Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ouch!! This hurt (not so technical post)
#158553 02/14/07 07:48 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Guys:

Finally I unpacked my beloved speakers that were in container after I moved out of the US. I am setting the system in my parents/brothers house. There was some "minor damage" to the speakers, and as I am about to go back to where I work (not in the place the speakers are) will be very difficult to get the insurance to cover for the damage while being overseas.

So, I am posting on the technical forum, as you guys with experience with the Axioms can give me a hand. I have 2 damage to fix, and I havent plug the speakers yet.

First, the easy one. By my own mistake, I left the banana plugs connected to the VP150, which in turn broke the binding posts. The extra lenght caused some leverage, and during the moving the post broke in two at the threads. I havent opened the binding posts yet, as I have a whole lot of unpacking to do (Axioms were first!!). Can the binding post be replaced DIY ?

Second, and very bad one. The Volume knob on the EP500 broke. I guess something hit the packing very hard, breaking the knob in the very edge of the amp. I mean, I have no extra lenght of the screw to work with or something. Any ideas? Can the knob be replaced with a new one, without turning the EP500 in? Also the "Line In" plug its loose, but as I havent power the speakers, maybe tomorrow, I dont know if there is audible damage.

Please guys, if you have some ideas to fix the binding post, or solutions for the volume knob, please let me know. At this stage, sending any Axiom from Venezuela to Canada its not an easy feat, as I wont be there (I am working in Ecuador), and I dont think my family have the time to work with the insurance agency. Keep in mind, that once outside the US, insurance companies are very picky to pay back.

P.S.: Before the question is ask, yes, the speakers were packed without the original box. I ask Axiom about getting some empty boxes, but the price of the shipping such a volume was high, and the moving company assured me that the speakers were going to be fine packed on their own box, which I believe. Looking at the way the packers did their job in the US I was amazed, but once the speakers arrived to South America, another history came over. I saw the container when it arrived at my parent house, different one that the one that traveled across the caribean, and the boxes were loose, and some of them fell when they were unloading. I will put the claim to the insurance company, but I guess will be very difficult to get this "small" stuff going. Usually, major damage have to occure to furniture, electronics, or something bigger than a volume knob and a binding post in order to get the insurance to move. Its sucks, but South America its a tough place for this kind of claims, specially when I want to send back a 73lbs EP500 for a volume knob change... see what I mean ??

Re: Ouch!! This hurt (not so technical post)
aabouganem #158554 02/14/07 08:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I would highly recommend contact Axiom to see if they can send you replacement parts.

If anyone will know anything about how to fix it, the good folks at Axiom will know.

That sucks man, especially the EP500...Can't you take off the face plate for the amp on the EP500?

If you get an alan wrench, I would take off the face plate and peek inside to see what can be done?

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
aabouganem #158555 02/14/07 08:21 PM
shareholder in the making
Can you file claims against the shipping/packing company?

Hutzal #158556 02/14/07 08:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hutz has the right idea with replacement parts. The binding posts are an easy DIY, and I'm sure a TV repair shop down there would be able to swap out the pot (potentiometer) without much trouble.

OR

The volume control turns pretty freely. It wouldn't take too much pressure on whats left of the shaft to adjust it. Once it's set, you probably won't have to touch it again.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
real80sman #158557 02/14/07 08:39 PM
FWIW, you might b able to cut a groove across the potentiometer's "post" so you can adjust the volume with a screwdriver.

Not the perfect solution, but if it's your last shot....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Hutzal #158558 02/14/07 08:42 PM
It would take more than an Allen wrench. Looks like you would also need a Torx (star) possibly.

Good Luck...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #158559 02/14/07 09:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was thinking that the faceplate was connected to the entire amp assembly. Probably the full amp would need to be replaced from Axiom. I certainly could be wrong here.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
dllewel #158560 02/15/07 03:02 AM
local
local
maybe the volume knob for the sub is in a usable position, and can be tweaked via the receiver ??? at least for awhile

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
MarkSJohnson #158561 02/15/07 12:50 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, the knob issue was solved with a similar solution than the groove and screwdriver.

Very carefully I used a low speed drill and made a hole in the center of the broken shaft, then I screwed in a little hook, and Voila!!! the EP500 its back in business. Not pretty, but no one will see it in its position... Powered up, and what a surprise... A brick and mortar house vibrates so much less that my drywall apartment on the US, that I can really listen to the sub without breaking anything... It just wonderful...

The binding post I'll see today what kind of post I can find locally. Sure I can find something for DIY as you guys mention.

Another thing I found last night while firing the speakers (about 2am) was that on of the M22 was making this horrible "broken speaker" sound... I almost started to cry, when I get close to the speaker, which I am not sure if I got that close to look for a broken driver or just to hold the speaker and cry, well, the speaker cabinet was vibrating. It got loose on the movingm sure it was dropped. That I'll claim to the insurance as well, but it seems that just making some DIY braces, or similar could help. I really learnt that proper bracing on a cabinet its esential.. what an ugly sound if not...

I'll, for the time I wait for the insurance to accept purchasing another cabinet, tighten it with wood flat-head screws, carefully inserted. It will ruin the looks, but they will be very discrete, almost unnoticeable...

aabouganem #158562 02/15/07 01:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Do you know what is wrong with the M22? Did the tweeter go out on it?

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020