Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Harmony One
michael_d #195004 02/05/08 01:29 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
Thanks for offer Ray. I'll take you up on it most likely. I'm hoping it isn't a whole lot different than my 850.

I'd be happy to help! The 900 doesn't have the ability to use variables, so I'm not sure what they are all about, but the ability to use Universal Browser for pretty much ANY file you can find and extract a single command is incredible. The ability to have 2 macros on the same button was kind of slick as well.

real80sman #195089 02/05/08 06:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Shawn's quote about often reverting to the original remotes is why I recommend a good URC to a more technically inclined person. It took a while with some trial and error to get it designed correctly, but I now have my URC 300 set up in such a way that there is not a feature on any of my gear that I can't access from the URC.

At first I went with just daily functionality and kept the others nearby, but over time, I added more and more features and found ways to organize the many touch screens (one screen but hundreds of pages available to add buttons)so that now I have everything I need on the one remote in a logical manner. (The trick is designing the logical manner). Daily functions are on the hard buttons and the less used functions are organized into touch screens.

Also you can have a combination of any remote's buttons on any group of screens so I don't have to flip devices to access something common. Made my own "Activity" buttons with macros so even my Dad can watch TV, movies, music, whatever when he comes to babysit the dog.

Most recently I added macros to change user modes on my receiver so when I choose my [Movie] or [Music] activity buttons, it applies a couple of tweaks like +2db center & surrounds with +3db sub for movies and then back to perfectly even for music.

Perhaps all this is now possible on the newer Harmonies? I'm stuck comparing to the older ones I set up for relatives.

Note for the purists, I'm trying really hard to learn to like my surrounds calibrated even with the others but with my room and/or placement, even my wife comments that the surround effects are weak in movies unless they are up a notch. +2 seems to be a nice blend where the sound is heard and is enveloping but not distractingly directional.

Last edited by Murph; 02/05/08 06:03 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #195116 02/05/08 10:03 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
 Originally Posted By: Murph

Note for the purists, I'm trying really hard to learn to like my surrounds calibrated even with the others but with my room and/or placement, even my wife comments that the surround effects are weak in movies unless they are up a notch. +2 seems to be a nice blend where the sound is heard and is enveloping but not distractingly directional.

Nothing wrong with liking to hear the surrounds a little louder, I sometimes bump mine up just to try to bring myself more into the movie.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Ray3 #195181 02/06/08 12:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Ray3

I'd be happy to help!

I remember how much you love those remotes Ray. Perhaps if you are starting to get bored in your retirement (at least in the winter months when you can't golf much) you can have their support number dial to your home and they can pay you to provide tech support for people with these babies!

Zarak #195188 02/06/08 02:13 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Hello all,
I am in the process of using a Dell axim X50 as my remote
I am using the trial software and so far it seems to be working fine. I am just using the learn functions for now.
Here is a link to the site.
http://www.wincesoft.de/html/body_remotecontrol_ii.html

David

Zarak #195220 02/06/08 05:33 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
 Originally Posted By: Zarak
 Originally Posted By: Ray3

I'd be happy to help!

I remember how much you love those remotes Ray. Perhaps if you are starting to get bored in your retirement (at least in the winter months when you can't golf much) you can have their support number dial to your home and they can pay you to provide tech support for people with these babies!

That's a great idea!!

HomeDad #195266 02/06/08 10:14 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well HomeDad...ya talked me into it. Yesterday I walked into Best Buy and picked up a Harmony One. It took at least an hour of programming to get it almost right... just a few tweaks left. It can also power up the SMS-1 at the correct times and I can adjust the sub volume with it, which was a concern of mine.

The keypad layout is very intuitive and it does fit nicely into your hand. You can also program it with your favorite channels in the touch screen area, something I haven't tried yet.

I haven't had it long enough to comment on battery life.. maybe Homedad, you can fill us in on how yours is doing.

The only real issue I have probably can't be resolved (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I have a Tivo Series 3, and the reaction time from key press to action on screen is around 1/4 sec slower. It may not sound like a big deal, but if I pick up the original remote and compare, it's VERY obvious. It becomes apparent if you're quickly moving around menu selections. It certainly something that is easy to get used to however. I just have to slow myself down just a bit..

I played around with a $15 universal a couple of months ago that didn't have the issue. It was as quick as the original. There are options on the computer software to adjust inter-key delay, etc. but nothing similar to decreasing execution time.

Other than that..a very nice remote!! At least I have 29 days left to play with it and decide on whether it gets to stay. \:\)

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
Spoiler #195271 02/06/08 10:24 PM
I know what you mean about the reaction time on the TiVo. If you figure out a way around that, I'll be very, very happy. I know you can adjust timings in the Harmony software, but I don't remember if I've tried that or not.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #195277 02/06/08 10:34 PM
 Quote:
I know what you mean about the reaction time on the TiVo.
If you think the reaction time is slow with a standard TiVo, just be glad yours isn't using 15,000rpm drives. It takes a lot longer to even just pause the video due to the time it takes to stop the platters.

Spoiler #195307 02/07/08 01:15 AM
HomeDad Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Quote:
I haven't had it long enough to comment on battery life.. maybe Homedad, you can fill us in on how yours is doing.

From what I understand these rechargeable batteries last a long time. I never had a problem with my 880 recharging and after a few years it's still charging fine, it was more a problem getting that remote to sit in the cradle right. The Harmony One fits snug and immediately charges once it's back in the cradle.
I'm not having any delay problems with my PVR, but as mentioned the response times can be adjusted.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters