jefft,

Since you do not detect the particular distortion with the classical music, I doubt that your tweeters are defective. Most likely, the modern/rock/alternative CDs you listened to are recorded "hot," with intentionally boosted mid-highs and highs. The M22's are highly accurate speakers, which means that they depict a bad or tweaked recording as such.

In reply to:

Could this just be the speakers still needing breaking in? or do I have defective/blown tweeters? I guess another possibility is that I'm not used to the distorted guitar sound that are present in those rock CDs?

The loudspeakers (or any other audio components) do not need a break-in -- their response does not detectably change over time. What could change or be "broken-in" is, if any, the psycho-auditory processing in our own brain, as you have eluded. Equipment break-in is a wide-spread myth among those "audiophile" folks, period.

In reply to:

I guess one of the questions is- how do you tell when the tweeters are blown?

In this case, I would first check, using a good pair of headphones, the CDs with which you felt distortion. If the recordings sound the same (still "distorted") on headphones, then you can acquit the Axioms.

Cheers!

Last edited by sushi; 03/11/03 02:59 PM.