room design dilema
#26408 11/25/03 11:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm upgrading from a 20 yr old stereo system to surround but my preference is still audio. I've recently bought an HK AVR receiver becaue I prefer the clarity and brightness compard to my onkyo receiver. now the dilema. my room has an alcove where the stereo & ht should be placed and it's 26" deep & 7' wide so that means that the front speakers will be closer to walls than is normaly desireable. I seem to prefer the full range of towers, but am concerned about their placement limitations especially considering the rear vortex port. Also, adding to the acoistical problem, the FR (20x13)is part of an open floorplan (max 33x20) Which would be better: M60s, M50s, M22s & a sub or another suggestion? Also, How does Axiom compare to Paradigm's M60s? Thanks

Re: room design dilema
#26409 11/26/03 08:12 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
NC, maybe I don't have the right impression of your room, but assuming that the TV was in the alcove, the mains don't also have to be there. If the room is about 20' wide and you're going to sit at least 10' away it would seem that the mains could be separated a foot or more wider than the alcove. As long as there's at least 3" of breathing room for the rear ports, that placement should work well. In that size room M60s would be fine if you prefer towers.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#26410 11/27/03 07:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes, the tv is supposed to go into the alcove too. the alcove is at one end of the 20 foot length. (the 30 ft part is including the entire open area) the width of the FR (carpeted area) is about 13 ft. i should have as much as 9" of space behind the towers but less on the side of the towers. if i toe in, i'll gain a few more inches.

#26411 11/27/03 07:39 PM
devotee
devotee
ok. i think i understand. His alcove is meant to hold all his HT equipment, and he doesnt really want his speakers to stick out since its only 26 inches deep.

suggestion- push everything out a couple inches, includign the T.V., reciever etc. If everything is in line, people with think its supposed to look that way. (actually, only women will think this) Guys wont notice(or give a damn).

In terms of speakers i would atleast go with the m60. But i would ask alan over email what you should do, considering your room dimensions. He is always honest and prompt in returning emails.

I would look at a sub, but thats me. And i am getting m22, which really benefit from a sub. If i were you though, i would get m80's and dont get a sub. Unless you really want one.

In terms of comparison, i have not heard the paradigm line you are refering too. But if you have read all the profesional reviews out there on both lines, i think you will come to the conclusion the axioms are better(based solely on reviews). Furthermore, i have seen personal reviews on this board and others where people have compaired the 2. Unfortunately, i have looked at a lot of posts, and dont remember when or where.

try using the search feature, it might help in finding a comparison

Once You Pop You Can't Stop

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,020 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup