tomtuttle #192982 01/19/08 12:05 AM
N
Nick B Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
N
tomtuttle,

I would have just went with the new JVC LCoS but they made the depth very shallow to compete with flat panel displays and as a result geometry is off. The previous JVC LCoS was supposed to be very good in comparison to the Previous Sony sxrd, but I don't know how it would compete with the new Sony. Since there aren't many stores that carry JVC it is hard to do a comparison. So the JVC is out. I would love to have a JVC since they are supposed to have one of the best processors though.

- Nick

Re: sxrd vs plasma
Nick B #192984 01/19/08 12:13 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I have had the Panasonic 50pz77 for almost a month now and notice no issues with burn in. I think for the price that it's a great bargain compared to the Pioneer plasmas. The Pioneers may be slightly better but i didn't think the difference in price was worth it.

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
Lorenzo1000 #193030 01/19/08 05:15 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I wasn't aware that JVC had a new, ultra-thin product line. Thanks for the update. It seems like you should still be able to find previous generation models somewhere. Hmmph.

I was pretty impressed with the Panasonic plasmas when I was shopping, but I got a bigger screen for less money this way. Like others have commented, I don't believe the premium for the Pioneer is worth it.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Nick B #193066 01/19/08 02:44 PM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: nickboros
ctown,
Not being able to display a 4:3 program its correct aspect ratio is a deal breaker for me. I cannot stand to watch anything that is not in its correct aspect ratio.

Yeah, it'd be a deal breaker for me, too...I don't understand how people ruin the picture like this so lightly. It seems to 99% of the people in the world that watching oompa-loompa shaped people is no big deal.

I have a fair collection of 4:3 shows on DVD; if I decide to work my way through a 22 episodes of a full season, I want to know if that's going to be an issue when looking for a new TV.

Nick B #193083 01/19/08 04:09 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
 Originally Posted By: nickboros
ctown,

Not being able to display a 4:3 program its correct aspect ratio is a deal breaker for me. I cannot stand to watch anything that is not in its correct aspect ratio. You really think that the 4:3 aspect ratio might be a problem with burn in?

- Nick

As mentioned above you might get image retention from the black bars on either side of a 4:3 picture. The new sets have a variety of stretched modes so that the display no longer looks like everybody is short and fat if you stretch the pic. If you still dont like that, I would then probably stick with something other than plasma.

ctown #193087 01/19/08 04:15 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
Yes JVC has a newer HDILA with a shallower depth cabinet as everybody wants a set that isnt as deep.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484466-REG/JVC_HD65S998_HD_65S998_65_HDILA_TV.html

I havent seen it, but that being said, you can probably still pick up the FH97 or FN97 which is last years model on display somewhere if you like the deeper cabinet.

I think the fact that Sony is dropping SXRD because of costs of class action lawsuits due to light engine failure might be a reason to steer clear of buying one new. Not to mention the purple haze or blob issue you hear of with those sets. In the end, its up to you.

I used to own a corvair and loved it despite it not being safe at any speed.

ctown #193097 01/19/08 05:25 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Nick,

The thread Tom provided has some good info. Let me just drop some points here I have picked up over time and by doing some research when I was shopping for my plasma.

Sony has decided to discontinue the SXRD/LCOS technology. Great PQ, but controlling consistency with their colors has been problematic. Don't know much about the JVC.

LCD/LCOS is better for a room with lotsa sunlight (plasma screens are more reflective).

Plasma burn-in is pretty much a non-issue. They manufacture in technology that causes the individual pixels to "wobble" to avoid the burn-in. You won't see the wobble with your naked eye. In fact, to get burn-in, you will need to work to get it.

Pioneer and Panasonic are the best plasma TVs (electronics, glass, reliability). In fact, they OEM plasma glass for most other sellers. Those other folks then use their own electronics.

Search the internet on "720P vs 1080P". What you will find is this - 1080P is nice, but only comes into play if you will be sitting really close to the screen. Otherwise, a TV that does 720P/1080i is good enough. This comment will likely cause a sweaty discussion, but see if you can find a 720P and 1080P TV sitting side by side showing the HD stuff. Stand back 8-10 feet and see if you can tell the difference. Then look at the price difference and determine if it is justified for you. The above is pretty much general consensus and the battle rages. Not quite as severe as the debates about speaker wire, but spirited nonetheless.

Panasonic vs Pioneer. From what I have been reading, the new Pio Kuro ("kuro" means "black" in Japanese). achieves better black levels than Panasonic. I honestly don't know since I haven't gone to look. Hopefully it's not one of those things that a dog can appreciate with their senses, but a human can't appreciate. Take your eyes for a test ride with these two brands if you are doing plasma.

Hope it helps.

Ray

Ray3 #193108 01/19/08 08:36 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
 Originally Posted By: Ray3

Sony has decided to discontinue the SXRD/LCOS technology. Great PQ, but controlling consistency with their colors has been problematic. Don't know much about the JVC.

Ray, JVC actually pioneered LCOS and has been implementing it successfully for years. Sony introduced SXRD and did a great marketing job with a non perfected product IMO.

[/quote]
LCD/LCOS is better for a room with lotsa sunlight (plasma screens are more reflective).[/quote]

LCOS gives a great film like pic in dark rooms as well. Plasma sets now have anti reflective coatings also that limit light reflection.

[/quote]
Plasma burn-in is pretty much a non-issue. They manufacture in technology that causes the individual pixels to "wobble" to avoid the burn-in. Ray [/quote]

That wobbling is interesting, I never knew that. But if there are dark bars on both sides of a 4:3 image....what good is wobbling them to another dark pixel next to it. Seems to me the phosphor wear would be the same because its the same colour pixel. I could be wrong on that, but it just seems logical.

ctown #193118 01/19/08 11:02 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
The wobble thing is usually a setting to turn on. It's not a perfect solution, but the line where the bars live won't be the issue that the large dark space might be.

I haven't spent much time being concerned enough to chase down the details because I don't watch much 4:3. If I am forced to do that over a couple of hours in a row, I'll usually change the channel during a commercial to a full screen and eliminate the possibility.

Nick B #193142 01/20/08 03:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
nick: I would strongly suggest that you go and spend some time watching some of the various HDTVs side by side. I don't think that the trades are 720 vs 1080 or plasma vs sxrd.

I think that you would be better served looking at the contrast ratio, how the color edges merge into one another, and how you like the over picture quality.

I don't think that plasma burn in is as much of a problem today, as it was a few years ago.

I have 2 Sony SXRDs. One is a 60" and the other is about 32." I am very pleased with both.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters