Print Thread
Rate Thread
DVD/Receiver/TV Setup question
#219016 08/25/08 06:51 PM
RPatn Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I haven't posted in a while, but I know that you guys are good, and can lead me in the right direction!
I have...
Denon 3805
Panasonic 50" Plasma
Sony upscaling DVD
Axiom M80s, EP500, VP150

From the DVD player, I'm running HDMI to the TV and digital optical to the Denon. At one time this was working great - beautiful and booming sound, and a terrific picture! Somewhere along the line, I guess I tweaked something and there is no sound.

I've tried adjusting the setup on the Denon, but can't seem to find the right tweak to get me back to movie happiness. I also switched out the digital optical to digital coax in case the optical cable had been tweaked -- no help.

Any suggestions?? I know the fix is likely something simple, but its eluded me...

Thanks -
- RP

Re: DVD/Receiver/TV Setup question
RPatn #219017 08/25/08 07:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It sounds like the problem is in your setup. Just make sure whatever optical input you are using on the Denon matches your DVD settings for setup. I also believe there is an auto setting on the Denon that will match the audio with the source.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #219018 08/25/08 07:21 PM
RPatn Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the quick reply HomeDad. I remember your help 2.5 years ago when I was first setting up.

I know what you mean by matching the input type (OPT1 or COAX1) to the appropriate input device (DVD, CD, etc). I have done that, and idiot checked the plug location to match.

Can you think of anything else??

Thanks

HomeDad #219019 08/25/08 07:24 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Not sure if your Denon is the same as mine, but I had to pair the audio input with the HDMI input (See photo of .pdf manual). On mine, I have HDMI1 set to DVD, and OPT1 set to DVD so they are paired together.

I do mind. The Dude minds. This will not stand. This aggression will not stand man.

M60|VP150|QS8
SlamKeys #219021 08/25/08 07:38 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Sounds like you already tried the obvious. What about that Sony? Does it have a setting that switches the audio from Optical Audio Out to HDMI Audio Out?

I've had terrible luck with Sony equipment and wouldn't be surprised if the Sony was malfunctioning. You could try another player (if you have one) to check the optical input on the Denon.

I do mind. The Dude minds. This will not stand. This aggression will not stand man.

M60|VP150|QS8
SlamKeys #219029 08/25/08 08:56 PM
RPatn Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the ideas SlamKeys.
My Denon model doesn't have HDMI, so that's why I running HDMI from the DVD to the TV, with sound through the receiver. I could run Component from DVD to the receiver, but I think the picture quality might be slightly better the way I have it. It was working, but I don't know what I've done or what happened to change it.

I don't think there is a switch/setup on the Sony DVD, but I'll check that.

Thanks again for the thoughts...

RPatn #219043 08/26/08 02:04 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
RP, although there've been several posts, it isn't entirely clear(to me, at least)what the extent of the problem is. You say "no sound", but do you mean no sound on anything? For example, do you get sound on FM? If not, it may be that a defect has developed in the 3805, rather than it being simply a matter of some setting that has to be corrected.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #219055 08/26/08 03:46 AM
RPatn Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hi John -
I have no sound coming through by way of the DVD player. CD & cable TV are fine. I'm not sure what other info would help, let me know if you have any questions...

Radio play is something else I need to get going, but I'll save that for another thread.

Thanks

RPatn #219071 08/26/08 12:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
How recent is your Denon purchase? Perhaps a local tech there could walk you through some of the less intuitive menu items and spot what's going on. They can be very tricky. There is great expertise in this board but it's tough to tackle setup issues sometimes because you have to go step by step and check so many menus.

I had a very good experience calling my HT shop for some initial setup help and they walked me through a nasty issue that would have taken me days to figure out via the manual as the box actually needed a hard reset to clear whatever it was mixed up about. I wasn't doing anything wrong, it just needed a whack in the head.

Of course, you may be in a cost situation for support now, depending on how helpful your shop is. Just a thought.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044