Print Thread
Rate Thread
M3's - rear?
#10827 05/11/03 12:26 PM
1pha Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Well, I went and did it. I bought a pair of M3ti's from a dealer in Toronto.
I originally went in to buy a pair of M22's, but he had such a good deal on the M3's($280 w/tx's)that I couldn't resist ($250 cheaper than the M22's!).
I actually got to demo the two pairs and the M22's were (to me) clearly the better speaker. They were "crisper and cleaner". They didn't seem to have the bass extension of the M3's, but that $250 difference could go towards a center?

Questions:

1) Would the M3's make good surrounds later on? (They'll currently be used as my mains).
2) What center speaker could I match these up with (for now) that won't be outdated/mismatched when I upgrade later on? (I hope eventually to have M60's for mains?).
3) Should I return these and get the M22's? (They're what I really wanted).

I know, I know, you should never make "impulse" buys, but I just couldn't resist (ie - I had the cash on me). Plus I've never seen a "bad" review of the M3's - they're just not rated as "good" as the M22's?
Did I screw-up big time?

1pha

Re: M3's - rear?
#10828 05/11/03 02:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
1pha,
You seem a bit preoccupied with other people's opinions of what speakers are better than others. Concentrate more on what you like from a speaker and then let your ears be the judge. Only you can judge the hit on your pocketbook.
Try to ignore the misconception that more cost = better.
It does not.
Is the M22 better than the M3?
The answer is "That depends on who is listening to it."
The M3s have been touted and reviewed as an excellent speaker especially for its price range. The M22 is built with a different configuration so it will obviously sound different. If you did not like the sound of the M3s at all, i'm sure you would not have bought them. If you cannot afford the M22s at this time, then just enjoy your new M3s and continue saving your cash until you can afford the speakers you have your heart set upon.
Speaker companies do not often make changes overnight or every other month. A speaker lineup comes out one year and typically hangs around for several years thereafter. I highly doubt the M22 is going anywhere anytime soon.
Once you do buy another main speaker, the M3s will work fine as surrounds. They can also be sold on sites such as ebay if you prefer getting another speaker in the future.

As for your centre channel, it would depend on your use and size of area you have. If i recall, you are in a relatively small room for listening/watching media. In such case, a large centre channel is really not required and you may even consider eventually buying another M3 for this use, or wait until you change over your main speakers to M22 and fill in the centre with an M2 possibly.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#10829 05/11/03 06:52 PM
1pha Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Thanks for the reply Chesseroo, it is appreciated.

As far as being "preoccupied" with other peoples opinions? - yes I am. The people on this forum have a wealth of knowledge and experience regarding Axioms that I'll never have. It's kind of like going to the bank where they're handing out free cash....if you will only ask.

Center - you suggest a single M3? (or an M2 if I go with the M22's?). What about the VP100/150?

Thanks! - 1pha

#10830 05/11/03 07:47 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Steve, I assume that you're going to be listening to these in your bedroom, as you previously described. I know that your budget is tight, but my thought is to go with the better main speaker at this time and worry about the rest later. You certainly didn't "screw up big time" with the M3s, but you yourself thought that the M22s were clearly better, so return the M3s and enjoy your M22s, which you really wanted. As I told you previously, if you're going to be listening in your bedroom in the sweet spot you can at least temporarily do without a center speaker and let the M22s form a "phantom" center. If you later want a center, the M2 would match up well with the M22s.

When you're able to get surrounds, ones that have broad dispersion, such as the QS4s, should work well in your small room.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#10831 05/12/03 01:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
1pha

I'll put it simple.

1)The M3's are not that great for surrounds. They sound good until you hear QS4's or QS8's.

2) If you use M60's as mains, you'll love them. Match them with either a VP150 or horizontal M22Ti as a center. I prefer VP150.

3) Return the M3's, get the M22's. Listen to them for a couple of weeks then demo some M3's again, and you won't like the M3's that much anymore. 250$ isn't that much money for speakers that last a decade or more.

#10832 05/12/03 11:41 AM
1pha Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Thanks for the replies guys!

What I'll do is send these M3's back, and go for the M60's. They were what I really wanted originally. I do not want to be listening to my system and wondering "what if..".

I thought I could 'settle' for M22's as my mains, but ended up going even another step below them and got the M3's. Mistake. There's nothing wrong with the M3's, but you've gone and infected me with the dreadful "audio-itis" (sigh - I guess I should have been wearing a mask while on the computer?).
Plus, now that I've heard and compared the M60's side by side with the M3's and the M22's.....?
And no, I do NOT want to hear the M80's!

So my order of purchase will now be:

1) Now: exchange/upgrade from the M3's to the M60's (there goes that new TV that I've been saving for!)
2) 1-2 months: the QS8's
3) 2-4 months: the VP150
4) 4-6 months: SVS or HSU sub
5) 1 year: new TV

For those of you who are dying to do the "I told you so" thing - consider it done. You were right, I wouldn't be happy till I ended up with my "dream" system, (especially now that I've heard it!).

As far as this system being in 'too-small' of a room? The room is actually 13.5' x 29'. I've only been using half of the room for my bedroom, the other half has been set up as a mini living room. But I'm now going to re-sort the layout to accommodate for the "audioitis". After all, I doubt if there's anyone out there who will be listening to their system more than I will be (17 hours/day - roughly).

Thank you everyone for your advice/guidance, it is truly appreciated.

1pha

(Stay tuned for volume IV of this continuing saga, due out August/03, where 1pha will discuss the various aspects of prioritizing sound over food - all rights reserved)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,304 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup