Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Replacement Receiver/Separates...Advise Needed!
#120643 12/15/05 02:44 PM
JoeRock Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Ajax,

Hmmmm, the Emotiva Ultra-Lite LMC-1 + LPA-1 Combo is very interesting...and wow, what a vantage on price. I like the idea of less frills, get what you pay for, quality offering in the Emotiva. My biggest concern in comparing it to others available would be the lack of DVI switching...I currently use DVI and HDMI from my HD DVR (Direct TV) & DVD Player to feed my DLP Projector. The other concern, although minor is having only 6 ch. Thus not being true 7.1 But then how much is needed for rear surround in 7.1 anyway...might be capable...I dunno. Thanks for the suggestion...I have added to my consideration list...and I didn't even know about the Emotiva prior to this thread.

Bruce,

Room dimensions were posted above...although I do plan to build a rear wall to enclose the theater. I do plan to upgrade to 7.1 and use this rear wall to hang rear surround. Right now the rear of my room does lead up steps to main floor of our home. The are carpeted, but I would like to see a truely dedicated room. As for the home theater wizard, yes, I have ran it to see recommendations, but both the Epic 60 and Epic 80 systems where my results.

Thanks,

Joe
#120644 12/15/05 03:16 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Denon 3805 looks like a great receiver at an even greater price point...have you used your 3805 to drive the M80s? Wondering if it would handle the M80s for now and then upgrade to separate amp later and use the 3805 as the processor

JoeRock - That's exactly what I did. The 3805 can and will drive M80tis very well. I later bought Outlaw's monoblocks for L/C/R. My goal is to make a gradual change to separates.

#120645 12/15/05 03:25 PM
JoeRock Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
bugbitten,

I imagine your L/C/R set up sounds quite impressive, using monoblocks for all three. You mentioned your gradual change to separates...anything in mind? What are you considering? I am pondering upgrading to separates now and upgrading my speakers in the future as time and budget permits.

Joe
#120646 12/15/05 03:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You're welcome Joe.

If you really want to make your mouth water, check out the Emotiva "Big Dogs" DMC-1/MPS-1 Combo YUMMY! However, even at the sale price, for me, they are only a pipe dream.

I want to be sure you understand that the $998 package price for the ULs is available ONLY to current owners of Rocket/Onix speakers, or if the ULs are bundled with a speaker purchase. Buying just the ULs alone would cost $1198.

You do understand that the 6th amp channel can be used as a single 125 watt amp for 6.1, OR it can be split into two 60 watt amps for 7.1. It WILL provide discrete amplification for 2 rear surrounds. I'm assuming (and hoping) that 60 watts per channel for the rears will be enough. I suspect it will do the job just fine.

As for the lack of DVI/HDMI switching, that subject has been brought up so often that av123 struck a deal with Gefen, and ended up offering Gefen's 2x1 HDMI/DVI switch with a PREORDER of the UL package for $99 (retail $249). Since the ULs are still in preorder status, I suspect, but am not totally sure, that this deal is still in effect. If you're really interested, just give them a call and inquire. Like Axiom, they are very nice folks, are glad to answer any and all questions, and are extremely easy to deal with.

Good luck on your hunt. Be sure to let us know how things work out.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#120647 12/15/05 03:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Another alternative at a reasonable price would be the Outlaw Model 990 processor/Model 7125 amp Combo for $1900! The processor has DVI switching and the amp does an outstanding job. I own an Outlaw 770 amp which I actually prefer to my Bryston 9BSST.

John
#120648 12/15/05 06:34 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

pondering upgrading to separates now and upgrading my speakers in the future as time and budget permits.

IMHO buy the speakers first. Great speakers make the biggest difference in your sound system.

My goals are long term and will take several years for WAF. If I could buy a system right now it would be the "Big Dogs" listed above. The Emotiva amp is a seven monoblock in a cage design. I think craigsub has one. You could PM him for his opinion.

#120649 12/19/05 01:42 PM
JoeRock Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Well, I have done more research and have narrowed my scope for now at least. Since my receiver is down and I must upgrade...I think I will replace my bad receiver with a decent quality receiver for now. Then instead of being forced to upgrade, I can budget the funds to purchase separates. I will use this new receiver to replace an older one in another room later when I upgrade, so nothing lost in my upgrade. Meantime I plan to upgrade my speakers as well with an Epic 80 system.

Now, after considering many separates I have narrowed my selection down to two receivers.

Onkyo TX-SR803

Denon AVR-3806

Leaning towards the Onkyo for the price since close in specs. I can get the Onkyo for $799. But I have always liked Denon products, found the Denon for $1028. Both have HDMI switching and preouts for upgrades later. Plan to use receiver to power M80s in the future, then upgrade to separates...so I will need to use this receiver to power a 4 ohm load for a few months. Any thoughts on the comparison before I pull the trigger?

Thanks!

Joe
#120650 12/19/05 06:06 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
The Denon gives you a few more watts for the 80s in the future. and more options for whole house audio. My $.02.

#120651 12/20/05 06:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

buy the one that has the most processing power, because when you get an amp, the receiver will only be used for processing video/audio.. the amp side of the receiver would be the last thing I would look at, in your given situation sense you know you are going to upgrade.. or tough out your current situation a while longer, get a pre/pro set that are matched.. Nad, or Parasound, or outlaw what ever.. I used a receiver as a pre/pro set up for the last year, and I recently bought a Nad processor, I was looking at the outlaw 990, but finaly went with the Nad, and in my opinion the dedicated processor sounds much better than using a receiver as a processor..

hope this helps in your decision.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,231 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup