AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
1 registered (Hansang), 69 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22895 Topics
404600 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17781
pmbuko 16279
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10899
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2413 - 04/03/02 09:11 AM Center Channel
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Rotel - 840BX Integrated Amp manufactured around 85 / 86 in perfect working condition. I would like to know if there is a way to combine a center channel with a pair of M60ti speakers.
Thanks,

Jim

#2414 - 04/03/02 01:03 PM Re: Center Channel
alan Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Toronto/New York/Dwight
Hello Jim,
If I understand your question,your Rotel is a stereo amp--2 channels, left and right. You could use one of those two channels to drive a center-channel speaker, or you could drive the M60i's as front left and right main channels. But you need an outboard Dolby Digital or Pro Logic decoder to derive a center-channel signal from Dolby Surround tapes, DVDs or CDs, and an additional mono amp to drive the center channel. Technics used to offer an inexpensive outboard Dolby Digital/dts decoder, but you'll still need 3 extra amps for the center and two surround channels.

You might find a used Pro Logic decoder on ebay; Yamaha used to build some with ProLogic decoder and three internal amps built in to power the center channel and 2 surround channels. They were intended for people like you, who only had a simple stereo amp and wanted to upgrade to 5-channel home theater. You could use the Rotel to drive the main front left and right channel M60i's.

Regards,

#2415 - 04/03/02 06:50 PM Re: Center Channel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the input. Here is another question. Years ago I seem to remember seeing wiring diagrams showing a center speaker utilizing the + R and + L, do you recall seeing anything similar? If so, can it be done or am I dancing with the devil?
Thanks,

Jim

#2416 - 04/03/02 07:21 PM Re: Center Channel
BBIBH Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Canada
Yes, search for a post that I created, or replied to. It involves the B channel speakers, and is only really a stop gap measure. It requires a decent output stage, and should work with your Rotel.

Mike

#2417 - 04/03/02 09:35 PM Re: Center Channel
CAV104 Offline
veteran

Loc: Lake Worth, FL
Could not find post. I seem to recall seeing this in a DYNACO publication. My thought is to include a subwolfer as the center utilizing the +R and +L, but for now its just a thought. Allen might try this method over the next several days and post his results. WAIT and SEE
Jim /CAV104

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.