Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: TRL Sony CD Changer Modification?
#134209 04/04/06 02:37 PM
T
buff
buff
T
Hi jazzed,

I have a modified Denon 2900 from Reference Audio Mods. It uses battery power for some of the critical digital and analog circuits. It also uses a transformer coupled output stage. It is clearly better than stock. Not just subjectively, I'm talking better resolution. I can't speak to the specific TRL mod you are considering, but their customers all seem very happy and they have a money back guarantee.

#134210 04/04/06 03:29 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ya, I'm not on quite the quest that you are for the perfect sound, but in CD players at least, I've heard differences. I don't join you in the amp and cables department, but I won't rule out that amps could sound different. The thing that most people don't understand, (at least imo) is that the changes are subtle, not night and day. Plus, I'm a pretty discerning listener with better than average ears. I've once heard an earth quake in San Diego (I was in PHX at the time) and I also once heard a cockroach crawling on our tile kitchen while I was watching TV. Both times my dad thought I was crazy, but I was correct nonetheless. My dog ears come at a price though, I have piss-poor vision.

#134211 04/04/06 03:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's why I had to leave New York. Couldn't take the muffled scuttling/rattly noise cockroaches make while clacking along hard wood floors.

BTW, I don't know anything about the TRL mods or how they effect the sound of a CDP. I do have an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP which is a modified Marantz. Sound quality improvement is very noticeable.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 04/04/06 03:50 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#134212 04/04/06 05:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's pretty funny Bren.

Please don't teach that P word to my daughter when you come over for our OBJECTIVELY discerning BLIND LISTENING tests, while trusting our ears ONLY under CONTROLLED conditions, of audio equipment in the next month.

Be sure to bring any items you think would be worthy of comparing. I have a friend who's got a tube amp we can probably borrow. I have 2 receivers here, one preamp, one separate amp, 2 different brands and one different model of dvdp as well as 3 different speaker sets.
I have 18, 14 and 12ga wire from different sources, but no big 'boutique' names, unless some Axiom material counts.
Most importantly, i have a component switcher, all internally wired with nothing but the world's best wire and components which should exceed the performance quality of anything we hook up to it even by the most stringent audiosnob standards. If anything, it should, by imagination, improve the quality of sound from our components.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#134213 04/04/06 10:26 PM
jazZed Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks all. I'll sit on the TRL mod for a bit...
As the current system can reveal notable nastiness on less than excellently mastered/recorded CDs - my best bet for significant/noticeable/non-imaginary improvement is probably to keep building my SACD stack.
As for adding a Sub, I honestly feel no need - extended bass was one of the reasons I went M80 over M60. I'm quite content with the (well balanced) low end.
Peter Gabriel's So (SACD) just ended and the bass was bordering on Dangerous/Destructive.

Axiom-Friendly CD of the day: California Guitar Trio ~ Cg3 +2. You will swear this is Super Audio!

Thanks again for the varied input!

M80v2
Outlaw RR2150
Denon 3910
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup