Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 48 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 47 48
Re: The world's newest Axiomite it born...
Ya_basta #265461 07/06/09 12:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Zimm, that's really cool. For the love of Pete, I hope that is Teri loading me up, dressed in the gray spandex suit, rather than Dean

Perhaps someone with actual skill can get her image on there so you can have a final print/avitar. I'm happy to ship the file to whoever can do real art work. That whole Super Dave bit had me smiling all day. Good stuff.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
grunt #265492 07/06/09 03:55 AM
shareholder in the making
I find it amusing that in that entire wikipedia link, there are no pictures of male cosplayers.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #265495 07/06/09 04:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Ken, you need to submit some pics then.

\:\)

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Ken.C #265499 07/06/09 04:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I find it amusing that in that entire wikipedia link, there are no pictures of male cosplayers.

That’s what makes it a great and not average invention ;\)

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Micah #265500 07/06/09 04:30 AM
Micah, regarding adding extra damping to the EP800 box, I'd check with Axiom before attempting it. Ian tends to use a "just enough" philosophy with internal bracing, and I believe they've done some tests that show excessive bracing can actually harm the sound.

pmbuko #265507 07/06/09 05:22 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Really? Wow that's hard to understand. I can't think of a reason why more bracing would be detrimental? Does that mean that 400 pound Elemental Design subwoofer is hopelessly over internally braced? Perhaps it absorbs too much of the lower frequencies? I will have to ask Ian about that one.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #265509 07/06/09 05:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I would be interested in seeing the reply to that one. From what I understand, most speakers and subs are a compromise. More bracing reduces cabinet resonance, but adds to the manufactureing cost and a lot to shipping costs.

You would not want to change the internal volume too much by adding bracing, but dynamat dosn't fall into that catagory.

The more interesting question is how audible cab resonance is.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #266301 07/16/09 04:26 PM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: fredk
I would be interested in seeing the reply to that one.

Ok well here is what I wrote to Alan...

Originally Posted By: Micah

Hi Alan, I have a quick question for you. I bought an EP800 about a month ago and had a few problems with it. First off the amp was bad so I had to get a new one. When the new one came I installed it and it worked like a charm. But that's when I noticed that at least one of the woofers was bad (the right one forsure). So I played the unit with the amp out so I could watch the back of the subwoofer work to see if I could see what the problem was. That's when my question dawned on me...

First of all let me tell you that the EP800 is an excellent product, and I'm not trying to imply that it's not a quality unit at all here. But you see I've always been a tinkerer, I like to maximize the performance of the things I own, much like my heavily modified motorcycle. It was a great bike right out of the crate, but I wanted to see how far I could push it!

So what dawned on me when I had the amp off and was watching the drivers work was that I might line the inside of the box with Dynomat to further insulate and deaden the soundfield inside the box. But I wanted to check with you first to ask if there would be any ill effects of doing this? I'm not talking about any additional bracing, just applying regular Dynomat to the walls, floor and ceiling of the box. I did this with a JL audio subwoofer box that I had in my car and it worked great. Of course it was a much less expensive unit, so before I go modifying a $2300 dollar piece of equipment I figured I should at least hear your opinions on the matter to see if this type of material had already been experimented with and found to be detrimental to the sound at all, or if you thought it couldn't hurt, and may even improve it even slightly.

Thanks in advance.

Micah.

And his reply...

Originally Posted By: Alan

Hi Micah,

Sorry you had trouble with the EP800 amp. I also wanted to point out that the woofers in the EP800 will "work" very differently with the amplifier removed because then it is no longer a sealed system (acoustic suspension). In the latter design, the air pressure inside the box works as an acoustic "spring", unlike that of a vented (ported) system. In the EP800, both woofers are driven, but the excursion of each (the back and forth movement) may not be identical. I hope your woofers are back to normal.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with JL audio subs, nor with Dynomat (from its name, I assume it's an absorbent material that you use to line the interior of the enclosure with) but of course if you want to try it, you can do so. Technically, that would violate your warranty. It also might reduce the performance of the EP800 by changing the resonant frequency of the drivers and the system. You don't want to absorb or deaden too much of the interior energy radiated at the rear of the woofers because it will alter the performance of the sealed system.

I'll foward your inquiry to Ian Colquhoun, the designer and owner of Axiom, to see what his thoughts might be.

I understand your urge to tinker. I've been doing that for years, especially back when I built some transmission-line subwoofers in the late 1970s. While at the time I was thrilled with their performance (especially because I'd built them), I hasten to add that the performance of the EP500 and its brethren greatly exceed that of my home-built subs.

Regards,

Alan

So it sounds to me as if lining the top and bottom of the subwoofer may be alright, but not the back. I'm going to resist tinkering with it until I hear back from Ian on the matter. Also voiding my warranty sort of bites.

Last edited by Micah; 07/16/09 04:29 PM.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #266304 07/16/09 04:50 PM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Any my latest reply to Alan...

[quote=Micah}

Ok well I do appreciate your time and thoughts on the matter. And I am eager to hear Ian's thoughts as well. Just to let you know, I was aware that playing the unit with the amp removed would change the dynamics of the system, so I wasn't doing any listening tests or anything while running this experiment. I was simply trying to watch the travel of the woofer cone to see if a wire or something was getting in the way of the speaker while it was operating.

The problem with the bad speaker (there is a replacement speaker on it's way as we speak) presented itself during movie play back where there was a lot of LFE present. During almost all of my musical recordings the EP800 seems to work flawlessly. But when really low, probably inaudible frequencies are played the right speaker has a nasty 'clanking' sound to it... I originally thought I was bottoming out the speakers. But of course this is something that the XLF won't alow, so I knew it had to be a faulty speaker. And this was all discovered with the amp firmly in place and the entire system sealed as it was intended to be, so it wasn't a reaction to a change in the original design.

I can't wait to get the new speaker installed so that I can enjoy movies the way they were meant to be heard. I'm already enjoying my music collection like I've never enjoyed it before. The M80's are truely a world class speaker. And I enjoy playing my music in 5.1 channel for the first time ever because the VP150, and the QS8's are up to the task of playing with just as much fidelity as their tower big brother. The result is my entire livingroom is filled with incredible sounding music. And all for a price that truely shocks me. I would put my system up against a system costing double what I paid any day.

I honestly believe they are that good!

[/quote]

Now don't go calling me a 'suck-up'... these are after all the same thoughts I've shared on this board time and time again! ;\)

Last edited by Micah; 07/16/09 04:52 PM.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #266307 07/16/09 04:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I wouldn't try that simply because it will void your 5 warranty and especially with an expensive piece of equipment such as the 800. Voiding Axiom's warranty replacement/customer service is not worth it in my opinion just to add a gimmicky product such as dynamat to the enclosure. I am not saying it will not work, I just don't like the tradeoff. But you are free to do anything you like of course \:\) .

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Page 15 of 48 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 47 48

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020