Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Stereo system for $1000
#1374 02/07/02 02:54 AM
Marc Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
BBIBH, I ordered the M50's factory outlet. I have a choice between two walls for the speaker placement. One wall is directly behind the hall closet. I could put the components on shelves in the closet. Is this a good idea? Could you give me a specific recommendation of a good value and quality in cable and connections? Thanks, marc

#1375 02/07/02 03:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds like you are getting the system together! Let us know how it sounds!

In terms of where you place the equipment, that is really up to you and your decor. If you place it in the closet, ensure there is good ventilation. Overheated equipment can cause many problems, including poor sound and shortening the life of the piece. If you have a remote control, that also may be a factor. Ventilation is key. Also ensure proper electrical supply.

As for cables, I am sure you have read the threads on this board. The main idea is to provide a connection between pieces that does not impede the devices from working to their full capability. Cables are actually complex loads of inductance, capacitance and resistance across the frequency spectrum. Electrically there can be differences between cables of different prices, qualitites and materials. Acoustically, the difference is very much subjective to the individual. The different sides of the issue take stands such as the affects as being psychoacoustical phenomena" - meaning you are imagining, or convincing yourself there is a difference. This camp states that technically there is nothing different about cables when measured with meters and oscilloscopes. The other side states emphatically that cables do have an impact on sound, and claim the opposite camp also believes that a inexpensive component that measures technically well is the best. If that were true, we should all buy pieces entirely based on specifications they claim.

Were do I stand you ask? (Implied qustion LOL) I believe that there is a vast difference between the typical "throw in" interconnects that come with the piece, standard 22/24 gauge speaker wire (as displayed beautifully in most big box electronic stores, and cables of decent price and decent quality. My Axiom midfi setup is wired with Monster Cable interconnects (approx $60) and generic 12gauge speaker cable with pin connectors (Axiom included a very cheap guillotine speaker connector on the AX3) added for convenience. In my vastly more expensive system I have better pieces, and better cables. For those who will ask the question, yes, I have played with switching, and the cheaper cables do limit the expensive system, and the expensive cables do not improve the cheaper system - and I can not explain in great detail the differences....or sadly why.

Cables should be viewed as a completion of an already decent quality system. Adding $4k interconnects/cables (yes, they do exist) to a $1500 system will not cause a vast improvement. BUT adding $4 interconnects/cables to a $4k system will impact the sound. But for electrically measurable and explainable theoretical principles.

So to make a long story short, or a bad story over ;) Go to Home Depot, buy the 12g speaker cable in the lengths you need, find Monster (to name but 1 brand) interconnects for less than $100 and take the wife out for dinner with the rest of your money!

Regards,

BBIBH

#1376 02/14/02 04:23 AM
Marc Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
BBIBH, I set up the system yesterday and it sounds fabulous to me. My wife and kids say it sounds like live musicians. I have 10 gauge wire since the store didn't have 12 gauge. I still need to upgrade the interconnects which I will do. The total cost will end up at exactly $1000 and I am very satisfied. I had some trouble threading one of the spikes so I gave up for now on that. But overall I am very happy. Thank you for your expertise, patience, and willingness to help! marc (Roseville, California)

#1377 02/14/02 02:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Great news! You took your budget, researched the products that fit into it, and you are satified.

Welcome to the hobby we call audio!

You probably can finish your system for between $50-$100 for decent interconnects. Your system will then be complete....until you get that urge to listen to other pieces.....

and trust me, that urge DOES set in!

Regards,

BBIBH

#1378 03/06/03 10:36 PM
regular
regular
So do I understand this correctly that for longer runs (ie. those over 10')a 10/12 gauge wire should be used, and cheapo Home Depot wire will do the trick. I'm just about to start wiring-up my family room, and am considering QS4's for the rear surrounds and have some runs that are longer then just your normal run of the mill runs.
Additionally, can someone please suggest on how I should bring the wires out of the walls. ie. should I tuck all the cables into an electrical box attached to a stud, or just allow them to lay on the floor. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

#1379 03/07/03 12:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Allan,

Are you installing in-wall wires in your living room? If so, I think you should use the double-sheathed cables specifically designated for in-wall wiring. I see a 100’ roll of 12-gauge for about $20 at PartsExpress. Alternatively, you can lay the wires under the wall-to-wall carpet along the edges, or even in the middle of the room using flat wires like those from Monster. I also use Cordmate II raceways from Home Depot for an easy on-wall wire installation.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020