Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Another HTPC question. Output to multiple TVs?
#139477 05/25/06 03:09 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK. I am working on getting my wife convinced that "we" need a HTPC. My question right now is can a HTPC be set up to output to multiple TVs?

One of the main goals is to be able to possibly replace the DVR that came with our current DISH Network system that allows us to record 2 shows while playing back 2 others at the same time on 2 different TVs...

Is that possible? If not, then I might as well stop looking into a HTPC since I am working on a cost savings model here (drop DISH, go with cable TV with no DVR, saves $25 a month, we wanted a DVR with DVD Recorder, another $400 "savings", I want HD Over The Air, so I could integrate that into the HTPC, a wash in price, but one less "box"...) You get the idea. If I can "save" enough, I can afford the HTPC. But it needs to do what I am asking about above...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: Another HTPC question. Output to multiple TVs?
nickbuol #139478 05/25/06 04:45 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK. 48 views, and no replies.... Does any of our HTPC experts here have an answer or a place to point me to for this?

Thanks again.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: Another HTPC question. Output to multiple TVs
nickbuol #139479 05/25/06 05:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You can record 2 shows at once, but you are going to need more than 1 TV tuner card in your HTPC. If you want to record 2 at once, you will need 2 tuner cards. However, you will only be able to watch the channels that are being recorded. If you want more freedom, you are going to need another TV-Tuner card.

An HTPC can be set up to output to multiple TV's, but not different channels...I don't think. An HTPC is really meant to power one, Hi-Def TV. I'll try to look into this more, there might be software that allows you to ouput to multiple TV's much like different "monitors" on a computer. Even if you did get it set up, it would be tricky because you could only control the HTPC in one room, and etc.

P.S. Looked into it some, doubtful at the moment...

Last edited by danmagicman7; 05/25/06 06:01 PM.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #139480 05/25/06 06:23 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Yeah, I know all about the multiple tuner cards to record multiple shows. My rambling on above must have confused everyone.

Anyway, you are right on the mark that I want to output to multiple recordings to multiple TVs. THAT is the big question.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #139481 05/25/06 06:33 PM
devotee
devotee
As of right now that is not doable with one htpc (and even less the case with HDTV). The only solution that is comparable is having a media server where your recordings would be stored and access those recordings from different rooms, but that requires each TV to have a client machine to receive and play the recording...

So it would definitely require more than one pc for sure (or any other kind of device/media extender).

skyhawk669 #139482 05/25/06 07:50 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Makes me wonder how people can justify building HTPCs. I understand that DVD playback should be better, and you can have massive storage (at a cost too, though) for movies and music, but from what I hear, it is best to keep the install "clean" by not installing games or other unneeded applications...
For $1500++++ minimum, it seems like I could buy a couple DVRs with DVD recorders on them, a HDTV tuner for my home theater, and save the extra cash. Granted, the DVRs would be segregated from each other. I don't have a collection of MP3s or anything, so that isn't a factor...

Man, I was really looking (even though my bank account tells me otherwise) for a reason to push to get a HTPC.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #139483 05/25/06 08:07 PM
devotee
devotee
That's why a HTPC shouldn't be built just because... Not everybody needs one. To me it only makes sense if someone needs total control over video filters, tv recording, and media streaming accross a network etc... HTPC's require a lot of tweaking (that is the price to pay for extreme customization), so if you're not willing to spend that much time then I wouldn't recommend it. HTPC's allow you to design and build a sophisticated home video/audio system for the whole home for a fraction of the cost of a full blown commercial application, but they're more expensive in time taken to set it all up (not a piece of cake).

Also the whole HDTV/HDCP deal complicates the issue (though I'm pretty confident that workaround will be found).

skyhawk669 #139484 05/25/06 08:13 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi,

Sky is pretty much right. In order to have a htpc setup that will do what you already you'll to have 2 pc's. Server with 4 tv cards. Client no need for tv cards. Can set up on a wireless network. Server can be controlled from any room...rf remote or through remote with your Elite using zones. You'll also need an input/box for each tuner.

Cost wise your going to be hard pressed to overcome the wife factor. Unless you already have 2 pc's? Then it's only the cost of the tv cards and software to run it all. For me getting over the WF is realizing that ou have much more that a TV with htpc's IE watch a tv show while surfing the web or having an IM with a friend talking about how cute character XX is..hehe.

Now that I'm thinkin about it I quess you could use one pc using each tv as a monitor using dualview it would be a bear to set it up so it's even close to wife friendly though.

If you haven't yet check out Snapstream.com. Loads of info in thier foruum.

Hope this helps,
Leaf

Last edited by leaf; 05/25/06 08:14 PM.
leaf #139485 05/25/06 11:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't think the issue with my wife will be the cost factor. And I don't know that I "need" one when the time comes, but I don't have Tivo or anything like that yet and would prefer to go the HTPC route when the time comes mostly because I'm into computers and think it would be fun to play with.

That being said, when I mentioned it to my wife her comment was something to the affect of, "I don't want a computer sitting down there with the TV and other things. It won't look nice."

So, do any of the recommended quiet HTPC cases have a stylish look that would blend in well with the other equipment, instead of looking like you have a computer sitting there? I told her we could tuck it away in the corner, but I don't know if she's buying that.

Re: Another HTPC question. Output to multiple TVs?
nickbuol #139486 05/26/06 04:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You can do exactly what you want with MCE 2005.

Buy or build your main HTPC with MCE2005 then go buy an extender for it. There are a few out there, I know Linksys has one and the xbox and xbox360 can act as an extender. Basically what they will do is act as a front end so if you have stuff recorded on the main MCE box the extenders can play it back.

I currently have x2 SDTV and x1 HDTV tuners in my MCE box. I've been using all 3 tuners to record and played back a show I had recorded with no trouble at all (6600 & P4 3Ghz HT). One of the Microsoft MCE developers has a well know blog where he said he had something like x8 tuners running in his box. Just a easy registery setting change to allow it (and the hardware).

HTPC is deinitely a hobby to most but its quickly becomming a bit more mainstream. Microsoft is really driving it right now, I can't wait for Vista MCE.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup