Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
VP150 location in new HDTV setup
#144221 07/26/06 01:15 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and make my first foray into the world of HD. I am likely getting the KDS50A2000 when it comes out next week. Early word on the already released 60" model is good, but I just don't have the space for it with my current setup. The TV would have to go to a different wall, which would also mean there is no good location for my surrounds to go. Anyway....my question is about the center channel. I will get this stand or something similar. [url=http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=tv_StandsScreens_36"to70"TVStands&ProductSKU=SURS11M&TabName=specs&var2=]Sony Style 50" Stand[/url]

The center would go on the shelf right below the TV. Anyone see as issue with sound quality moving it down there? It won't sit on top of the TV, and I really don't know where else I could put it. FMB from the ceiling isn't really an option because the TV backs to an open staircase, so it just wouldn't look right coming down the steps. For the same reason, I can't build a shelf above the TV, since it is not a full wall, so there would be no where to mount the shelf. The TV itself will probably just fit height wise so that it doesn't stick up above where the stair wall slants down. If it does a little I'll live with it, but there certainly wouldn't be room for a shelf.

This is all just my long winded way of saying does anyone see any issues, and if so, any better options? The only thing I can think of is to try to tilt the center up a little, to aim it more towards our heads, if there is even space for that, since shelving space height wise might be a little tight as well.

And just to throw this in, is everyone that got the XBR1 from Sony last year still happy with their set?

Re: VP150 location in new HDTV setup
Zarak #144222 07/26/06 02:51 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Sure, Jason; putting it on the shelf below the TV(far enough forward to not diffract from the shelf edges)should work well. Tilt it upward to more or less point at your ears, possibly by just flipping it upside-down so that the slant automatically applies the tilt.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Zarak #144223 07/26/06 02:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

You should have no problem putting your center under your tv on that stand. I also have mine on a stand below my tv and it sounds great, you can always stick a couple small furniture stickum pads under the front of the speaker to angle it up slightly.

HomeDad #144224 08/23/06 12:03 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I don't want to be a buzzkill here or anything, and my comments don't conform precisely with this thread, but I haven't hijacked anything in about ten minutes so here I am.

Ahem.

Once upon a time, in the Tuttleplex Home Cinema and Saloon, the VP100 center speaker was placed in a cabinet below the bigass TV. This worked well enough, as the proprietor had taken careful measure of the angles and baffles and such. Then, one day, that spot in the equipment rack was required for some other purpose, and - having the option to do so - your correspondent employed an omnimount contraption and moved the speaker up on top of the TV.

Lo, and behold. The dialog became like clarified butter (except without all that whey in the bottom of the cup). The soundstage opened up like Bruce Willis with an uzi. The highs verily chimed as if on the breath of angels. Peace broke out in the middle east.

Okay, it wasn't THAT big a deal, but it sounded better to me in that TOTALLY unscientific way. It is very noticably better for movies, even though the tweeter of the center is now 3 feet higher than the mains.

But it does look really weird.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #144225 08/23/06 12:38 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Since you've hijacked!

Having tried above and below, I really like my M3s, one above and one below.

bugbitten #144226 08/23/06 03:14 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I guess that Omnimount is working well for you then. I've heard two negatives that have kept me away:

1. It doesn't seem to stay on top of the TV, potentially causing your center to fall off.

2. People don't like that extra weight sitting on back of the TV.

Another issue for me is I have the VP150. I don't think they make the omni's big enough for it.

I have the stand now and am going to set it up tomorrow. I will probably put the VP150 on the shelf below the TV and put it upside down, so that the speakers are angled up towards the seating. We'll see if I notice a difference, since it is on top of the current entertainment center.

I better get the BEFORE picture while I am thinking of it, so I can have the AFTER picture to compare with the new equipment.

Zarak #144227 08/23/06 03:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The center below works well in my setup, partly because my stand is so high it almost puts the center at ear level, another issue is it looks better that way and keeps the boss happy

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Zarak #144228 08/23/06 04:25 AM
E
buff
buff
E
I used to have my VP150 sitting on top of my television, and had it that way for a long time.

Recently, I got a new t.v. and stand, and it is now sitting underneath the T.V. on my stand. It's tilted to aim directly at my listening position, and pulled out enough so that the front of the speaker is right at the edge of my stand- so there is nothing obstructing the sound to the sides or above/below it. It has room behind it, too, though I don't know if that matters much since it isn't ported- but the fact remains that it can "breath" and doesn't sound like it's inhibited in any way by shelving/objects around it.

I think that as long as you make sure it isn't pushed back too far in your cabinet, and the drivers have unubstructed room around them, you'll be happy.

I like how my setup is now, because before the center channel speaker (especially with it being so relatively big), drew a lot of attention to itself up ontop of the t.v. Now my setup is more sleak and the center speaker blends in with the rest of my setup better.

Zarak #144229 08/23/06 12:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I used to have VP100 on top of a 27" CRT TV, then briefly moved it down below the TV (I forget why).

IMO the sound was more clear below the TV than above, however it may be because the mounting position below the TV was essentially "floating" on a small cardboard box, ie fewer edges to affect the sound.

Now I have graduated to a projector and a dark green wall the center speaker is staying on the box (well, I like to call it a "stand" ).

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Zarak #144230 08/23/06 03:57 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

I guess that Omnimount is working well for you then. I've heard two negatives that have kept me away:

1. It doesn't seem to stay on top of the TV, potentially causing your center to fall off.

2. People don't like that extra weight sitting on back of the TV.

Another issue for me is I have the VP150. I don't think they make the omni's big enough for it.

I have a 150 which WAS used above on the omnimount and below the TV in the stand. I had no problems with the omnimount.

My problem was dialog not being tied to the screen. It sounded either above or below. I changed to M3s split above and below and love the results. The VP150 is in the box in the closet (hate that).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 226 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup