Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Any other metal heads on the forum?
thyname #154369 01/11/07 06:36 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

As for the good quality metal CDs, I found the majority of the new material really good in my Rotel/Axiom system, however only a few really stand out. Murph, Helloween latest album (Keeper - legacy) is really good sound quality and not such good music quality. I agree older albums, such as "Walls of Jericho" and both "Keepers" even the "remastered" versions do not sound good at all in a good system. Pity they were their best!

You should check out Gamma Ray. That's the band that Kai Hansen (Helloween) formed-I think shortly after Keeper Part II, but I'm not sure. Every time I've bought a Helloween album since Chameleon I've been hoping to see a return to the earlier style of Helloween. I only recently discovered Gamma Ray (I had heard of them but I never gave them a listen) and I now realize that Kai Hansen took the soul of the band with him. The first album I got was Majestic, and I didn't like it that much-but I got "Blast From the Past" which is a greatest hits, and there are a lot of awesome tracks that sound great on my speakers.

DrunkenWolf #154370 01/11/07 05:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for all the suggestions. I keep a shopping list of sorts on my Blackberry for those very few times lately I have extra cash to spend.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
DrunkenWolf #154371 01/11/07 07:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

You should check out Gamma Ray.

Of course I know Gamma Ray, great material, but started to repeat themselves (and early Helloween) after a while. I agree Kai is a great musician.

My favorite album is "Powerplant" Check it out! Also see my earlier post for a list of very similar European bands.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
thyname #154372 01/14/07 09:39 AM
D
D
Wow, who knew that so many old-school bangers grew up to write on forums!? I'm one of ya!

Someone earlier mentioned Faith No More - both of their first two LPs crushed all!!! Additionally, bend an ear to Judas Priest's 'Hero/Hero' LP, from wayyy back...

Anyway, funny as hell to run into old-schoolers like you fellows Oh ya, check out Fist's 'Fleet Street' and Death Angel's 'The Ultraviolence'

Andrew D.

www.cdnav.com

Last edited by DigitalFrontiers; 01/14/07 09:40 AM.

"It's difficult to understand something, when your salary depends on you not understanding it"
DigitalFrontiers #154373 01/14/07 04:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, I agree!

I listen to all types of music, and my main "brand" is rock/hard rock/metal. I really enjoy most, especially Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Y&T, AC/DC, and some of the lesser knowns - Saxon, Krokus,Tesla...and the list could go on forever...

I think that the lines get blurred and we try too hard to categorize bands. I have approximately 2000 pieces of music (CD's and LP's), and it would take days to get a list of the good works.

It would certainly be a walk down memory lane!!!

BBIBH #154374 01/15/07 02:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Maiden's "Rock in Rio" finally arrived!!
Wow! Just Wow!

Also inspired me to finally watch, "Metal, a Headbangers Journey" that I had on my PVR for weeks. A very interesting documentary on the origin's, growth and current state of all types of metal and it's fans. It's a must see for anybody interested not just in metal, but in sociology or phsycology.

Speaking of pshycology, last year I went on a work trip trip where I also went to see a friend play in a symphony, we went to a Blues club afterwards and then I flew back and stayed an extra night in Halifax for a Motley Crue concert with my brother. You should have seen my schytzophrenic suitcase of clothes.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #154375 01/19/07 05:08 AM
D
hobbyist
hobbyist
D
I wouldn't consider myself strictly a metal head but I do listen to a lot of heavy music that does get lumped into the metal genre. As far as metal I listen to a lot of doom, drone, sludge, crust, d-beat and even old school death and black metal if I'm in the right mood.

I'm sure after sharing I've now lost any potential friends I could have made on this forum!

dronevil #154376 01/19/07 06:44 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
Quote:

I wouldn't consider myself strictly a metal head but I do listen to a lot of heavy music that does get lumped into the metal genre. As far as metal I listen to a lot of doom, drone, sludge, crust, d-beat and even old school death and black metal if I'm in the right mood.

I'm sure after sharing I've now lost any potential friends I could have made on this forum!

Wow, I have listened to hard rock/metal for 20+ years, but have never heard all those sub-genres! Care to note the differences between them? Or can i view it on wikipedia?

And don't tell me crust has to do with the sound that 3-day old underwear makes!!!

Epic Grande Master 500 w/ on wall VP180
Nachosgrande #154377 01/20/07 06:34 AM
regular
regular
>And don't tell me crust has to do with the sound that 3-day >old underwear makes!!

Well no, but the people making it might know that sound intimately...heh.

Reading this thread I wanted to make a shameless plug for a radio show I sort of grew up listening to, http://www.rootofallevil.com/ played on a Minneapolis community radio station http://www.kfai.org/

Okay, well maybe not grew up, but I first discovered it when I was 14 or 15 and am now 30. But it's the only show of its kind that I've heard. Usually starting at 1:06 (66) in the morning of Sunday (CST) and going until 6:06 (66) am. Usually it will start off playing stuff like bootleg Iron Maiden, Manowar, Black Sabbath, maybe Dead Kennedys, and then sort of slowly descends down that path (Metallica to Brujeria to Pestilence to Goatlord to whatever nonsenseblackmetalyoukidsareintothesedays...or maybe Frank Zappa).

To be honest, since moving from Mpls years ago I've not had much of a chance to listen to the show, lacking a high-speed Internet connection at home, but I wanted to make the plug all the same. Earl Root(who, from the site, sounds like he's fallen quite ill since I've left home, my heart goes out to him), the DJ, is just about the most stand-up straight-shooting goofball metalhead you'll ever know. So give the show a listen if you've got the hours. Not the best quality and you need RealPlayer (bleh), but worth checking out at least an archive or two if you're into metal.

disposablethumb #154378 01/25/07 09:10 PM
B
B
Greetings all,

This is my first post after reading the Axiom forums for months. As a metalhead for 25 years, I figured this forum would be the appropriate place to dive in.

Some of my favourites of the past few years that I'd recommend checking out:

Lamb of God - Sacrament
Fear Factory - Demanufacture (reissue; killer sound)
Hanzel und Gretyl - Scheissmessiah (industrial metal)
Judas Priest - Vengeance and Defenders (remastered - again, excellent sound)
Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll; Are you Dead Yet?
Dark Tranquility - Character
Rammstein - any and all albums

And, for those who only go as far as hard rock:

Wolfmother - s/t
Priestess - Hello Master
Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby!

I "only" have a pair of M3's as my receiver is in the living room. But, man, they really, really kick!

Ahhh ... that felt good.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020