate a set of window draperies (the room doesn't have windows). There are individual upholstered chairs for the listening panel, and bookcases along one section of a side wall and along the rear wall behind the listening area.

There are also large, ugly bass absorber baffles on a couple of the walls, which make the room less susceptible to standing waves and tend to even out bass response so that changing listening chairs doesn't result in "holes" in the bass that would unfairly bias listeners during speaker evaluations. (The panel members change listening chairs for each round of listening tests to average out room effects for the different chair locations.)

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)