Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: O/T High School Reunion
#112174 10/05/05 06:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
HA! Memories...

I just had my 20 year in August. Strangely enough, I still hang out w/ most of my friends from that time, since we were all friends since 6th/7th grade. Cool to know that we're still friends (about 10 of us) after 25+ years.

We all did the 10 year. It was somewhat surreal, seeing everyone glom onto their old "clicks", including us. You could see some of the jocks still trying to live their old glory, and the cheerleaders still trying to look hot, some of them still did too. The fringe kids were there, mostly the brainiacs that were in all the AP classes w/ me. I knew them and was friendly w/ them. It was a game to see how fat all of us got, and how bald the guys were. At this point, I'd already given into shaving my head, no reason to delude myself that it was ever coming back... They even had a contest to see who had the most kids. Some couple had 5! Wow, I wasn't even married yet.

Fast forward to the 20 yr. My friend put it together, classmates.com was even used. Some old friends from high school popped out of the closet and we all started emailing each other. Weird since it's true, all the old mannerisms and interactions came back. At the party, people were even heavier and balder than before. One of the HOTTEST cheerleaders provided the biggest shocker by being about 150 lbs heavier from 10 yrs ago. I saw a couple of my classmates that did not age well either. I saw one guy and thought, "Hey our teachers showed up!" Uh oh, that's not a teacher, that's a classmate. Some of the people dressed like they stepped out of 1985, and I don't think that was for a laugh.

Overall, it was still fun to see everyone. I had a great time in high school, no real bad memories except the rejection at high school dances... Amazing, however, how everyone's lives take different turns.

#112175 10/05/05 07:11 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Amie, you are hilarious. This whole thing really brightened my day.

I went to the 10th and had a miserable time - too many people still trying to impress. I went to the 20th and everyone seemed much more comfortable. I did not subject my wonderful wife to these people from my youth, and both of us remain happy with that choice. She boycotted her reunions altogether.

I found that all the women were still very beautiful and all of the men were old and fat and/or balding. I suppose 38 just looks better on women than on men.

It is a rare opportunity, and in the interest of having rich, diverse life experiences, I can recommend it. If my experience is typical, you should just try to enjoy the moments you are there, and not have expectations about rekindling old friendships.

I unequivocally advocate liberal amounts of alcohol.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#112176 10/05/05 07:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL! When I composed my post above, after I'd made mention of the male transformation one might expect to find at a reunion, I was about to include a female equivalent, but decided I had made my point and it wasn't necessary. I thought of saying "you might find the cheerleader has put on 50 pounds and has 6 kids." Whew! I coulda gotten myself in a lot of trouble with you had I done that. I'm sure glad I didn't. (or did I just do it. DUH!)

And as for you , Craig............

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#112177 10/05/05 07:33 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
In reply to:

And as for you , Craig............

Jack, No abuse is too good for you ...

#112178 10/05/05 07:33 PM
shareholder in the making
I was quite happy to skip my 10 year. There's only a few people I'd like to see, and I can see them away from all those *&$*(^!s that made my life miserable.

Bitter? Who, me?

Went to my wife's instead. It was kind of nice not being known, but the dinner thing was miserable. Horrid. Can you say "rubber chicken?" The informal BBQ the next day was much better!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#112179 10/05/05 07:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Jack, No abuse is too good for you ...

I'm moved. That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#112180 10/05/05 07:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
yeah, my wife only came cause she knows my friends. but it drives her crazy when all we talk about is old stuff.

I went to her 10 yr college reunion. She went to Harvard and we made a vacation out of it. The only minor highlight was that she graduated w/ the guy who was the first "Bachelor" on ABC. Funny hearing stories that women were not his only interest...

#112181 10/06/05 06:56 AM
I skipped my 10 year. My wife wants to go to hers, but she'll be bursting at the seams, so to speak, if she hasn't has the baby already. I'll probably go to the 20 year, though. By that time, people will be good and fat and/or bald and won't even bother trying to impress.

#112182 10/06/05 05:51 PM
aficionado
aficionado
YIKES!

You two talking about Albuquerque (in particular Montgomery Blvd) brought back images of running around that part of town with my ex-wife who was from ABQ...think she may have even attended West Mesa...probably '84 or '85...I know she attended church (as well as we got married there) at a church on Montgomery...

I remember the Tramway and spending a couple of Christmases there...Winter in the Sandias for a guy from Central Texas was very cool, literally.

I also remember a really good Mom & Pop Mexican place not far off Montgomery or at least it was in that part of town...it was not real big...but I can't remember the name although it was in Spanish...always frequented there when we came to visit...really good food.

It is amazing what will trigger memories, both good and bad...

Kinda miss the town but not her...be tough to go back there probably...even after all these years.

WhatFurrer

Last edited by WhatFurrer; 10/06/05 05:54 PM.

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#112183 10/06/05 06:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I also remember a really good Mom & Pop Mexican place not far off Montgomery

Not sure what that would have been, but when I lived there Gardunos was my personal addiction. I understand they've opened a restaurant in Las Vegas, and if the food is anything like it once was then I'm sure they do more business than a crack house.

I've often thought that I'd make a killing in Nashville (or anywhere else outside of New Mexico) by opening a Gardunos. Most people have absolutely no concept of the huge difference between Mexican and New Mexican cuisine. Red or green?

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 674 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup