#212426 06/20/08 11:57 PM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
Hi Guys,

First I apologize for asking for help on a non Axiom product, but since I do personaly own Axiom, I was hoping this would be ok.

A good friend has a pair of Dahlquist QX9 and one of his tweeter is no longer working, don't know what happened, one minute we are listening to music at a low to moderate volume and then I noticed that something was not quite right. Placed my ears up on the right tweeter and it's dead as a door nail.

So, I have been desperatly trying to get a replacement driver. The only Dahlquist web site up is years old, the company's phone number is out of service and by all accounts, they are as dead as my tweeter. I took a chance and sent an email to the general info address anyways, after weeks of nothing I finaly get a response from a Goerge Baker @ AOL.com saying " send me $45 bucks to 30 riviera drive, markham Ontario and I will send you a new tweeter" Ya, like I was born yesterday.. I work in IT Security, so my first instinct is to verify the validity of this guy. I send him a response asking for the corporate phone number and web site etc.. I get his cell phone number. So I called him, no answer of course, left 2 voice messages. Finally he called back, was very distracted and I barely could understand what he was saying as he had a very strong accent. I was asking specific information and he was all over the map. After a short time, the connection was termininated abruptly. I called back immediatly, got the voice mail again, left a message and never heard back since. I also sent another email to him, no reply. That was a month ago. Finaly I checked with the Better Business Bureau and that Markham address comes up as 1484010.INC with a web site of nuanceaudio.com So, I go there and here's my " friend " George Baker as CIO of Nuance Audio. The web site has no phone number, no product listing, just "testimonials" on how great their products are. There is also the email address of another guy, Mario Thibeault, so since that sounds like a french name and I am french, I decide to send him an email asking him the same kind of questions. As soon as I hit the SEND button, it bounced right back at me.. " no such user name"

The whole thing smells like a scam, AOL addresses, cell phone numbers, no corporate web presence, no valid company phone number and bouncing emails.

Does anyone here know if :

1. Dahlquist still exists in Ontario
2. Know of this Nuance Audio company ?
3. Ever heard of these individuals ?
4. Is there a provincial or federal government department that I can call and verify this company / guys etc..

I'm just trying to replace the Tweeter with original part. Short of actualy driving down to Markham and banging on the front door myself, I don't know what to do really.

Anyone with any ideas or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Riker

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400
Re: Hard time finding tweeter replacement
Riker #212429 06/21/08 12:56 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
All I can say is good luck, I think you are going to need it. Have you tried looking/asking on AVSForum?

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #212431 06/21/08 01:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Have you made sure it's the tweeter that's bad?

I had a fuse go out in my amp, which I thought was the tweeter at first. Do you have another amp to hook the speaker up to?

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #212432 06/21/08 01:05 AM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
The speakers are powered by a new Marantz SR8500 receiver which has about 30 hours of play time on it. Not sure if the fuses are even user replaceable on that unit ? I was listening to it personaly and just like that, I noticed a change in the sound, so I went up to the speakers and that's when I noticed the tweeter on the righ speaker was no longer emitting any sound at all.

From what I can gather, Nuance is also no longer in business..

It's starting to look like I am really screwed !!! I'm sure there is a very interesting and long story behind the history of both companies etc.. and I hope one day I'll find out what that is.. in the meantime, I just want a new tweeter..

Maybe I should just blindly send $45 bucks to Markham Ontario, with the expectations of never seing it back, but maybe it's worth taking a chance that If I'm lucky, I'll get a new tweeter in the mail eventually ?

Riker

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400
Riker #212434 06/21/08 01:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Riker, I don't know what to tell you. Based on your experience trying to reach George Baker, I wouldn't feel comfortable sending money his way.

Maybe send out some inquiries on other audio forums to see if anyone has any dealings with Nuance Audio? I went to the sent, but there's not much there.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Riker #212435 06/21/08 01:17 AM
J
J
I'd keep the money and buy a new set of tweeters for both speakers that might fit from PartsExpress or similar.

Nuance used to be a speaker only sold through an electronics retailer that went out of business many years ago. I always thought Nuance died with them. Just remembered the name of the company ... International Stereo.

Visions sells a speaker by the name of Soundstage in a similar way

Last edited by jakewash; 06/21/08 01:24 AM. Reason: added info

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
St_PatGuy #212437 06/21/08 01:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
try regnar.com. I use a pair of dqm 905s in one of my 2 channel tube systems. I love them

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,160 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup