Print Thread
Rate Thread
Home Theater/Multiple Room Question
#120266 12/13/05 05:51 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hey Everyone,

Bear with me as I'm beginning to delve into the wonderful world of higher end components/speakers, etc. But I have a general question.

I live in an older house with some smaller-ish rooms that comprise a den and living room. My preferred option would be to put in a "home theater system" into the smaller room (10x12x9) and then run an additional set of speakers/sub off the HT system receiver into the adjoining bigger room (12 x 20 x 9).

Is this possible. Does anyone have a similar setup. Can anyone point me in the direction of a receive that can handle this two room setup with two subs?

My thinking is that I can spend money on another sub instead of another receiver/amp, etc.

Thanks..

Re: Home Theater/Multiple Room Question
#120267 12/14/05 02:10 PM
veteran
veteran
My HK AVR630 handles multi room setups. I'm sure many of the other HK's and other brands do also as well. Since the HK 630 is a full 7 channel receiver, the typical setup according to the manual is to use 5.1 for your home theater and use the 2 back channels for the other room. There is a setting that diverts the 2 back channels away from the primary listening setting. You can then listen to 2 seperate things, you in one room watching a movie and someone else in another listening to music.

I have not attempted to set this up in any way and I never looked to see if it supports a subwoofer for each room. Just from memory of the back, I do not think it supports two independent subwoofer channels.

I'm sure someone here has setup multiroom.

Shag
#120268 12/14/05 02:54 PM
buff
buff
The Denon 3805, Onkyo 602, Marantz 5600 and higher models all support the multiple room setup. However, I am not sure any allow a second-source subwoofer in that setup. As the previous poster said, multi-room setup is usually using a 7.1 receiver as a 5.1 channel room and a 2 channel room.

I am not sure how the second subwoofer would work, however. I know my Marantz 7500 has two subwoofer outputs, however, I don't know how the "two source" thing would work and if I could redirect the second source to the second subwoofer.

In my muti-room setup, I use 5.1 in my living room and then send the other two channels through the house to multiple rooms using a speaker switch. In each room (dining room, outside, bathroom) there are stereo speakers with decent base response. (Since in those rooms it's just typically music.) In my bathroom I actually using a mono-summing ceiling speaker.

I would be interested in how this works too, although I wouldn't use it.

#120269 12/14/05 03:47 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Even if there isn't a dedicated .1 channel, won't it work to just send two full-range signals to the second room and use a sub with a built-in crossover?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 1,306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup