AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Greg's pseudo-HT room
EP175v4 with M3v4
Who's Online
3 registered (kah68, oakvillematt, Kevin1), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13336 Members
11 Forums
22945 Topics
405837 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17809
pmbuko 16298
SirQuack 13344
CV 11273
MarkSJohnson 10966
Meanwhile On Facebook

Shopping made easy! Need it by the 24th? Upgrade to air shipping for just $20!...

Just two more days! Better tell your gift-givers! http://axiomaudio.com/holida...

So many people took advantage of the weekend sales! Lots of auditioning about t...

Only a few hours left to get a gift card worth up to 25% of your purchase! http:...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151909 - 11/23/06 02:57 AM cabling question
muttsinparadise Offline
buff

Loc: Hawaii
Aloha Friday Axiomites: Once again, I beg of your knowledge and expertise... my Epic 80 setup should be arriving in a week or so, and I ordered the Outlaw 990/7125 combo today. Speaker cabling went well with Belden 12 White from Blue Jeans, and I actually built a hanging center shelf using Arakawa hardware that looks great. As for interconnects, I have a question: I remember reading that extra speaker cable should not be loosely coiled due to, I suppose, generated noise? Is this true, and if so, does it apply to amp-preamp interconnects, S-video cable, or Digital Audio cable? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to purchase longer cables than currently necessary, as there is little additional cost. Oh, also, I see from one of the other posts that banana plugs will not fit the QS8's when they're used with the wall brackets. If I'm planning on just using the stock T-bracket, will bananas fit, or should I hold off on finishing the ends of my surround cables? thanks as always...

#151910 - 11/23/06 03:35 AM Re: cabling question [Re: muttsinparadise]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Mark, coils of wire form inductors, which roll off the high frequencies. This is how in a speaker crossover the highs are kept out of the woofer. The practice is frowned upon, but a few coils of speaker wire wouldn't have an appreciable effect. Shielded wires, such as the cables you mention, wouldn't create a significant inductance, so don't worry about it.

Yes, I understand that the regular QS T-brackets don't leave enough room to use banana plugs.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#151911 - 11/23/06 03:48 AM Re: cabling question [Re: muttsinparadise]
muttsinparadise Offline
buff

Loc: Hawaii
Mahalo John. Bummer about the bananas but at least it sounds funny. Aloha.

#151912 - 11/23/06 08:07 AM Re: cabling question [Re: muttsinparadise]
bridgman Offline
axiomite

Loc: Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.