Rate Thread
Yamaha RX-V1400 vs Pioneer Elite 45tx vs SonyDA4ES
#19227 09/08/03 12:29 AM
F
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
F
After reviewing numerous post on this and other forum sites, some very helpful input from forum members and hours of research, I have narrowed the decision of a receiver down to the above mentioned ones with possibly the option of adding the Pioneer Elite 53tx to the equation. I have already ordered the Axiom 3ti to begin with and will be adding other speakers to create an HT system..the room is rather small about 15' X 15'. The Sony has a 5 yr warranty, where the rest have only a 2 yr. sounds important. The 45tx has a .09% THD where the others have .04% and .05%. Don't know how important that is? Have virtually ruled out the H/K 525 and Denon 2803 as I want more "creature comforts" i.e. better remotes and they do not seem to have the most "bang for the $$". I, like almost everyone else who going through the buying decision wants all they can get for their hard earned $$, but don't want to over extend for their type of listenting. Thanks in advance for all suggestions and comments. Hope you're somewhere around Sushi.

Re: Yamaha RX-V1400 vs Pioneer Elite 45tx vs SonyDA4ES
#19228 09/09/03 01:22 AM
old hand
old hand
Where did you find the Yamaha RX -V1400? What was the cost?

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!!
#19229 09/09/03 11:54 AM
devotee
devotee
I found it at hificiti.com for $639. (u.s.)

#19230 09/09/03 11:28 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Fish - I had posted the info below on another forum with a similar question so I thought I'd cut and paste...

Doug
--------------------------------------------------------
I can't speak for the Yamaha, but I do own a Sony 4ES and am very happy with it. Since this AVR originally retailed for $1000 or so, this is a good price.

For more info on owner's experiences with the 4ES/7ES line, check out http://www.agoraquest.com/forum.php and search for 4ES. Granted, this is where the Sony fans hang out, but most agree that short of a debate on the power ratings Sony uses, this is a very capable piece of kit. I have had no issues driving my speakers to ear-bleeding levels with no evidence of clipping in either 2 or 6 channel use. It also has an incredible array of inputs (all the digitals are assignable), DSP features (I'm a Sony DSP fan), 2nd room capability, as you mention, the analog direct mode, 5.1 and 7.1 direct inputs, etc.

One of the things I appreciate about the 4ES is how "tweak-able" it is. It has an impressive equalizer function both for each input as well as the overall surround settings, with treble, mid, and bass gain and mid-frequency set point for each of the three ranges. It has all the usual speaker gain modes at .5db steps for balance, and allows for a wide range of bass management settings for all speakers from 40Hz to 200Hz.

Comes with a 5 year warranty as well.

The 4ES does have a 8/4 Ohm switch and is rated to drive 4 Ohm speakers. My Axioms are a mix of 8 and 6 Ohm speakers and I run them at the 8 Ohm setting with no problems. The case rarely gets more than very warm to the touch even at high volume levels - some folks have reported singed fingers with other speakers.

#19231 09/10/03 11:59 AM
F
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
F
I bought it at a local Tweeters..its the only local store that carries better AV products..am in Galveston, Texas..on the beach and rather remote...I paid $700., but at least I got to audition it before buying probably wasn't inclined to wait for mail order for a few dollars savings...have set it up(requires a PHd in electronics), just joking, the setup was painless with the new YPAQ I believe it is called...I seem to have read somewhere that some of the better speakers are 4 ohm speakers???...there is a setting on the Yamaha for either 8 or 6 ohm..is this a potential problem for some high end users??...shouldn't affect me though..I'm starting with the M3ti's and just ordered the full metal mounting bracket and going to the local Home Depot or Lowe's for the moulding to hide the wires...FishIsland

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044