Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Here's my new setup!
#16539 08/03/03 08:51 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
I cannot get the image placement in the message to work. Here's the url. Thanks once gain for all the help. I am loving my system.

http://home.twmi.rr.com/ravinuthala/index.htm

Ravi

Re: Here's my new setup!
#16540 08/03/03 09:01 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
That's pretty sweet! Care to give a description of all of the equipment? And is that a custom finish I see?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#16541 08/03/03 10:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Very nice setup Ravi.
It looks like things have worked out in your tight space quite alright.
Those new speaker finishes look great!

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#16542 08/04/03 12:49 AM
aficionado
aficionado
looks great!is that samsung one of the new dlp tvs?the picture looks very sharp....ron

#16543 08/04/03 01:41 AM
old hand
old hand
Hi Ravi,

Looks really neat and clean - everything - the Samsung TV, Speaker setup and the whole living room too ! Is that the Mansfield Beech finish ? Here's the URL link to Ravi's Setup

I have a couple of questions since my 'next' setup (M60's on order in Beech finish) is going to be similar (but not as peculiar) as yours...

1) Your listening position - is it approx. 12-14 feet from the screen. How's the imaging - especially since the M22's are only 50-inches apart ? Although I often see the mention of Equilateral triangle setup, most users actually end up using the Isosceles triangle (A triangle with two sides of equal length) setup which works out fine too.

Have you tried moving your listening position closer to the speakers ? How does it sound ? If I had a similar setup, I just can't imagine myself sitting on your 3-seater sofa (too far away) for music or HT.

I would definitely prefer to maybe put a temporary armchair in place of the little table which would bring me closer to the speakers and also the surrounds (my preference only).

2) Also how are the surround effects with HT ? Again the reason for asking is because I felt the surrounds are quite a distance in the front and far away too (again with reference to the 3-seater sofa as the listening area) ?

I am sure you must have adjusted the HK 525's rear levels. Care to share the db levels on the rear / surrounds ?

3) Where is the VTF-2 placed ?

4) Another silly question that comes to mind... when selecting your system components, did you consider front projection screen - Wow - you have a lovely free wall above the fireplace and main speakers and surrounds placement would have been so much easier.
Of course, I am sure there are so many other factors to be considered when going for a projection setup which I am completely ignorant of - so just ignore my ramblings about the projection bit.

Anyway good luck with your pretty setup.

Cheers / Mahesh

#16544 08/04/03 09:39 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
My gear:
Axiom M22 Mansfield Beech with tan grill
QS8 surrounds
VP150 center
Hsu VTF-2 sub
Samsung HLN617W
HK 525 receiver
Motorola 5100 from my cable company
Panasonic CP72S DVD player

The distance from the middle seat of the three seater is 15 feet to the front speakers; Right surround is 9 feet and left surround is 10 feet. VTF-2 is in the right corner below the palm tree. The db levels are 10 db for both front speakers, center and left surround. Right surround is 8 db. I used the HK autocalibration for the delay times.

1. I am thrilled with the M22s in this setup. I was afraid of the same thing, but along with the sub, the imaging is great. By the way, I emailed Dr. Hsu and he suggested I place the sub in that corner. Surround effects are wonderful. I just watched "Basic" movie last night. It is unbelievable.

2. I cannot change the position of the seats (WAF, you know). I had to pay for the sofa table to cover the back of the sofa for placing the sofa at an angle instead of to the wall. The center table is really huge and there is no other place I can put it. In addition, apparently if I cram the seats closer, the "ambience" and "openness" will suffer (according to my wife). I do not see the need for it though. The setup sounds pretty good as it is.

3. The left wall (20 feet) is a wall of windows.My wife is planning to hang sheers along the windows and wants to keep them open. So there is enormous ambient light, hence no front projection. Also, the room opens into breakfast area and kitchen, so I cannot control the light. However, I have the permission to build a custom home theater in our basement and do whatever I want with it. I was going to put a front projection screen there. This was supposed to be a setup for family viewing and as stop gap for me. Now I am wondering if it is worth building another one. I hardly have the time to watch this setup. So, that is up in the air. I am praying I will be able to find enough time to justify the dedicated setup.

4. By the way, the 61" DLP is awesome! I thought DVD is as good as it gets. And then I saw Fifth element in HD on HBO and I was literally blown away.

Ravi

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters