Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
So what is going to happen when.....
#232840 12/05/08 04:29 AM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
all these people around the US that still have some TV's not on dish/cable, that currently can pick up their local analog stations just fine with their good ole rabit ear antennas, get screwed because the digital signal through these new converter boxes give you nothing but pixelation and audio cutting in/out?

There is a lot of antenna snake oil talk out there about you have to have a special antenna, which for the most part is BS. I live 20+ miles away from the towers broadcasting the digital signal. Are they not broadcasting at full power yet or what? I'm no putting an antenna on my roof/attic, just to make this work. What a joke.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: So what is going to happen when.....
SirQuack #232867 12/05/08 08:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"digital signal through these new converter boxes give you nothing but pixelation and audio cutting in/out?" I get that now with std, non-HD cable! Most of our local New Orleans stations are already broadcasting in HD, I get all of them over the air via a large Radio Shack antenna in the attic. It's actually pointed 90* away from where it should be and some nights I get better reception than others with lots of pixelation and broken audio, but less than the analog-over-cable feed. Sometimes it's picture perfect. So does that mean that the stations' a/d converters are crap, too?

Scott

Scott

My HT
a401classic #232888 12/05/08 02:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I used a $30 antenna to pick up some OTA HD cahnnels whiel I was in college and my cable provider (that was included with my rent) did not have HD. Occasionally I noticed problems, but for the most part preferred the digital signal over a fuzzy analog signal any day

-David
SirQuack #232989 12/05/08 10:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: sirquack

There is a lot of antenna snake oil talk out there about you have to have a special antenna, which for the most part is BS.

I caught a gardener snake last summer and put it over top of my antenna and the result is BS (Better Signal) \:\/

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #233100 12/06/08 04:20 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
\:D

SirQuack #235036 12/15/08 11:45 PM
devotee
devotee
I hate to think how many tax dollars we're sending to freaking china for these bloody "conveter boxes" Which will fill our landfills within 2 years. People will A: get the dam things and have no use for them cause it's free from the gov't and must be gotten, B: get the dam things without knowing wheather they need them or not, C: get the dam things then get tired of f-ing around with 2 remotes just to watch tv, and finally just buy a new tv, filling the landfill with that too.
The parents got theirs and they seem to work better than expected, I'm gonna try to coax them into a sage tv- extender setup.

not much gets me wound up anymore but this does.

need a vallium

SirQuack #257422 04/19/09 02:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
all these people around the US that still have some TV's not on dish/cable, that currently can pick up their local analog stations just fine with their good ole rabit ear antennas, get screwed because the digital signal through these new converter boxes give you nothing but pixelation and audio cutting in/out?

There is a lot of antenna snake oil talk out there about you have to have a special antenna, which for the most part is BS. I live 20+ miles away from the towers broadcasting the digital signal. Are they not broadcasting at full power yet or what? I'm no putting an antenna on my roof/attic, just to make this work. What a joke.

So I'm getting tired of the pixelation and broken audio even over our local cable and still tired of not getting all the digital OTA channels I should get. I am strongly resisting the cable upgrade to digital which will add ~$100/ month (Seriously, that would pay for an EP500 once a year, which I have a strong want for anyway, at least for the first year). I ran across THIS and thought what the heck, I can do that. I didn't have any coat hangers, but I've got miles of 12/2 romex. Long story short - I lost 2 channels I had with the attic antenna, got better reception on one channel and picked up 2 channels I didn't have before. The problem is that I lost the 2 channels I wanted to improve and could care less for the 2 I picked up.

So what's the real scoop on antennas for OTA digital reception?

Scott

Scott

My HT
a401classic #257544 04/20/09 04:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
90% of the population in the US already subscribes to satellite or cable, and the DTV transition is meaningless to them.

It is true that there is no such thing as an "HD" antenna. The brand-new "HD" antennas that some people have put up are identical to the ones sold 50 years ago.

The key feature of the TV antenna itself is whether it's tuned to receive VHF (2-13) or UHF (13-6x) channels. Everything else is a matter of height, direction, and cabling. Sites like AntennaWeb or TVFool (great site) can help you understand what you need to do as far as which channels you have a chance of getting and what you'll need to do to receive them. The further away you are, the higher and/or better antenna array you'll need to pick up the signals. If those two local channels are VHF, you need to make sure you're using an antenna that's designed to receive VHF signals. That may be why you lost the two channels when you made your own.

I have an AntennasDirect DB4 + ChannelMaster 7777 preamp/amp. Cost me about $100. The DB4 sits in a second-story window using old RG-59 cable (not as good as the recommended RG-6) to bring the signal to my den, a distance of about 75'. I'm able to pick up digital stations from up to about 60 miles away with perfect crystal-clear HDTV sound & picture while the same station's analog broadcast (from the same tower) is moderately snowy. Watchable, but snowy. Of course, that all depends on the station and how they're set up to broadcast. But it's not universally true that a DTV signal is weaker than an old analog one. Not at all.

Unless you live in a concrete bunker, there's really no reason why anyone shouldn't be able to pull in stations from 20-25 miles away with a reasonable little antenna, sitting on top of (or next to, or behind) their TV. I briefly owned this one, and it pulled in 25-mile away DTV stations beautifully.

If your local cable company's signal is crummy, that has nothing to do with the DTV transition. My local cable company is also terrible in terms of price and picture quality. I've been a very happy Dish Network customer for over 4 years now.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 04/20/09 04:46 PM. Reason: Links

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #257546 04/20/09 04:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
Unless you live in a concrete bunker

I live in a concrete bunker, in a depression, more than 60 miles from the closest HD broadcaster.

A little further south (maybe 20 miles) and I could pick up buffalo, a little west Rochester, south and east, Cleaveland.

I looked into antennas when I disconnected cable...

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #257549 04/20/09 05:08 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
PeterC, it's flat between you and the tower, isn't it? ;\)

Thanks for the links!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082