wschwartz: How about some decorative rugs hung on the wall? I do not know much about your taste, but I believe there are a huge variety of designs available from classical Persian to art-deco to post-modern to abstract.

Alan: I do not know the details of the Athena Project, so I may be off the point. But I think the most logical stage to do room-equalization, if any, would be within the digital domain of the electronics, simply because that way you do not have to introduce additional A/D and D/A conversions. In that sense, I do understand the consumers' reluctance for "active" or "digital" loudspeakers. I can also readily imagine the enormous difficulty in obtaining a reasonable "compromise" among the significantly different EQ settings each optimized at different listening positions within the same room. But I would bet somebody will sooner or later come up with products incorporating this line of ideas, given the low cost and huge flexibility of processing signals in today's digital audio circuits...

Cheers!