Print Thread
Rate Thread
Nightmare Scenario? Hopefully Not...Advice Please
#17852 08/20/03 01:07 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Folks:

Well, after a fair amount of time this weekend I set up my HT stuff (M60s, VP150, QS8s) and got it working. Tonight, however, while my 9-year old son was playing with the Xbox through the system he got confused re: the volume (he was used to seeing the volume bar on the TV, not on the receiver dial). He was trying to change the volume while the Xbox was on "pause", and he ended up turning the volume up pretty much all the way, since he didn't hear anything and was looking for the volume bar. My fault, as I should have "checked him out" on the system, but bottom line, just as I yelled "DON'T GO BACK TO THE GAME!!!" he went back to the game, with VERY loud volume. It took me about 3-4 seconds to get to the receiver and turn it off.

I've been listening to music since then with an ear for any damage and couldn't hear anything--sounds normal to me. I'll try listening to each speaker tweeter, etc. separately, but is there any other way for me to tell if the speakers have been damaged? My gut says they're okay, as I've got a pretty good ear for detail and I think I'd notice it if there was a problem, but I'd appreciate your suggestions as well. Hopefully the only thing rattled here is me...

Thanks all!

Re: Nightmare Scenario? Hopefully Not...Advice Please
#17853 08/20/03 01:26 AM
shareholder in the making
Larry, I think that your son has just inadvertantly proved to you that your 5660 can drive the M60s to an extremely high volume and that the M60s can take it without damage.

Last edited by JohnK; 08/20/03 01:30 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#17854 08/20/03 02:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i had something like that happen to me once, i was cleaning my stuff like i always do and i guess i put the volume on max on my old reciever when i still had my old JBL's and i turned the radio on a while later and at first it takes the reciever a sec to do its thing and i was walking away and it came on WHOALY s*** scared me half to death it was soo loud. i ran back over and turned it down. it didnt damage anything but... was an experience.

#17855 08/20/03 02:20 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Thanks for the replies...now my only question relates to the woofers/bass. My imagination is probably getting the best of me, but part of me feels like there isn't as much bass as there was before. If there definitely IS bass, and I don't hear anything cracking or buzzing, is there likely no damage? In other words, would it be possible to damage a bass component such that it still functioned, but just not as fully as before? Seems to me it would either vibrate or not, and if functioning but damaged would sound bad. There's no way to lose "x % of bass" is there? I know it's a stupid question but I guess I'm still rattled. Listening to LOTR and some of the bassy parts don't seem QUITE as bassy as they were before (pretty much same receiver settings). Just curious. If I screwed up a woofer, how would I know?

Thanks.

#17856 08/20/03 02:30 AM
Larry, you were talking about the tweeters at first, and if anything happened it would be the tweeter voice coils that got fried if the amps clipped. Woofers are much sturdier and it's extremely unlikely that they were damaged and the tweeters weren't.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#17857 08/20/03 03:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You must remember, John, that PlainHaven hasn't had his system set up for very long and it is likely that the M60s weren't properly broken in before this calamitous event occurred.
Just kidding. Crack open a Little Kings and forget about it.

#17858 08/20/03 03:38 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
BigWill, you got a mean streak a mile wide, baby! But consider the Little Kings cracked open!!!

OT, somebody just sent me one of the Terry Tate, Office Linebacker ads...hadn't seen any of them before; just watched them all at Reebok.com...laughed my butt off...

Larry

#17859 08/20/03 03:46 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Little Kings?!?! Oh for chrissake.... Either take it to the beer thread, of crack open something a bit more satisfying.

Really, to quote Charlie Papazian, Relax, Don't Worry, have a Homebrew. Or maybe a nice Duvel?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#17860 08/20/03 05:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was trying to think of a beer from Ohio, but now I'm not even sure Little Kings hail from there - I haven't seen one out here since high school. How about Augsburger? Schoenling?

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044