Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nightmare
#114552 10/30/05 10:35 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
This whole Axiom experience has been VERY unpleasant. Some of you might remember the topics I've made a while back about how my EP350 subwoofers were having problems. To recap, the first subwoofer was causing static on the tv (not magnetic from it being too close, but diagonal lines of static). Later the 1st one died. The 2nd subwoofer died in a week. the 3rd subwoofer is also suffering from the same static that the 1st 2 had. the static has intensified since I got it, so I leave it unplugged and never use it in fear that this 3rd one will die. I ran an extention cable to differetn rooms to see if it was the specific breaker but that had no effect, still deathcausing massive static. Any ideas? If I can't have a Subwoofer the whole surroudn system is a waste and I don't want to deal with sending back all my speakers.

Re: Nightmare
#114553 10/30/05 11:05 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
What has Axiom said.

#114554 10/30/05 11:06 PM
local
local
wow. have you tried a power line conditioner such as a Monster power or even a BIG surge protector? just to see if there is a line fault anywhere? also, can you take a picture of wht the TV looks like with the sub on and then off? to show us the difference? where is the sub located? i have never heard of this type of problem before, however, if the subs are dying, they there is obviously a problem with THEM and not your tv. what has Axiom said about all this??? i have had numerous subs, from many different manufacturers...and i have never had a problem like that. we'll help if we can, and of COURSE you want a sub...it's what makes the HT experience worth while. we'll figure it out i'm sure.

Axiom M60Ti Infinity 2000.6 x 4 Infinity RS1 rear Infinity CC200 HSU VTF3 - MKII
#114555 10/30/05 11:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I would agree that it sounds like a power issue in your house. I have seen odd power issues causing a variety of audible and visual problems with various A/V and even computer monitors. Some people call it dirty power, and it isn't uncommon, but many times it takes the right combination of power consumption devices.

I just would be conserned that the power may be what is causing your sub to go out, and until it is resolved, you could have problems indefinately.

I agree, try a line conditioner (see if you can borrow one from someplace first), or try the surgeprotector. Many UPS (not the shipping company) units offer surge protection and power filtering in one.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#114556 10/31/05 01:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I see your last post was back on 8/28/05. Have you talked with Axiom about the issue with the 3rd EP350, Axion has great support and I can't see them leaving you on your own.

#114557 10/31/05 01:37 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I could see one or possibly two subs that were faulty but to have a third one cause you the same problem.I would suspect it is a problem within your house wiring somewhere.If it were me I would hire a qualified electrican and have the wiring and breaker panel checked for faults of some kind.

I highly doubt one person could get three subs that were all faulty.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#114558 10/31/05 03:57 AM
devotee
devotee
Ya, after 3 subs I would have to say the problem is on your end. Sorry about your troubles. I would definitly get that looked at.

#114559 11/01/05 05:51 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Guys, you must have all short term memories We have already given Mr. Sanitylapse the same questions in the past

It is obvious the problem is not Axiom Subs as nobody else has had similar issues, especially with 2-3 in a row. I'm sorry Sanity I don't have your answer for you but there is something in your environment that is causing the problem. Do you live next to a nucleur power plant?

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#114560 11/01/05 03:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm afraid that I can't help with your problem either....but I do know of another subwoofer nightmare than can be just as vexing

Like when you get a new driver to replace your old ten incher in your antique sub enclosure and you find that it vibrates windows and fireplace accessories unmercifully...and...has about a huntret and a half db peak and valley...and...WILL NOT intregrate at all well with the rest of the system...and...due to the magnet in the new 12 incher weighing literally more than the old 10" driver did in it's entirety, is capable of distroying any chance of a watchable picture on our RP CRT if it's left in its' optimum location.

My cables were long enough to put the sub on the fireplace hearth and fire it down the long dimension of the room; and that helped, some. But WAF.....

So I took the sub out of the system for a couple weeks while depressingly trying to decide what to do next...the ol' 10 incher wouldn't bolt back up in the box cause the 12" hole wouldn't offer sufficient thread bite....and...a hurricane was a-commin...and...the dear M50s in their restricting cabinets just couldn't muster up enough bass to sound much like a real honest-to-goodness sub in the system.

Audio just didn't sound like fun anymore.

Ah Phooie

Eventually....after the Wife reminded me yet once again about the impending official release of Star Wars III; that I got back to work on the delemma.

A Sub Crawl indicated that the ONLY usable location was in the back of the room right where the left rear M3 sits on top of a cabinet...a big...heavy cabinet.(OK, not too big and not too heavy, but a real hassle to relocate)So I moved the cabinet and the M3 and totally lost any surround effects...Rats!!

Build a shelf for the M3....surround is back

Back to the sub....

...Son has access to a CD or DVD with frequency sweeps that may help in setting up the sub.....COOL!!

...He stops over for a visit....but forgot the disc at his house....OK though, cause He admits that he blew a tweeter in his system while trying it out.

OOPS!

OK; We'll work around it.

(Whew...coulda been ME!!)

Bottom line...

...with a bit of tweaking in the recievers' EQ, and a lot of fiddling with the variable phase control, and the gain, and the crossover settings(the crossover isn't at all linear and works in conjunction with the phase, giving varrying elbow relationships)on the plate amp, so that I finally got it to work acceptably well

(an SPL meter and proper set-up DVD are outside of the budget cause the Grandkids like to eat, and their school likes lotsa field trips to raise extra money, and Christmas is coming, and like that, but...ears work, and with a little more time and a little more tweaking....)

#114561 11/02/05 02:29 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey, nice to have you back F107! Where you been hiding?

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020