Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Summer Games are approaching
#267560 07/30/09 11:53 AM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thought I'd add this in for no other reason but you guys are music lovers and might appreciate it.

I've been working since last year on a volunteer committee as part of the 2009 Canada Summer Games (A national Olympic style event for young athletes. There is a winter version too.) My committee is more about the accompanying Arts and Cultural Festival where the host province gets to highlight it's unique culture to all the athletes and visitors it brings and to locals of course.

I've been in charge of the performing arts, mainly musical. For every night of the two weeks of the Games, we have a concert series in local venues spread across the province featuring all the top names in PEI singers, bands, dancers, etc. Of course, Celtic and Maritime music plays a big part but we have every genre from bluegrass to classical to rock covered.

Aside from a few years working in and a few performances in theater, this has been my first foray into the music scene. It's been a real education working to get contracts signed and venues booked over the last year. Working with big agencies and individual artists alike.

Actually, I think I finally got the last contract signed with just under three weeks to go so probably why I needed to vent somewhere. Family and work already have heard all about it so here I am.

In case you need a unique vacation experience in the last two weeks of August, we will be in prime beach season combined with top notch sporting events spread all across PEI. And, of course, you will be able to experience PEI's top musicians for FREE!

Not sure how deeply into the States these names spread but if anyone is actually interested, here is just a few.

Lennie Gallant -- very well renowned folk singer

Richard Wood -- One of the worlds best fiddlers (modern and traditional) who has played literally around the world and spent a couple of years touring with Shania Twain.

Brooke Millar -- Up and coming jazz singer along with the more Internationally known Theresa Doyle (mostly Europe.)

Up and coming rock bands like "Two Hours Traffic" and "Paper Lions" -- who's names you might not know but if you watch shows like "The OC" or "Grey's Anatomy" you have heard several of thier songs playing in the background.

Soo many more and we also have a World Music Night featuring the music and culture of our vibrant immigrant cultures.

Anywhoooo,
just bragging a bit since it's finally coming together. it's been quiet an experience.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: The Summer Games are approaching
Murph #267567 07/30/09 01:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
What? no Zeppelin reunion?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #267577 07/30/09 04:00 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Wow! Andrew, having been integrally involved in more than a few volunteer enterprises, I just want to offer you some empathy and say "thank you" for getting it done so that so many others can have a wonderful experience. That sounds amazing!

Actual dates? Website? Code of nearest airport? \:\)

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #267579 07/30/09 04:33 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Charlottetown code is YYG. August 15-29.

http://www.2009canadagames.ca/en/

Yeah, yeah. Solve my own problem.

Just realized that I don't have a valid passport. Pity.

Northwest Airlines was going to get me there and back for $45 + 40,000 miles. Of course, it takes ~14 hours each way when you have to go through Atlanta and Boston first...

And DirecTV doesn't even give me CBC.

I'm trying to stay positive, but the disappointment may overcome me.

Have a great time!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #267583 07/30/09 05:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I believe you can watch the CBC via streaming online from various sites. I know they stream from their website, but only certain content.

I watch a fair amount of online TV, and have found this website to be the best by far, with a database of 3000 stations from around the world.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #267584 07/30/09 05:36 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
heh heh, Thanks Tom. After this, I'm taking a break and will only be keeping my position on the National Board for United Way of Canada. I need a break.

You should still wrangle a way up here. I was just about to enter you into my database as a volunteer to be Brooke Miller's personal assistant, one of my more sought after jobs, at least with the guys.

Brooke Miller, World on a Whim

Here is another, just cause I always like to give Richard a plug cause he is a generously nice guy and prove to the masses that fiddling isn't always the old grampa stuff you might expect.

Richard Wood @ Celtic Electric

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044