Print Thread
Rate Thread
KEF vs JM Labs vs Axiom
#25213 11/10/03 11:43 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi All,

This is my first post here, first home theater system and I need some help.

Technical details are: room size 15 x 25, ceiling height goes from 8 to 13 ft.

I have heard, and liked, the Kef Q series (Q1 bookshelves, Q2 Rears, and Q9 center) and the JM labs Chorus series (706 Bookshelves, SR700 rears and SR700 Center). The best way to describe what I liked, was the Kef's and JM's sounded bright and "wide open".

Listened to a Paradigm Mini monitor system, and did not like the laid back, almost muffled sound. The Boston Acoustics CR75 was between the Kef's/JM Labs and the Paradigm in regards to "clarity of sound" and "brightness"

I am considering the Axiom M3Ti (maybe M22Ti) fronts, Q4 rears, and a VP100 center. From what I have read in the forum, the Axiom's are also considered "bright". Before I buy, has anyone compared the Kef Q1's vs JM Labs Chorus vs the Axiom M3Ti's. Do these three speakers have a similar wide open sound?

Thanks
Ted

Re: KEF vs JM Labs vs Axiom
#25214 11/11/03 01:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I wouldn't describe the current KEFs particularly "bright" -- in fact, I felt that their treble (and the "presence" region) was a bit rolled-off/recessed. But, to my ears, the JM Labs were even slightly brighter and/or analytical than the Axioms. I've never listened to these brands of speakers side-by-side from each other anyway, and what I listened to were higher-end models from each brand.

At any rate, if you like clear, crisp and detailed sound with very open/airy and transparent imaging, you will be very happy with the Axioms. To beat the Axioms in these regards with other brands, you have to go for significantly more expensive models IMO.

#25215 11/11/03 03:50 AM
old hand
old hand
a few months ago, I upgraded some older Kef C-40's to the Axiom M60ti's. I always liked my Kef's and in fact I plan on putting them in my garage/workshop soon with the old Denon DR-555 stereo receiver. I like my Kef's but I LOVE my Axiom's.

#25216 11/11/03 04:36 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Hi boatasiaus,

When you say that the KEFs' and JMs' sound bright, do you mean as in sparkling/shimmering or do you mean the more negative conotation: over emphisized treble?

I have the 4th generation Q series KEFs (Q75, Q15, and Q95C) and they sound anything but "bright". They have the typical "British sound" often described as "polite" (rolled off highs) but a very smooth sounding mid range. They suite me just fine for Home Theater especially when the sound track is excessively "bright". And you're right, they do have a nice open presentation in that the sound flows out rather than forced out like some that I've heard like the B&Ws (please don't flame, its' just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.....) I found the Q1 to have pretty much the same charateristics(haven't heard the Q2s or Q9C). Having said that, I much prefer my Axiom M22s over the KEFs for critical two chanel music listening. The M22s have a more "honest" presentation: open, balanced frequency range and no nonsense "British or American or Canadian"...just very pleasantly neutral (to my ears, in my room). I must say here that I also have Magnepans which I absouletly adore for much the same reason that I like the M22s and more.

I haven't heard the JM Labs Chorus but I did hear some JM Labs car audio speakers which were in a wall display at Car Toys.....WOW! I fell in love with those speakers just from that crappy audition at Car Toys. I toyed with the idea of trying to stick some of those in my wall somewhere. Not really-but the thought did cross my mind.

I listened to the Paradigms' and I liked them a lot but I didn't hear anything that would drag me away from my M22s.

The Axiom speakers have an incredibly high price/quality ratio and are hard to beat at even four times the price. I suggest you order a pair of Axioms' and listen for yourself. It will only cost you the return shipping should you decide you don't like them. Thats' what I did....I bought them just to audition them in my own home fully intending to return them and take the hit on shipping because I had to see for myself if all the great reviews(from writers I respected) were right. I liked them so much, I never returned them.

I urge you to try the Axioms' before you buy anything else and while you're at it try some Kirin Ichiban...(it will cause you to make longer posts and use you real name).

Sincerely yours,
Mike Campo

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#25217 11/11/03 02:16 PM
buff
buff

When I was looking, my final decision came down to the JMLabs (same Chorus line) and the Axioms. I think (if my memory serves me well) that they display very similar characteristics, though like Sushi, I never listened to them side-by-side. I really liked the JMLabs center channel and believe it is at least as good as Axiom's VP line, but quadpolar QS4/8s won the surround contest. Note that the JMLabs have "simulated" bipolar surrounds (i.e., one driver but the cabinet is shaped like a bipolar speaker).

#25218 11/11/03 08:31 PM
B
OP Offline
B
All

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess my terminology might be a bit off, being very new at this ....

I said bright but with further research, I beleive the correct term might be forward. Put another way, the Kef/JM Labs products seem to accentuate the high end = the treble side, while the Paradigm's, in my humble opinion, seem to be stronger in the mid range, with a significantly lower higher register. Note that the evaluations for Paradigm and JM Labs were an A/B comparison, in 2 channel stereo mode, same room, same receiver, etc, while the Kef's were evaluated in a different room.

Based on discussions with Axiom, the best bookshelf to match the clarity and "forwardness" of the Kef's/JM Labs Fronts, is the M22Ti.

Once again, thanks for the help

Ted

#25219 11/11/03 09:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Perhaps this glossary will help Ted and everybody else who are in search of "correct" words describing the speaker sound.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044