Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Epic 60 Home Theater Reciever Match
#28465 12/21/03 10:40 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Sorry if this is repeated else where but I checked around and didn't quite find what I was looking for. I recently purchased a Marantz SR7400 to replace my HK AVR325(which is now in my bedroom). I've now began searching for an entire new set of speakers for my HT. I'm quite interested in the Epic 60 HT. The problem is that as I've been searching I've started considering returning my Marantz for the HK AVR630, which was my initial choice. So the question is which of these two recievers compliments the Epic 60, or any Axioms for that matter, more. I would appreciate any helpful comments.

Re: Epic 60 Home Theater Reciever Match
#28466 12/21/03 04:14 PM
devotee
devotee
I think that you will find that the consensus here is that any high quality receiver from a reputable manufacturer will work well with the speakers you are considering. Speakers are much more important to the final quality of the sound than electronics. Some here favor the new Yamahas and Pioneer Elites that have a feature that automatically equalizes the sound in order to nullify the effects of room acoustics on the sound.

Bottom line, look for the features you want at a price you can afford. I've had Denons and Onkyos and have always been happy with them. Either of the receivers you are considering will make you very happy when heard through the Axioms.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
Re: Epic 60 Home Theater Reciever Match
#28467 12/21/03 04:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi jcollins1777,

I'm uncertain about the quality of current Marantz components. For years, Marantz was owned and built by Philips, which have had lousy quality control in the past. Marantz also seem slow to pick up and integrate new technology. Now Marantz is owned by the same holding company that owns Denon, but I don't know who builds the Marantz line or if the quality control has improved.

If you do careful A/B comparisons of well-engineered modern A/V receivers (switch out the tone-control circuits because none of those are absolutely flat, which will produce audible differences in sound quality), there are not significant audible differences unless the units are pushed into clipping or near-clipping.

That said, I'd stick with H/K, Denon, or the new NAD, all of which will drive 4-ohm loads like the Axiom M80s. This isn't an issue with the 8-ohm M60s, but it nonetheless speaks to beefier power supplies that don't go into protection mode or current-limiting when confronted with lower-impedance loads. I've been using an H/K AVR525, which I generally like. In many years of testing, writing and editing equipment reviews, I've never detected audible differences between solid-state amplifiers that couldn't be attributed to measurable differences in linearity (see my comments about tone-control circuits) or eccentricities (rare) in design.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup