Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Is it worth getting a headphone amp
St_PatGuy #230129 11/17/08 02:59 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

That confused me for a moment, of course that's a pretty easy feat.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

St_PatGuy #230130 11/17/08 02:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
 Quote:
I am not looking forward to the bigger amp even more.

I assume you mean you are now looking forward to the bigger amp?

Very good assumption!

See Mojo's signature
Wid #230131 11/17/08 03:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I edited the post! \:\)

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #230132 11/17/08 03:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Dontcha hate it when the typo is not just wrong, but changes the entire meaning of the sentence?

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #230133 11/17/08 03:08 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Missed it.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

EFalardeau #230302 11/18/08 01:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ok. Received the Little Dot Mk V this afternoon (14h30). It was quite a surprise as CanadaPost was showing the package in Vancouver until early PM.

Pretty tired after all the tests and listening.
Bottom line: very, VERY happy with the thing. Definitely a keeper.

If the Mk I was a marked improvement over straight connection and Boosteros, with an additional slight improvement when using pre-out instead of headphone jack, the Mk V builds on that. The further improvements over the Mk I, although not the Earth-shattering type, are noticeable... by making the headphones less noticeable. Sound is getting closer to the combination M80/A1400.

Previously, I was always a bit disapointed with my HD650 (pretty much like I was with the PXC-250 for the iPod). They were good, but at that price, I felt a bit cheated. I really liked them when I was listening using them and reading. Once in a while, I would go "hm... good heaphones...". Then, when I would sit down to truly listen... well, not so much.

Tonight, I spent an hour listening to a whole disk and it was very, very pleasant (not as pleasant as without the headphones and when the neighbors are not there, but a very positive experience nonetheless!).

Well... I will soon go get a beer (maybe a few) and then listen to something else.

So, unless the next fews days change my opinion or bring out very important info, here are my final thoughts:

1a)For the Combo iPod+PXC250 something like the Little Dot Mk I is a MUST

1b)Using the docking port as line out is highly recommended).

2) For the Combo Onkyo805+HD650 something like the Little Fot Mk V is highly recommended (receivers may differ a lot for better or for worse).

3) I would still like to try something the like HD-595 to see if benefits are as important as with high-impedence headphones.

As for me, I am now SET with regards to headphones and headphone amp!

PICTURES:

This is a surprisingly big device (bigger than the headphones and a little over 7 pounds). I have set it next to my couch on a little glass table (that would benefit from a little dusting!). Pretty neat!

The couch AND the corner!

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #230305 11/18/08 02:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Eric, I'm glad the separate amp worked out for you. It seems to take a little bit of oomph to make those HD650s shine. Thanks for taking the time to share with us all your testing of your headphone equipment.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #230311 11/18/08 02:43 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

That sure looks like a rather nice amp, 7lbs you say. That's some pretty good heft for a HP amp. Good to see you are pleased with your new toys.

Rick

Wid #230388 11/18/08 05:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This morning was a bit special.

I got up at 5h30 (a bit late for me, but I had gone to bed later also) and decided to listen to something before going to work (Poulenc's organ concerto if you really need to know! ;\) ). So I started to listen and, as the few seconds and then minutes went by, I was less than impressed by what I was earing.

So I stopped, convinced there was something wrong with my current setup (remember the number of config changes that are required to move from speakers to headphone!). Everything was fine config-wise. I started listening again. Not that there was anything wrong with it. It justs sounded ordinary (not flat or anything, just "sounded like it sounded").

After another 2 minutes, I stopped again, worried that I had hallucinated in the past week. I switched back to direct headphone. Boy, oh boy! NOW, I remembered what the difference was. It was like looking at a masterpiece through a glass window that is slightly dirty. You get used to it, but when the glass is removed: voila! Let there be light!

I just LOVE this! The amp is so coloration-less and clean that the music just sounds like it sounds. No Wow-ness, no magic, just pure sound straight out of the recording. Even the little noises from the musicians are now so "natural" that they are easier for the brain to filter out. The equipment I love the most is the one I forget about.

After that, I listened to Ravel's Mother Goose and now I was impressed, but only by the fact that I wasn't!

OK, now I am done with this topic, I swear! ;\)

Last edited by EFalardeau; 11/18/08 05:22 PM. Reason: past tense/present tense issues

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #230390 11/18/08 05:17 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
It was like looking at a masterpiece through a glass window that is slightly dirty. You get used to it, but when the glass is removed: voila! Let there be light!

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.

"A veil has been lifted".

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 1,306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup