Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Axiom M60's vs Aperion 5T.
jakewash #212143 06/19/08 04:00 AM
shareholder in the making
Nice to hear from someone who had compared the two. Perhaps my impression of the Aperions was unfair.

The bottom line is to compare (or at least listen to) both speakers if at all possible.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
jakewash #212149 06/19/08 04:16 AM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
True, I did not do a "true" blind test per any lab or speaker manufacturers specifications. I'm just an average joe who decided to try to compare a couple of different brands of speakers in my own home and on my lowly equipment without an eq.

I had moved the speakers around the first week I had them, but I did not move them when I had my wife listen to them, I'm not sure she would have been patient enough for that. We basically played a song, got a db rating with the meter, after a few minutes stopped the song, switched to a different speaker, restarted the song and adjusted with the spl meter to match the previous level. I'm not sure what else there would be to calibrate, no sub was used, just the towers.

My surrounds will be here Friday, once I get them up I'll see what I can do about pictures. I also gotten an AV123 MWF-15 recently. A little bit of everything from a bunch of different ID brands. Now, I just need an Outlaw amp...

armaraas #212182 06/19/08 04:36 PM
J
J
Your thoughts of the MFW-15? Have you heard any other subs to compare it to?

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #212200 06/19/08 05:26 PM
S
buff
buff
S
My initial experience with the Axiom forum was to ask a similar question...Axiom or Aperion. At the time, I was considering the M80's and 6T's. The overwhelming consensus was to perform the in home audition on both, but in the end my laziness won out and I went with M80's as they appeared to be more speaker for the money, real wood was not an issue for me, and the flatter frequency response. Another major consideration was the concern that my wife would make me send back both sets and then I'd really be SOL. Anyway, I have to tell you I haven't regretted my Axiom purchase in the least.

skubic #212217 06/19/08 08:14 PM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
I would be surprised if anyone did order Axiom's and was disappointed with them. Heck, if I had just ordered the M80's alone, I would have no qualms with keeping them and would be quite happy with them. Neither the M80's or 6T's had any weaknesses I could really fault them for, they just play to slightly different strengths which is up to the listener to decide what they prefer.

As for the MWF-15, unfortunately I do not have a very good comparison for it, this is my first foray into subs of this price/performance. My old sub is a dual 8" Yamaha which did well enough to bring neighbors over to ask me to turn it down with music (single family homes with 20' in between), but didn't really have much of a 'wow' effect with movies.

Out of the box the MWF had a hum when I connected it up (the old sub was not grounded). MLS was kind enough to help me troubleshoot it, and we determined it wasn't the cable connection, and when I told him I could hear devices being turned off and on through the sub we guessed it was poor electrical wiring in the house. He was going to send me an audio filter for it, but a few days later I realized the hum was actually caused by an svideo connection from receiver to the tv for the OSD menu. So now I just leave that disconnected when not needed. However I still hear things being turned off and on in the room through the sub, not a big deal as I can control the order of how things are turned on. The biggest thing is I hear a 'pop' from the sub whenever the mini fridge's condenser kicks off in the room. I probably have a bit too much in this room...

As far as performance, I've been really happy with how well it blends in with the towers for music. My old sub could get kind of muddy, this one seems much cleaner. I haven't done a lot with movies yet, waiting for this weekend when I get the surrounds...
But I did watch Darla tapping on the glass in Finding Nemo, over, and over, and over...

That was a new experience for me. The MWF did have a little extra noise during that scene, but the older sub just sounded weak and plain horrible in comparison. From what I've gotten from other people is that that scene is pretty tough even on good subs. I also watched most of War of the Worlds, and that was pretty cool too. My couch is a foot and a half off the back wall, the sub is next to the couch firing into that space, so it's kind of fun to 'feel' it. I've only got about 2 spots, maybe 3 if I rearrange the room, the sub can go, and that's my preferred spot so it's there for now. I haven't gotten around to figuring out frequency responses yet and measuring them. I plan to watch a few of the LotR movies this weekend. Again, I don't normally listen at insane levels, around 100db is good enough for me (I've seen some people pushing these to 110 or higher).

I have noticed that when I turn it up loud enough, my ear facing the direction of the sub needs to be popped once in a while. I was wondering if that means I need to get a second one for the other side of the room to even it out...

Sorry for rambling...and threadjacking...

jakewash #212272 06/20/08 12:15 AM
mecon Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the help I'm waiting till October to begin the auditions.

White Sox.
armaraas #212273 06/20/08 12:18 AM
mecon Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
armaraas, are you in Chicagoland.

White Sox.
armaraas #212281 06/20/08 12:59 AM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: armaraas
I plan to watch a few of the LotR movies this weekend. Again, I don't normally listen at insane levels, around 100db is good enough for me (I've seen some people pushing these to 110 or higher).

I noticed with the PB13-Ultra I can now feel Sauron's finger hit the ground at every location in my room and that is with the volume at normal levels about 75-80db.

Quote:
I have noticed that when I turn it up loud enough, my ear facing the direction of the sub needs to be popped once in a while. I was wondering if that means I need to get a second one for the other side of the room to even it out...

Most definitely

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #212298 06/20/08 02:15 AM
local
local
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Nice post armaraas, I would have tried moving the Axioms to the inside and the Aperions to the outside just to see if it was a placement issue

Better yet, instead of setting them up concentrically, set each pair up the same distance part, ie., on each side, speaker A on the left, B in the middle, and C on the right. Then you'd just have to rotate yerself slightly to compare, and they'd all have the same separation without wrangling between trials.

mecon #212299 06/20/08 02:16 AM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
 Originally Posted By: mecon
armaraas, are you in Chicagoland.

Sorry, no, I live in western Wisconsin, just outside the Minneapolis/St Paul area of Minnesota.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters