Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Room Accoustics - Please advise
#161603 03/14/07 10:04 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I posted this question at Audioholics.com and got an underwhelming response. Perhaps you all can help me: I have accepted the task of researching A/V products for my parents' new home, which is nearing the end of construction. They displayed their (uninformed) desire for high-end equipment when they dropped $12K at the Bose boutique. Luckily, I was able to convince them to return it all and we've been piecing it all together over the last few months.

The main remaining purchase is the 5.1 speaker setup in the living room/home theater. I was ready to sell them on Axiom speakers when I began to recognize the severe difficulties of the room's accoustics. Before I describe the room, let me pose my question: Given the room's dimensions/accoustical properties, would it be a waste to purchase a $1500+ Axiom setup if the room is going to make it sound like a $200 HTIB?

The room: The living room is completely open to the kitchen with hardwood floor throughout. From the primary listening position, the kitchen is to the left. The couch will most likely be positioned directly against the back wall, about 15' from the TV. The ceiling starts at 8' height at the right wall, but it's vaulted to a peak of 12' between the living room and kitchen. The ceiling is faced with hardwood as well.

My greatest fear is that the room's accoustics will make the Axioms sound so bad, they'll wish they'd kept the Bose (which sounded great in their accoustically sound demo theater with nothing to compare to). Another speaker option I recently discovered is the Hsu Ventriloquist, which is under $600. Would we be better off saving $1K going this rout if the room is as awful as it seems? Thanks for the help.

Re: Room Accoustics - Please advise
FunkIncubator #161604 03/14/07 10:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sheesh, if they were going to spend 12K on that, they can get the best Axiom has to offer, the Epic 80 500/600 and be WAAAAY better off. When it comes to comparing speakers, acoustics DO play a part, but not to the point where Bose's would outplay Axioms.

To combat acoustics all they really need to do is get a throw rug down to stop floor reflectings to their primary seating. It will make a world of difference. Besides that, unless they want to get into bass traps and such, there isn't much else they can do. They could also add a mid frequency panel on the ceiling at the first reflection point. This would elminate alot of problems too.

NO glass coffee tables in front of the couch!

There may be more options, hopefully others will chime in.

Last edited by Hutzal; 03/14/07 10:23 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #161605 03/14/07 10:39 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks. I should qualify the Bose thing. $12K was for the whole house - 4 'zones.' The living room one was $4K, and that included a (substandard) receiver, (substandard) DVD player, (substandard) music storage/server, and the famous(ly substandard) cube speakers. Bose insults aside, the 5.1 speaker budget is about $1500. Of course, many of you own a sub that costs that much, but these folks are not audiophiles. I'm sure they will thoroughly appreciate Axiom's entry level Epic midi setup, that is if their room doesn't diminish it too much.

I hadn't thought about the coffee table, I'm sure there will be one. Is that really another issue? It will probably be wood, but should I recommend some fabric on it?

FunkIncubator #161606 03/14/07 10:42 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I've heard of worse rooms. I think they'd probably be fine, although the Epic Midi might be considered a little small for the room.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #161607 03/14/07 10:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I've heard of worse rooms. I think they'd probably be fine, although the Epic Midi might be considered a little small for the room.

I agree, at least go with the M3s if you can, and optimally, M22s.

REgarding the coffee table, if you put a glass coffee table on the throw rug, its kind of cancelling the throw rug effects out.

However, if the coffee table had a thick cloth on it, I think that would be ok.

For the supreme information on acoustics, goto ethanwiner.com He is the man.

-Hutz

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
FunkIncubator #161608 03/14/07 10:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Funk,

I have M80s in a room similar to theirs and don't have accoustical nightmares. An Epic Master would give them a fine sound and a Grand Master would be better. IMHO.

FunkIncubator #161609 03/15/07 02:57 AM
aficionado
aficionado
With today's open floor plan homes.....many rooms will be something like the one you are dealing with.
It seems to me, some go WAY too far concerning "room accoustics".
ANY brand of HT speakers, will have the same factors to deal with.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #161610 03/15/07 03:51 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thank you all for your recommendations. I hope that a Grand Master 350 fits the budget, but as you say, Larry, it's choices, balance, and timing. Timing and balance are limiting our choices in a way they didn't when the house was just a wood frame. Now they must balance custom cabinetry and tile with the speaker budget, when six months it looked like they had more money than they knew what to do with.

I read a lot about speaker recommendations based on the room dimensions/layout in these forums. As it relates to the sub, say the 175 vs. the 350, do I get lower frequency response and more volume with the better sub, or is the 350 also cleaner and tighter? For the target audience, clean and tight will be more important than loud and low. Am I safe with the 175, or will the 350 be needed (I know it will be better, but will it be needed)? How does the room affect this? Will the smaller sub 'die' in the big room, or will the reflective surfaces amplify the sound to unwanted levels? Is there no way to predict? I hope you are answering because you enjoy this stuff. I don't want to give anyone a headache (besides myself).

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044