In reply to:

imposter's and gem's posts reminded me of the olden days in which most hi-fi speakers had a built-in volume control(s) for the tweeter (and mid-range if three-way). I also remember that those thick-wired volume control pods tend to often deteriorate over time. Does any manufacturer still do this today in passive loudspeakers?

About five years back, I bought a set of Infinity Studio Monitor series that did this. I don't believe I've seen it on any other speaker since, though.

Like sushi said, there are different philosophies to speaker design and Axiom has decided upon one that defines their character. I tend to agree with Axiom's design philosophy, personally, but it's a matter of opinion. It's also why I think people need to be more diligent in auditioning equipment. Different people will enjoy different things.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the speakers and would instead listen to them for a while and see if maybe my brain needed to just adjust to the new sounds it was hearing in the music, rather than loose detail in good performances. But it's your speaker, folks.