Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New to Axiom - how do these axiom compare?
#17446 08/14/03 10:01 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
be easy on me - thisis my first post here.

i convinced my parents to ditch bose in favor for an entire klipsch speaker setup (sf-2 for mains, sb-1 for rears, sc-1 for center, and 2xksw-10 for subs) for our ht.

i have a klipsch promedia system on my pc - but am replacing it with 4 yamaha floorstanding speakers (ns8390 and ns-7390, for mains and rears respectively) powered by a yamaha rxv530 receiver and supported by an infinity entra2 12" subwoofer.

i love audio - plain and simple. and i have been hearing a lot of good things about axiom speakers and upon coming to this site - i have noticed that the speakers have received numerous praise and positive comments. i went to audioreview.com and found that the axiom loudspeakers are among the highest rated - comparably rated with klipsch reference speakers.

now, i cannot audition these guys because none of the local stores carry axiom - so i would like to know - HOW DO THESE SOUND?

are axiom speakers bright and forward like klipsch and paradigm? or are they mellow and laid-back like onix rockets speakers?

i am quite interested because i would like to plan my next speaker move (upgrade) once i get out of college... my yamaha speaks should last me for the meantime (they are nothing spectacular but without a doubt better than any pc speaker set in the market, and in my entire dormitory building).

i am very interested in the m80s (a pair for mains) and possibly a pair of m-22ti for rear/surround, and vp150 for center... subwoofer i think i will pass. nothing in the axiom arsenal can most probably match the SVS PB2+ subwoofer anyway - of course unless you vets tell me otherwise - then ill be forced to eat my words.

of course, the pb2+ (svsubwoofers.com) can play at dolby reference levels down to about 16-20hz - i doubt that the 350 sub (even two of them) can match that.

now the whole setup would cost me approximately 3000 (1100+400+350+1250)... that isnt too bad considering a top-of-the-line klipsch setup would cost me about 4500.

JOEY's PC Sound System: Polk LSi7 (x4, mains and rears) and SVS 25-31PC+ (sub)
Re: New to Axiom - how do these axiom compare?
#17447 08/14/03 10:10 PM
T
local
local
T
just a quick and simple post...the speakers sound great. they are a bit "bright" whatever that means to anyone i guess.

One thing I would suggest is to go with QS8's for your surrounds. I have to say for replicating the movie experience of being immersed in sound, these are hard to beat. This is not saying that the m22's are bad by any means, but if you are really looking for *surround* speakers, get the QS8's, you wont be sorry.

#17448 08/14/03 10:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
As far as the "axiom sound"...details, details, details. You'll hear things you've never heard before in recordings that you THOUGHT you knew very well! Crystal clean clarity in the midrange. Voices sound like they're in the room with you. Bass...tight. Not huge, not boomy, but tight and fast.

If you like these qualities, then Axiom is THE speaker for you. If you prefer laid back, smoother, mellower sounding speakers, you'll HATE Axioms (at least their M2, M22, M60 and M80's). It's really all up to your taste in sound.

When you listen in multi-channel is it going to be mainly for movies - with 2channel listening for music? Or do you generally listen to your music in multi-channel as well?

If you are a 2 channel music listener, as most people are, you really should get the QS8's for surrounds. They're designed for the dispersion used in movie surround channels.

If you do happen to listen to most of your music in multi-channel - using DSP modes, etc...then yes, the M22ti's being used in the surround postion would be a good pick.

Lastly...unless you're going to be in a REALLY big room, the M80's are overkill. Even Ian (Axiom founder) has said that the M60's and M80's sound virtually the same. The M80's can just go deeper and louder. If you're really going to be getting that moster SVS sub, you certainly have the deeper end covered. And unless you're in a cavernous room - the M60 will more than meet your loudness needs.

Lastly I need to plug Hsu Subwoofers. They ROCK. Be sure to research them as well before you make the SVS jump. Though I'm sure you'd be happy with either one.

Good luck, and start that "Upgrade" fund now!

#17449 08/14/03 11:19 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
2 Questions:

i. I've read that the M22ti speakers are very musical...now, as far as being main HT speakers, are they outstanding speakers for watching DVDs? Axioms better for listening to music, watching DVDs or both??

ii. If one were to get the VTF-2, would their 25ft Interconnect cable be commendable or would it be better to run the same wire, ie. 12g OFC Sound King wires to uniform with the mains, center, and surrounds?

#17450 08/14/03 11:48 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
60, if a speaker is good for music, it's also good for movies(and music in movies); sound is sound, whether it's Yo-Yo on the cello or Arnold on the machinegun.

You'd connect the sub with a coaxial cable, such as the 25 footer from Dr. Hsu, from the sub output on your receiver to the line level input on the sub. There's no good reason to use the speaker wire connection to the high level inputs if you can use the other connection with your equipment.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#17451 08/14/03 11:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's some very good advice Spiff. I'm betting that SVS sub is probably better for HT than the Hsu. Just a guess, since I have heard neither.

#17452 08/15/03 12:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
hehehe...I said "Lastly twice".

bigwill...
Don't underestimate the power of Hsu. The VTF-3 can THUNDER when asked to.

#17453 08/15/03 02:18 AM
aficionado
aficionado
i replaced klipsch epic 3series and a klipsch thx center channel with the m80s and a vp 150,the axioms sound good with all types of music and movies,suprising bass for 6.5" woofers,and i think its the dual tweeters that really help them crank the way they do,klipsch,to me, sound great with quality recordings ,like blue note,grp stuff like that,but if i pop on a korn disc or ozzy-they can be very hard to listen to at med to high volumes,the axioms handle them all great, i was tossed between b&w and legacy-audio speakers before looking on the web for speakers and im glad i did,the axioms m80s,IMO,can compete with speakers 2 to 3 times the price,if you listen to a wide range of music give them a try,you can get two pairs of m80s for the price of one pair of rf7s,and for your question about the bright and forwardness,yes they are ,but the klipsch can be brutal at times...good luck with your decision...ron

#17454 08/15/03 02:45 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In my opinion, The Things about the M80's that most stands out about them are...

Detail
Soundstage/imaging
Bass detail.. not the most SPL's but certainly not lacking. deep tight crisp clear bass.
Clarity and detail at higher volumes. They dont loose their form at higher volumes.
Smooth detailed sound.
Balanced sound
forward and good "attack" not bright
did i mention detail?

#17455 08/15/03 04:15 PM
veteran
veteran
It is possible to audition Axiom speakers depending on your location. Axiom owners are proud of what they have and most of us are willing to let you listen to our set up. You can E-mail Axiom and they will try to find an owner in your area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup