Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Best Speaker Sys. Under 3000$ consideration wi
#136681 05/04/06 09:13 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
thanks again mdrew

In reply to:

I, personally, would rather be known as bright than veiled. Then again I'm pretty laid back, so....

LOL good one man

So could I interest anyone in a bright-ly colored veil? or even perhaps a crimson colored cloak? how 'bout a dashingly delightful derby?

OH, go figure me haz a nudder Q 4 U all , I see much about Axioms being revealing, mind you I am in no way an audiophile with a golden ear, what does it reveal? is it akin to the difference between listening to a CD and an LP with its ticks and pops?

#136682 05/04/06 10:05 PM
aficionado
aficionado
what people mean by revealing is that Axioms are very accurate so if it is a bad recording or source it will sound as bad as it is. lol did that make sense?
Jake

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#136683 05/05/06 01:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

You can hear a spider fart in the recording studio

Those Texas-barking spiders don't work for cheap.

Pity.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#136684 05/05/06 02:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You guys must have fantastic hearing because I've NEVER heard a spider do anything. LOL!!!

Now, where did I put that blasted hearing aid????

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#136685 05/05/06 01:44 PM
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
NeverHappy,I could have put it a little more delicatly,sorry about that.The term "bright" sets me off,OOPS.I wasn't even talking about Axiom though just past experience relating to the term.Maybe it has to do with the fact the people I was talking about to a man can't stand female vocals????.All they seem to care about is BOOM BOOM BOOM.Sorry if I over generalized and offended anyone,probably shouldn't post after a bad day at work.BTW I do have the M3's and like them so much I am ordering another pair for a 2 channel stereo only living room.Again,pardon me for being rude.

M60-VP150-M3-EP350
Boston AVR7120
#136686 05/05/06 03:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
kingaljr,
I have referred to the Axiom speakers before as bright, because they are.
Compared to any other speaker i've auditioned, that term fits. Others prefer 'forward' or perhaps 'intricately detailed' but the fact remains, they are not 'laid back'.
I certainly do not agree with 'tinny' but there is a reason why i use a resistor on the leads to the tweeter, provided by Axiom i might add.

If you think i'm a person who likes thumpy bass because i use that word to describe my M60s, then your generalization about people who use this descriptor is brutally flawed. As for the other idiotic comments, dare i use the word ignorant?
Ok i will.
I choose to ignore the other idiotic comments.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#136687 05/05/06 03:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you believe the curves that Axiom provides for their speaker response, then they are neutral or flat. They only reproduce what signals they are given.

So, if they don't sound right or good to you, then, perhaps the source material is the problem?????

If you don't believe the Axiom frequency curves, well, then that is another story.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#136688 05/05/06 05:26 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
not that anyone is gonna give a rats @ss , but . . .

after more reading of reviews I have changed my Axiom speakers choices in the MAINS portion of the system

m60's intead of m80's
vp150
qs8's.

this decision all comes down to my ear problem and *shreik* the dreaded *B* word. Mind you, what has swayed me more than anything is the reivews read, some at places that Axiom advertises. reference
In reply to:

One puzzling discrepancy between the M60ti and the M80ti was in their treble performance. While the M60ti was a real smoothie, I recall that the M80ti’s high frequencies were a bit bright, especially on brass instruments. In "Wrong Note Rag," from Leonard Bernstein’s New York [Nonesuch 79400], I didn’t hear the treble "bite" through the M60tis that I had through the M80tis.

from Vince Hanada's M60ti review found here http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/axiom_m60ti.htm
there are others , in fact most I have seen make reference to it using one adjective or another.

For me the potential problems w/ the M80 outweigh the advantages over the M60, w/ its extended base and louder SPL levels. Those are the only advantages I've been able to discern w/ my limited knowledge. I just wish that people could quit taking anything said, that is the least bit outside their belief about products they have purchased, so personal, and try to be more helpful to those that have question's and not be so damn defensive. I am fully aware its human nature to justify one's one choices by trying to shoot down, claim as false or simply dismiss anything or anyone that doesn't fall in line with one's personal views. Some can temper that defense mechinism, some cannot.

That is all, I shall discuss the M80 no more if I can help it, in this thread whats that you say? . . .Oh, yes indeed! Thank God :P :P

I want to send out a HUGE THANKS to all that have helped me in my journey thus far. Lord knows I needed it and STILL need a LOT it. So I'll be calling out again. Can't say I didn't warn ya :P

And to the rest, I don't say things or question things to be snide, or
any such negative adjectives, toward you or your equipment purchased. I just want to learn, and its easier to learn something when its more akin to flying a kite as opposed to pulling tigers teeth. Am I right? am I right?

have a good night and an pleasant tomorrow. Peace

#136689 05/05/06 06:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

If you believe the curves that Axiom provides for their speaker response, then they are neutral or flat. They only reproduce what signals they are given.

Rat, you make it sound like Axiom speakers have a ruler flat frequency response. They have humps and spikes just like any other speaker, any of which provides the speaker with its own tonal character.
There are speakers which are better in this particular measurement. Take a look at the Goodsound archives.

Also keep in mind that there are other measurements which may not show on a frequency graph, such as the driver output, efficiencies per each driver, etc. One reason why i have the resistor in my M60s is that it takes down the tweeter output by 1-2 dB thus reducing some of the brightness that i perceive. This does not make the speakers any less detailed but the hypothesis of a greater SPL output in the tweeter section is perhaps one reason why i find Axioms bright compared to other speakers i've reviewed.
The fact remains that crappy recordings exist and if one owns a speaker that makes those recordings sound harsh, there is little recourse but to find a speaker that does not reproduce this effect. This does not mean you lose any detail. A comparison of any well made speaker and the mostly subtle nuances between them should show just how detailed many other brands are as well.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#136690 05/05/06 08:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Maybe someone else will chime in, but those curves are generated with a sweep generator with a constant power output. Thus, the driver effeciency would be shown in the curve. If I am mistaken, then the charts are somewhat bogus.

While other speakers may be more "flat," those are a pretty darn good set of curves.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,231 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup