Print Thread
Rate Thread
DVD Player / Customer Service / Advice requested
#150895 11/06/06 11:53 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello all,

I am asking for advice on how to hand a situation regarding the repair of my DVD player. I think the best way to start the explanation is with the letter I submitted with the player five weeks ago:

Sept 30, 2006
Dear B&M Store,
SUBJECT: CONTINUAL FAILURE OF INTEGRA DPC-7.5

This letter is in reference to my Integra DPC-7.5 6-disc DVD changer (SN -------), purchased November 13 2004. This unit is a “B-stock” unit that carries a 2-year warranty.

Several months ago, this DVD changer started exhibiting frequent “freezes” when playing random DVD discs. It was first brought in for service on June 24, 2006 and was repaired by replacing the pick-up laser unit (wait time: 1 week). The player worked satisfactorily for approximately three weeks and then the same “freezing” symptoms reappeared.

The DPC-7.5 was then returned for a second service and was repaired by replacing the laser unit (again) and the drive motor mechanism (wait time: 3 weeks). Once again, the player worked properly for several weeks.

Approximately one week ago, the DPC-7.5 froze on two separate occasions, with two different DVD discs. Both discs were not smudged or marked in any way. This morning I attempted to play a brand-new DVD and the DPC-7.5 exhibited two new issues:

The first is that upon hitting [PLAY] in the DVD menu the player freezes immediately. Stopping the player and restarting does activate this DVD.

The second issue is the appearance of the letter “T” in the bottom middle of the screen upon playing this DVD. I was not able to make the letter “T” disappear even when changing DVD’s. Powering the unit off and then on again did work to remove the letter “T”.

Due to all of the above problems, and continual hassles with constantly bringing this unit in for service, I would like final resolution to the problem. This resolution can occur in several ways:

Actually fixing the DPC-7.5 and an extension of the original 2-year warranty for an additional year (expiring on Nov 13, 2007)

Replacing the DPC-7.5 (SN -------) with a new “B-stock” replacement unit, that carries the normal 2-year warranty

Accepting a return of the subject DPC-7.5 (SN -------) and issuance of store credit for the full-purchase price ($---.--).

Please realize that I do not fault B&M Store in any way for the problems that I have experienced, and I have always enjoyed exceptional service by B&M Store for more than 10-years. Please feel free to contact me at (xxx-xxx-xxxx – home; or xxx-xxx-xxxx – work) to discuss this matter.

Best regards,

Wednesday of last week I still had not heard a thing from the B&M store, so I called about the repair. The store manager told me that the player had been repaired for a “jitter issue” and a “cap was replaced”. Hopefully it would be back at the store by the weekend. Well, once again I heard nothing for the rest of last week, so this afternoon (Monday) I called the store and asked about the DVD player. I was told that it just arrived today and was not yet unpacked.

After work today, I stopped by the store to pick up the player and on the outside of the box was a large orange sticker that said “NOT REPAIRED”. I immediately asked what was done to the player and the paperwork inside stated that the repair facility could not replicate the issue(s), all system checked out within acceptable parameters, and that the software was the cause.

Well, I was a bit upset (understatement) because I do not see why it took 5 weeks for the repair center to NOT fix anything. This just blows my mind.

Secondarily, the 2-year warranty expires next Tues so I’m almost out of warranty. I was told by the sales rep “It’s not any kind of conspiracy if that’s what you’re thinking.”

So I told the sales rep that I’m not accepting the unit and that I wanted better resolution to the situation. He recommended that I speak with the store manager or the owner (one of whom is supposed to call me tomorrow).

Any ideas on how to handle this situation?

Thanks.

- JasonEuc M50's, CC370, M3's, Rotel RSX-965, Integra DPC 7.5, Harmony 688
Re: DVD Player / Customer Service / Advice requested
JasonEuc #150896 11/07/06 01:11 AM
K
hobbyist
hobbyist
K
Ouch!

My life is contract negotiation... I'm a VP/IT & CIO and what I've found is that people are willing to do something for you if you can do something for them. I have no idea if it will work for B&M - or if you are willing to try it - but do they have any other similar or better DVD player (I have a Denon and a Cambridge and can recommend both) that you would be willing to trade to for a nominal sum? If you can put something into it for them, even $50, then they may be willing to make it work for you.

Or not. But it's one of those things that may be worth a try if you are willing.

ken
Followup
JasonEuc #150897 11/08/06 08:52 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Here's a followup to my post above:

Yesterday (Tues) I went in person to the B&M store during the day so I'd have a chance to discuss the situation in person with the manager and/or the owner.

We talked about the situation a bit, specifically the fact that the repair center could not find a fault with the player. I suggested that we hook up the player right then and there to give it a test. I had brought along a DVD that consistently locked up at the very beginning.

So we connected the DVD player to one of their HT systems, and the manager started playing the disc. Immediate lockup. He took the DVD to another player in another HT system and it played fine. Ah ha!

The store's resolved my situation by giving me a brand new Integra DPC 7.5 DVD changer. Not a refurbished unit. Not another B-stock. A brand new player that carries a full 3-year warranty.

I am VERY pleased with this result.

So, the end of my story (at least this chapter), is that customer service is still alive and well. I do think I benefited by an on-going relationship with this store over the past 12 years or so. I have purchased a lot of equipment from them, and took many prospective customers in to them.

Integra get my thumbs up for a company willing to stand behind their product. A very refreshing idea, in this day and age.

Much like our liked and respected friends at Axiom.

- JasonEuc M50's, CC370, M3's, Rotel RSX-965, Integra DPC 7.5, Harmony 688
Re: Followup
JasonEuc #150898 11/08/06 10:45 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Love it when CS stands for something.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 999 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup