Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
V150 arrived today......
#178827 10/13/07 01:37 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I’m just a regular kind of guy, not an audiophile. So my review is what it is….

Packing
I had such a crappy day I forgot all about the V150 arriving today. So it was a pleasant surprise. The box, however, had seen better days. Most notable were three quarter size holes in the middle. Expecting the worse, I opened the box to see that the speaker is actually floating inside the box, anchored on both ends by Styrofoam. The box itself is extremely thick as well. After carefully examining the speaker, there was not a single scratch on it.

Appearance
Simply stunning in person. I opted for the Boston Cherry with the Black grill. The finish was flawless and beautiful. It looked very deep and reminded me of a very expensive piece of furniture. Even my wife loved the look.

Construction
It feels solid and is relatively heavy for it’s size. There were no: joint issues, glue marks or anything out of alignment. The grill was perfectly centered, and seemed well constructed. The back is well finished, and the speaker terminals are top drawer.

Sound
I was replacing a Cerwin Vega VS5 (two 5 ¼” speakers) to run on my Sony ST810 100 x 5.1 system. As far as setup, I didn’t do anything but hook it up. My Sony has very primitive setup features. I elected to play on of my favorite movies “Pirates of the Caribbean 1.” All I have to say is wow. My wife and I were so blown away by the difference we ended up watching the entire movie.

The voices and highs were crisp, clean and clear. I heard stuff I had never heard before. It was like watching a different movie. The best analogy I can come up with is that the sound was deeper, richer and taller.

Nothing was harsh, or too bright. Nor was anything muddy. It was just right. Additionally, the sensation was that I had one large speaker in front rather than 2 fronts and the V150.

The difference was so dramatic that it was if I bought a new receiver.

Not a very scientific or learned opinion, but ……………..

The only thing I know is that I’m glad I ordered the V150. It surpassed my expectations for: quality, construction and sound.

Re: V150 arrived today......
noob_from_Georgi #178828 10/13/07 01:58 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Glad you liked it and are enjoying. Just wait till you get the M60s!\:D

If you really want a crisper even clearer/forward(VP150 is forward sounding but not as much as the M80 for perspective) sound you could go for the M80s now that you have a reference point of what Axioms sound like.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
noob_from_Georgi #178840 10/13/07 03:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Great review of a speaker I have always been very happy with. Enjoy!

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #178888 10/13/07 08:33 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks all... and thanks to everyone who contributed to my decisions.

I am 90% sure that the M60's are in my future, just because (as JakeWash accurately and wisely pointed out) I could delay the purchase of an AV for an extended period of time by passing on the M80's.

If the M60's make 1/10th the difference the V150 made, I'm going to be a very very very happy and satisfied camper. \:o ACtually, I'm pretty happy with the setup as it is, so I am thinking that the M60's + the QS8's + a nice sub, would be too much for me to imagine....

But as always, I continue to appreciate any comments or feedback!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044