I think that I have seen it credited with being the # 1 selling Jazz album of all time.
And IMO, justifyably so.
It is one of those rare gems that is both completly accessable to non jazz fans, and deep and complex enough to provide years and years of repeated listenings.
I've probably owned about 15 different copies through the years. This syndrome no doubt contributes to it's continued high sales!:)
I am dying for the SACD version to arrive, but I just got an email from Tower saying that my order still has not shipped, 5 days after ordering, even though everything was listed as "in stock".
I also have the SACD version of In a Silent Way coming, as well as the two Bill Evans Village Vanguard sets coming in SACD.
The Japanese are huge Jazz fans, and just about all of Miles' stuff is available in Japan in SACD, but the price here for the imports is a prohibitive $50-$75 per disc.
I'm still thinking about kicking for the SACD of Bitches Brew though. THAT should be a monster in SACD.

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900