AxiomAudio Blog

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
1 registered (CV), 87 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13295 Members
11 Forums
22826 Topics
403227 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17740
pmbuko 16258
SirQuack 13318
CV 11140
MarkSJohnson 10832
Meanwhile On Facebook

A very fond farewell party last night . . . we miss you Noreen!

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172527 - 07/14/07 02:17 AM Whatís your favorite photo editing software?
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
Now that Iíve got this DSLR camera and a few hundred really crappy pictures, whatís a good photo editing program?

I tried the software that came with the camera, and Iím not all that happy with it. I canít believe Iím saying this, but itís just too basic.

I think I need noise reduction. No, I know I need itÖ.

Iíd like to be able to combine shots taken where there is extreme exposure setting differences (like a really bright sunset over a dark mountain peak). I donít know if there is anything that will do that, but I was thinking if I could take two pictures of the same thing, with two different exposures, I could cut and paste?? I dunno, maybe Iím just dreaming, but that would be cool.

Iím still using JPEG, but think after I figure this thing out, Iíll use Raw + JPEG, so it would be cool if I didnít have to use two separate programs to convert and process.

That six hundred dollar Photo Shop is too expensive for me.

Iíve looked at about a dozen different programs, and really donít which one to get. I figured Iíd ask you guys before I go downloading a bunch of trial versions.

I'd like to stitch panoramas too.

#172528 - 07/14/07 09:19 AM Re: Whatís your favorite photo editing software? [Re: michael_d]
Ajax Offline
axiomite

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Mike, you might consider the more affordable Adobe PhotoShop Elements. The name explains it. It might still be too "basic" for you, but I can't say.

You can find a lot of opinions, reviews, and tips and tutorials on the internet.

Adobe Photoshop Elements Techniques

Photoshop Elements Tutorials and User Resources

The above were found by simply by googling "Photoshop Elements."

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

#172529 - 07/14/07 09:21 AM Re: Whatís your favorite photo editing software? [Re: michael_d]
bray Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Colorado
I know the price of photoshop is steep but there really isnt anything that comes close.
Which camera did you end up getting?

Edited by bray (07/14/07 09:22 AM)

#172530 - 07/14/07 10:43 AM Re: Whatís your favorite photo editing software? [Re: michael_d]
sonicfox Offline
aficionado

Loc: Davenport, Iowa, USA
The GIMP is an open source free software which I believe is capable of doing anything Photoshop can. I've downloaded it, but I haven't figured out how to use it yet. It certainly looks like it has a LOT of features though, so I guess it's worth giving it a shot...it's free!
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD

#172531 - 07/14/07 11:17 AM Re: Whatís your favorite photo editing software? [Re: sonicfox]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Thanks Alex. Elements was already on my list to look at. I had not read all the reviews though, thanks for the links. Adobe also has one out called Lightroom that looks pretty good too.

Thereís one out called Bibble thatís getting a lot of praise.

Iím also looking at Helicon Soft that looks promising. http://www.heliconsoft.com/index.html

Corel Paint Shop Pro is another one that a lot of proís use who refuse to dump $600 on Photoshop.

Itís all quite dauntingÖ..

Bray,

I went with the Olympus Evolt 510 with two kit lenses; 14-42 and 50-150. One of the reasons I donít want to spend six bills on software for it is I want the 7-14 super wide angle lens, and it costs $1500.. so Iím saving my pennies for it.

Thanks MaryÖ. I had not seen that one yet. Iíll check it out.

#172532 - 07/14/07 11:18 AM Re: Whatís your favorite photo editing software? [Re: michael_d]
James_T Offline
aficionado

Loc: Seattle WA
I use Lightroom from Adobe. It's pretty easy to use and you can download a 30 day trial to see how you like it. If you are on a mac you could check out Aperture (again, 30 day free trial). Also a good program. I chose lightroom because it works on both PC and MAC. So far it's been great for organizing my photos and correcting er, enhancing.... my photos.

#172533 - 07/14/07 11:34 AM Re: Whatís your favorite photo editing software? [Re: James_T]
Haoleb Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Maine
I like paint shop pro. It used to be made by Jasc but I think adobe bought them up or something.

It was about 100 bucks the last time i looked.

#172534 - 07/14/07 12:39 PM Re: Whatís your favorite photo editing software? [Re: Haoleb]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

The new version, Paint shop pro XI is $70 at Corel.com

#172535 - 07/14/07 02:02 PM Re: Whatís your favorite photo editing software? [Re: michael_d]
Ajax Offline
axiomite

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Quote:

Thanks Alex. Elements was already on my list to look at.

Think nothing of it, Andrew. My pleasure.

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

#172536 - 07/14/07 02:55 PM Re: Whatís your favorite photo editing software? [Re: michael_d]
arkiedan Offline
regular

Elements 5 will do everything you'll need and, if you look around, it can be had for under $50. Add the latest Adobe RAW Converter and you've got about all you need. I've an older version of Photoshop but I never use it anymore.

As for combining images to get HDR (high dynamic range) Photomatix does a great job and is very intuitive.

There are many great noise reduction applications, some freeware and others shareware. Noise Ninja is among the best. Noiseware Community Edition is free and very good.

For panos try Autostitch, the easist and one of the best there is.

If you'd like to try some perspective correction download ShiftN, a nifty little freeware application. It easily corrects architectural lens distortions, etc.

As you can see, I like freeware whenever possible. If it's a great application I'll donate.

As for RAW, I'll bet you'll be shooting RAW exclusively very soon. You just have so much more flexibility over jpeg. Unless I'm shooting quick family photos I stay with RAW.

Hope this helps, arkiedan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.