Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Got Pioneer 72TXV - need to get speakers
#114998 11/04/05 06:25 PM
falcon Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I just bought the Pioneer 72TXV receiver and I'm trying to decide on the speakers. I am basically looking at Polks and Axioms.

Polks
F - RTi12
C - CSi5
S - FXi5
Sb- PSW505
($3000CAD tax in)

Axiom
F - M60 (would like M80 better but would need to add an amp)
C - VP150
S - QS8
Sb- EP500 (or maybe 350)
($3880CAD tax in)

I'm trying to make out what makes sense, what will complement my receiver better and to tell you the truth, I'm confused. There is a lot of info out there and it's mixed to say the least. I haven't listened to neither setup. Currently, I have Polks(lower grade package). My use would be 80%HT and 20%Music.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Got Pioneer 72TXV - need to get speakers
#114999 11/04/05 09:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Can't comment on the Polk speakers but that Axiom lineup sure is nice. What size is your listening area?

Rick
Our Room

smile
#115000 11/04/05 09:07 PM
falcon Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
It is a family room that opens into kitchen/dining area and separated by half wall. But the family room alone is 16x15 if I remember correctly.

I'm thinking that instead of concentrating on the speakers, I can look at the receiver and match the speakers. I would think that certain speakers sound better with certain receivers.

#115001 11/04/05 09:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I do believe the speakers will probably have more to do with the outcome of your system than the receiver. I'd probably concentrate on them first, but that's me.

Rick
Our Room

smile
#115002 11/04/05 09:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
BrotherBob, I read his post the same way you did, but he already has the Pio 72TXV. So, though I could be wrong, I think he means that he feels he should concentrate on the receiver he has, and find speakers that will match up well with that receiver.

Falcon, if I'm correct about your meaning, there are two schools of thought about matching electronics and speakers, and you are free to believe whatever you wish.

One school feels there is little, if any, difference in the way electronics sound. They would say don't worry about matching speakers to the receiver. Pretty much any decent speaker, and both Axioms and Polks are decent speakers, should work with the Pioneer. You just have to figure out which speaker sounds better TO YOU.

The other school feels there are noticeable differences in the way electronics sound. I'll leave it to those in that school to tell you whether they feel Axioms or Polks would work better with your 72TXV.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#115003 11/05/05 01:36 AM
falcon Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Yes, that's right Jack. I have the receiver and I am trying to figure out thether polks will be a better fit to the receiver than axioms.

It is a tough one. Looking at the specs of each brand of speakers I have observed the following:

Fronts - RTi12 look to be better from strickly hardware perspective(3x7" subwoofers vs 2x6.5" on R60), midrange and tweeter appear to be similar.

Surrounds - FXi5 have 1x6.5" mid/woofer vs. 2x5.25" on QS8. Tweeter appear to be similar.

Center - CSi5 has 2x6.5" mid/woofer vs. 3x5.25 on VP150 and 1x1" tweeter vs. 2x1" on axioms.

Sub - slightly different technology.

So, here is my conclusion, RTi12s appear to be better all around fronts, center appears to be better on axioms, rears better on axioms, and sub better on axioms. This is strictly from hardware perspective and interpreted by me.

Here is another thing. Polks are all 8ohm speakers where as Axioms are 6ohm centre, 8ohm front, 6ohm rears. Even if I wanted to upgrade the fronts to M80 on axioms, they only come in 4ohm configuration.

The recommendation for the 72TXV is to use 8ohm speakers. There is a switch fro 6ohm, but as I have read, one shouldn't use it. The power is 130w x 7 in 8ohm with continous power output (20Hz-20kHz, 0.09%) and 160w x 7 in 6ohm with continous power output (1kHz, 1.0%).

Any ideas?

To compare the two setups, one would have to listen to each setup on my receiver and I don't think I can arrange that. Even then, I don't consider myself nowhere an expert and I'm not sure what to look for as far as playback.

As far as money is concerned, I can get the Polks for 2800 tax in, including speaker wire, vs 3880 for Axioms - thousand buck cheaper. Is it worth it?

I would appreciate if someone could give me some feedback.

#115004 11/05/05 01:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This may be a bit out in left field, but the basic problem here is "what will my ears like"?

One thought, and only just a thought, would be to by a pair of M22s strictly for the 30 day trial period.

The M22s sound remarkably similar(less deep bass)to the M60s, so they would give you an idea of whether the Axioms are the "sound" of choice.

If you opt for the Axioms, at the end of the trial period you have the abillity(I believe)to have the M22s shipped back to Axiom for free in exchange for a higher priced speaker pair.

Shipping a pair of rejected M60s back would be somewhat pricy

#115005 11/05/05 02:06 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I would be suprised if the Pioneer Elite 72TXV receiver couldn't handle the M80s.That's a really good receiver you have there.

As far as the Polks vs the Axioms, well I have only heard the Lsi series and prefer my M80s to them.Of course the sound of a certain speaker is a very subjective thing.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#115006 11/05/05 03:00 AM
falcon Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Buying the receiver was easy. This speaker shopping is becoming a headache. It consumes my time and work and at home - not healthy.

I wouldn't want to listen to something similar. I can't imagine and tell myself that I like the speaker and the one that I will buy will have more bass.

I currently have the M2600 HT package that I bought 4 years ago, or similar, from polk audio. It's not bad for the money.

Is there any negotiation on axioms?

I've read some reviews that axioms can be bright and as I understand that does not appeal to all people. Have to read a bit more about polks to see what people say about them. I think the problems is, as with a lot of other things, that there are so many choices, going even beyond those two brands and at different price points.

I feel that I invested in a really good receiver, now I want to get something as good for the sound. I don't want to spend all this money and in a year think that the speakers are not adequate.

Maybe I'm on the wrong forum, as you would think that most people here have axioms. It would always be nice to hear what people went through as far as selection and why they decided to go with their final pick.

I know that if I go to the HT store, the salespeople will suggest still other speakers and give me reasons why they are better.

#115007 11/05/05 03:11 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Have you looked at this tread to see if there is someone close to you that you could audition some Axioms.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters