Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom
wilwom #300113 04/03/10 03:02 PM
aficionado
aficionado
C'mon guys....Axiom speakers as we all know, in addition to great sound, are well known as a good value.
I don't think they sat around and said: "subwoofers...let's make them really expensive, and unlike the rest of our products". They cost, what they cost to produce, and sell, due to the same economic realities they face with all the other products.
IF, they are guilty of anything.........it could be said, there may have been a "rush to market" with the new series.

Larry (fanboy)

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
pmbuko #300115 04/03/10 03:05 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Quote:
Kill him!!!

Now, THAT'S funny! (without being snarky, too)

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #300116 04/03/10 03:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
A Axiom DSP controlled subwoofer does not necessarily equal greater performance over a non DSP competitor sub. Though I imagine the DSP section/technology adds significantly to the cost to produce. There are many ways to design a subwoofer and there are plenty of non DSP subwoofers that perform extremely well and at a lower cost.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
SirQuack #300117 04/03/10 03:15 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
 Originally Posted By: sirquack

In regards to the EP series, I don't see other manufacturers offering the same technology using DSP controlled chips with the same power.
Paradigm does, the DSP series and they are considerably cheaper. The 3200 can be bought for nearly half the price of the 500 or the 3400 for $300-400 less than the 500. I think that is the only real competition. I have not seen any other manufacturers using DSP, but do they need to? The EP350 works incredibly well, doesn't use DSP and is priced right in comparison to the competitors.

Maybe Axiom needs to bring out non-DSP versions of the 600/800 for those that want to experience the upper end of Axiom subs without the higher costs associated with their DSP technology.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #300119 04/03/10 03:24 PM
OK, I hesitate to wade into this thread, but a couple of things.
1. It seems somewhat impolite to post this on Axiom's own forum. That may not be the case, but that's how I feel.
2. How's the fit and finish on these other subs? I'm sure in several cases it's quite good, but I imagine that plays into it.
3. Where are the other subs manufactured? While Axiom does own and operate a factory in China, I believe that what is manufactured there is the smaller drivers for the regular line. Amps are hand built in Canada, the cabinets are assembled in Canada, and I believe the 12" drivers are also built in Canada. You're going to pay for that--that's just the way it is. Don't like Chinese manufacturing? Don't complain when stuff built in Canada or the US costs more.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I haven't heard most of the other subs. I've heard a couple of SVSes, and they were quite good. I own an EP350v3, which I got on eBay from Axiom for less than retail, so I understand the cost sensitivity.

Last edited by kcarlile; 04/03/10 03:25 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #300120 04/03/10 03:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Axiom subs are higher priced as compared to their competitors. You cannot argue that point. As far as impoliteness goes, this is a forum... I expect everyone to speak their mind. I also think that Axiom would want to hear candid opinions to make their products even better.

To be quite honest, to me anyway, I don't really care where they are built as long as I get a quality product for a fair price. I paid a premium for the EP800s and I know it. I did it because I like the way the company operates, I love their products and more importantly their support, and I will pay more for a speaker that I know I will get support from.

To be quite frank, I feel that there is better bang for the buck out there as far as subs go (SVS and HSU are perfect examples). I chose to stay with the company that I respect, and maybe help support them in their endeavors to make a truly world class sub. Also, in my case for sure, Axiom lost a good deal of money in shipping charges alone to make my EP800s right. And if they do fail in the future (which is entirely possible), I know they will be there to make things right.

I have heard other subs, and they are just as good as Axioms... Some even better (though VERY few compete with the EP800). I'm hoping that will change (and I'm helping to support the change).

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
SRoode #300121 04/03/10 03:43 PM
Well, I guess I should have used the word I was going to use initially: impolitic. I'll concede your point about people speaking their minds.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #300125 04/03/10 04:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't see this thread as bashing their subs or being impolite to the company. I feel it is the opposite, in fact quite a compliment to the company that their customers actually care to give constructive criticism. There have been some excellent suggestions in this thread already. This type of feedback is a great way for companies to be able to understand their customer base, their needs and possibly use such information as indicators to develop new product/service for the future and more importantly the ability to provide it at the correct time to meet the needs. This type of thinking and approach is vital to growth and stability and imo very valuable.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #300128 04/03/10 05:42 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I agree with Ken's original post.

In the interest of full disclosure, when I was in the market for a $600 sub 6 years ago, I ended up with an SVS. A major factor in my decision was that I wanted a down-firing form factor. Since then, I have heard Axiom subs and been very favorably impressed.

Here's my problem - I have no idea how many subs Axiom sells. We - as forum-dwellers - only see their business through the lens of what is posted here, not through production and accounting. So, I really have no idea what percentage of defects we're talking about here. And I will add the old adage that it's not what happens to you, it's how you respond that matters.

In addition, we all know that once something is posted on the internet, it never goes away and it takes reasonable scrutiny to ascertain the credibility of each individual message. The concept of free, broad-based publishing implies new responsibilities for both author and reader relative to our freedoms. Bill, have you heard Axiom subwoofers? The more often something is repeated, the closer it gets to Internet Truth regardless of its origin.

Finally, from a Cosmic perspective, I'm trying to do good. I absolutely want to hear about positive experiences regardless of manufacturer. If we're having asset-based (rather than deficit-based) conversations, people can more easily draw their own conclusions. I want Axiom to do well because I enjoy and appreciate their products, their people and their business model. I don't see how perpetuating the "Axiom subs are not a good value" opinion on the Axiom board does anyone "good".

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #300130 04/03/10 06:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
+1 Tom and Ken!

See Mojo's signature
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics