Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Surges and brown outs
jakewash #258451 04/27/09 06:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I bought mine from eCost. I lied. It wasn't $120, it was $144. Maybe it was $120+$24 shipping. I don't remember. It's a heavy box. See how the memory fades...

Past discussion on this: http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=161443&fpart=1 You can see that this topic can cause tempers to flare... \:\(

~$200 isn't bad but you can do better. Like I said, these things go on sale every now and then. Put in a Pricegrabber alert and just sit back and wait a few weeks. Your patience may be rewarded.

While I don't regularly sit on the floor in front of the PF60 and watch the display change, I have seen it register as much as ~10 amps. That was with my old CRT Tube 36" TV, LPA-1, SVS PCi+ 20-39 sub, VSX-43TX AVR (as prepro), Dish DVR, and Denon DVD120 player. Though ~1.1 amps of that is just for my idle Dish DVR box, so ~9a was going towards 'music'.

I've since moved the sub to a wall outlet (better placement), but it is still on the same circuit. My PF60 now powers the same gear as above + a PS/3, an AppleTV, but with my 61" Samsung LED DLP instead of that old 36" CRT. I've seen it hit 7-8 amps during very loud 5.1 channel movie demos (+100db). But never more than that. This is on a 15a circuit. Never tripped it.

If I remember tonight, I'll see if I can change the display settings to just monitor the LPA-1's power bank output. I usually keep it in an 'All Banks' display, but it's configurable to just show individual banks, I think. Then I could tell you how many amps it'll pull when blasting M80's.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 04/27/09 06:38 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
davekro #258452 04/27/09 06:19 PM
C
ctk Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I am currently running an IBM 1500TLV UPS on my equipment. I feel better knowing that if the power goes out while I'm watching a movie, I can at least finish the current scene before I have to shut everything off ;\)

If you keep your eye out you can pick them up real cheap (mine was $60). Where I live there is a company that handles some of the oil firms IT and they had quite a few extras sitting around (never used) and they just wanted to get rid of them. I'm sure there are some other great deals as other companies are downscaling.

Play it loud...
ctk #258453 04/27/09 06:27 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
I too, bought mine from eCost, but paid the extra to get it in black, including shipping, taxes etc. it came to a little over $300cdn, much cheaper than the $500 I could find locally.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Murph #258465 04/27/09 06:49 PM
wow.

We've been calling you that for years.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #258476 04/27/09 08:15 PM
I call him Homurph, myself.

Murph #258477 04/27/09 08:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Siblings separated at birth... (though I think I may have a multitude here on the forums!) \:D

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
davekro #258505 04/28/09 01:01 AM
devotee
devotee
If you think there is something about the power effecting your audio, rebuild the power supplies in all your gear. Especially the stuff that probably has 78xx/79xx regulators in it, found often powering line stages in DACs/the converter chips themselves.

If you don't have the desire to learn this stuff, or do it, or don't know enough about basic power supply design to be able to point out the flaws in the power supplies used in tons of modern consumer level receivers(among other sections), I'd say you're not qualified to make the decision to spend money on a power conditioner.

If you REALLY think power is an issue(it often is, just not in the way that snake oil manufacturers advertise it is), then go nuts and replace all the supplies in your gear with stuff from power one linear. Making something as good as a good Power one Linear will cost as much and be much more trouble. You can find them on mouser and digikey, and on ebay often. I bought a $9.99 12vdc power supply for my DAC that improved it. Whether or not the sound quality is superior is something I'll not speak on since I didn't do an A/B test, but I know without an A/B test it significantly reduced the noise floor over the wall wart it came with.

The best case scenario is that the power conditioner gives you a perfect 120 VAC, with no extra noise. Most don't even do that much. This is meaningless if the power supply inside your gear does a poor job of converting the 120VAC to a smooth, flat line, ripple free DC of the proper voltage. I'd rather have a typical house A/C and spend my money on sick power supplies to convert that into pristine DC than spend a ton on something to make sure my A/C isn't noisy while completely ignoring the trash power supplies that might be sitting in my gear.

I'm not talking about what goes into NAD, Rotel, old Adcom, old Marantz, or Parasound. They are good companies with quality designs. I'm talking about the power supplies inside most low end(and even some high end) receivers. Even most "pro" audio gear is full of crap compared to what you find inside good hi-fi gear from the aforementioned brands.

If you use separates or integrated gear from a reputable company, you are probably fine. If you use some cheap 5.1 receiver, I would spend money replacing the 5v used to power the digital and the probable +/- 12-15v power supply used to power the line level stages in the device. Having the 12/15 bipolar and the 5v on separate transformers is ideal as the regulator for the 5v rail will have to work less and there'll be less noise leaking between the two. I always try to separate the supply for the digital from the supply for the analog.

Whether or not this sounds crazy is up to you, but two things are for sure:

a) It will cost way less than buying a good 120VAC power conditioner.

b) It will have a more measurable, and in the cases of poorly designed gear; actually AUDIBLE effect on sonic quality than a 120vac power conditioner.

But, most likely, it's best that you not go down the crazy road of modifying and probably for the first few projects ruining everything you own(like I did), when you can just sit back and enjoy the system you have.

<i>**once, before becoming electronics techncician, bought a power conditioner for his hi-fi, and lived to regret it and write this rant</i>

Last edited by Thasp; 04/28/09 01:03 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters