Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Subwoofers and the like
#22955 10/23/03 01:29 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Anyone ever hear of Stryke Subwoofers? Good Bad?
What about building a DIY kit from parts express? Such as 10" TITANIC VANCE SUBWOOFER KIT Any value. This would fit into my enclosures dimensions!
I probably will need to go with the box sub, and place it into the enclosure on the bottom of the entertainment center, wife decides she DOE NOT want the floor 'cluttered" with speakers. Now I need to find a sub that fits my dimensional needs. My old Infinity sub measured: 15 1/2 h x 13 w. I dont have a lot of height to play with. Width and depth are no problem. This is going to pose a problem. I can probably fit a 16"h sub there, but that will give me little to no room on top. Again width and depth are plentiful. Major problem here. If I cant fit, than I have to "sell" the exterior sub!!

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!!
Re: Subwoofers and the like
#22956 10/23/03 02:10 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Dave, both the Stryke and Titanic drivers have very good reputations. I'd suggest trying the selling job on the outside sub, among other reasons being the possibility of placing it in the corner, generally the best location. If you are stuck with the entertainment center location, bear in mind that a sub can be positioned horizontally, so height wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#22957 10/23/03 12:09 PM
veteran
veteran
If you can go 16 inches high, you should really look at a DIY sub if you can do the building. You could use the Stryke AV12 or the Adire Shiva (which I use). I built a sonotube using the Shive. Since you can go long, you could build a tube and make it long using 16 inch tube and sit it on it's side. Check out the DIY forum at www.hometheaterforum.com. They've go the best DIY info around.

Frank

#22958 10/24/03 03:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I've heard nothing but good things about those Shiva drivers.
The DIY option is a tempting one.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#22959 10/24/03 01:15 PM
veteran
veteran
To quote Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, "My dad has an awesome set of tools!".

I was able to put together a decent looking, great performing sub for about $250 using a used Shiva, PE 250 watt plate amp, sonotube and various odds and ends. Just took a little time. There's something to be said for building something yourself. I used a router for the first time.

Building this led me to another DIY project of mine. A MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) cabinet that allows me to play all the classic arcade games of my youth. Ms Pacman, Defender, Missile Command and about 3000 other games in the comfort of my basement.

I should get pics up of my basement with Axioms, DIY sub and Mame cabinet this weekend.

Frank

Re: Subwoofers - To buy or build, Choices & Ques.
#22960 10/27/03 02:25 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
What are recomendations between the HSU VTF-2 or the SVS 25-31PCi. I tried to contact Stryke Audio to inquire as to their mini thunder but got no response. The Dayton from parts express looked promising, but I've NEVER built something like this ever! I am looking to make a happy family of the following in a 11 x 15 room. I have all the parts here: M22's - VP150 - QS8 - Yamaha RX-V2400 - Monster HTS3600 - Sony DVD - Denon Cassette - Mitsubishi 36" TV - Hitachi VCR Only piece left is the subwoofer. I want to assemble all at once, since I will be using an entertainment center to house all the components. Rather take apart ONCE. Oh well, I'd like to order as early as Monday 10/27. Any advice. I know alot of you here, spiff esp, are high on the HSU VTF-2. Is the SVS PCi 25-31 worth the extra 71.73. Has anyone used one? How big is it "really" meaning when you got it home was it substantially visibly overpowering? It's a diff look compared to the "box". That's why I am curious. Plus the "WAF". I look forward to the opinions. Thanks,Dave

#22961 10/27/03 02:12 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
^

#22962 10/27/03 09:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well how much are you willing to spend on this? There are plenty of very small subwoofers I think are fairly nice (Carver's True Sunfire Signature comes to mind). It provides a HUGE punch and nice precision, almost rivaling that of a larger single driver configuration (my eminence for example). It is a very linear driver, which is good, so you may want to try one out.

Good Luck
-Will

#22963 10/27/03 09:56 PM
old hand
old hand
I haven't heard the SVS first hand, but let me second Spiff's nod on the VTF-2. I've had a b-stock for about 2 months now. If you can find one, $399 delivered, pretty hard to beat.

I'd been considering getting the PB2-ISD lately, I'd been having problems with the sub since I got it. I'd tried everything, or so I thought, placement, receiver settings, sub settings, even called HSU about the amp. This weekend I discovered the Y splitter that came with my sub cable was affecting the signal the sub was receiving. How, I don't know, but it kept going into stand by and cutting out if I turned the gain up more than 1/3. Out of frustration, I removed the splitter - holy s***! That little box really started rockin. I went back and watched the demos again, Episode I, U-571, Monsters...wooo-hooo!!! I put in the demo CD that HSU sends out and the walls started rattling!

I was convinced that I just had unrealistic expectations and just couldn't see what everyone else was raving about. The upgrade itch is history. Safe to say, I'm dusting off my soap box, it's time to start preaching. Spiff, you've got some company.

Just one man's $.02. Hope it helps.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters