Print Thread
Rate Thread
Question on cable installation
#124510 01/17/06 12:46 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hey all,

I received my Axiom speakers, and couldn't wait to hear them. I am about to start wiring the house and have gotten cables from Bluejeans cable. The banana plugs I bought from them came with heatshrink tubings. Was wondering if someone can provide instructions on how to apply them, so I can do it the right way ?

I am also thinking of getting 7.1 wallpate and individual wallplate at each speaker location. Does anyone have suggestion on where to get them ?

I am a bit nervous about cutting holes into the drywall to install cables, but I don't like the look of messy cables either. I am going to do it once I gather enough courage

Thanks for your help !

Ken

Re: Question on cable installation
#124511 01/17/06 01:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Straights, whenever you mention the speaker cables from Blue Jeans along with the banana plugs are you meaning this will be installed inside of the walls? Also I'm curious to know if the outer shielding you are referring to is a TechFlex product or indeed heat shrink, seems like the folks at Blue Jeans would have already shrunk the heat shrink wrap to the cable instead of sending it to you unfinished like that.

Regarding the drywall, if you are the type who doesn't mind a little work and are somewhat skilled doing construction projects around the house then you'll probably not have any problems installing the cables inside the wall....it would be a very difficult task if you don't have access to the ceiling via an attic though. Is this new construction or going into an existing home?

Rick
Our Room

smile
#124512 01/17/06 02:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just did some cut and pasting of the dry-wall under my plasma, which I hung over the weekend. I only cut a 3 inch strip of dry-wall, which I then patched up with another piece, spackled, sanded, etc. I'm a total novice, and I think that it turned out well...

Of course, having the right tools and materials is essential, especially if you want a professional finished look. Beware, though, that I had some considerable trouble doing the fisherman's hook approach to getting the wires from a baseboard plate and hole to the hole near the TV. There were too many obstructions and the insulation became a problem - this made me have to cut a whole piece out of the wall and actually lay in the wires and cover it up with dry-wall. It took about a full day to do all of this, including drying time.

I'll let others let you know about the wire business. I do know that ram electronics has some good wall plates, and might have a 7.1 input plate. check them out. Also see partsexpress.

#124513 01/17/06 03:31 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Oh, btw, I have attic access to the ceiling, just need to maneuver through layers of those fluffy pink insulations. So it's for an existing home.

After seeing a few nice pictures at Wall o' Fame at Axiom site, I am starting to question whether I should mount QS8 on the side wall or on the ceiling. Looks like a few of y'all mounted them on the ceiling.

I am pretty novice in cutting up the dry wall, and bought some tools from Lowe's. I would like to be careful in my approach so that I don't cut up the newly-painted game room unnecessarily.

#124514 01/17/06 03:33 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Also, I saw some posts about using Omnimount from Rack and Stand. Has anyone used them with satisfaction ?

How about those brackets from Axiom ? Are they suitable for ceiling mount as well ?

#124515 01/17/06 04:54 PM
veteran
veteran
I was going to suggest Parts Express for wall plates, I got mine there. But Ram electronics looks to have a better selection. I didn't campare prices though.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,026 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup