Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 52 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 51 52
Re: Version 3
TonyMc #312117 06/27/10 06:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Isn't the magnetic grills and the silver dust covers the only difference between your speakers and the new v3's? Sonically, wouldn't the speakers be identical?

Rick
Our Room

smile
TonyMc #312118 06/27/10 06:37 PM
shareholder in the making
So, you paid your money to get custom V2 speakers, and you actually got some V3 attributes... and you're upset that you didn't get more?

Anybody who buys something must be aware that at some point a newer version is coming out. Sometimes that's a year away, sometimes it's a week. Rather than seeing this glass as half-empty, yes, you could actually be glad that you got more than what you were expecting at the moment you committed to purchase.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #312127 06/27/10 06:58 PM
T
old hand
old hand
T
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
So, you paid your money to get custom V2 speakers, and you actually got some V3 attributes... and you're upset that you didn't get more?

Anybody who buys something must be aware that at some point a newer version is coming out. Sometimes that's a year away, sometimes it's a week. Rather than seeing this glass as half-empty, yes, you could actually be glad that you got more than what you were expecting at the moment you committed to purchase.

It doesn't matter how you spin it Mark. A year is a whole lot further away than two months when it comes to product change over. If I did that to my customers I would be out of work and I've been doing what I do for a lot of years.

TonyMc #312129 06/27/10 07:06 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I have the older M80tis (7 years old), I bought them right before the V2s came out. I mean it was right before and I was never told about the upgraded V2s.

I can't say I was ever upset as am still very satisfied with my purchase.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

TonyMc #312132 06/27/10 07:08 PM
It's not spin. It's an opinion that simply doesn't match yours.

Look, some companies advertise or "leak" that they have new product being released and some don't. As often as I see that with Apple or Microsoft or technology in general, I DON'T see it with, for example, speaker companies.

Maybe you'll think this a silly example, but I went grocery shopping this morning. I bought some Breyer's ice cream. If I go back tomorrow, do you think I'll be upset that they had a newer flavor in stock that they didn't have today?

No.

I decided to purchase it, knowing what it was, for that price at that time. The exchange of my money was based upon what I knew of the product at the time.

In your case, you got BETTER than that, because you actually received some V3 benefits BEYOND the product you were agreeing to purchase.

It's not spin. It's an opinion that simply doesn't match yours.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
fredk #312134 06/27/10 07:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I’m actually a bit put off by the review Ian posted because of what it implies about the M80v2:

Quote:

“The changes that you've made to the M80s are not subtle. It is that different! The first thing that I noticed was that the sound stage increased, dramatically. I describe it now as voluminous, wide and deep but at the same time, minutely precise. It's like the curtains were pulled back away from the stage. The sound field increased in all dimensions. I especially hear a lot more spatial depth. It's much easier to locate the position of performers in the sound field. The sound is especially seductive. It wraps around you.

Translation: The M80v2 has a thin soundstage lacking depth and precision while sounding somewhat muffled.

Quote:

The sound seems much more uniform over all frequencies. . . . This is how I feel about these speakers. My impression is that you've particularly smoothed out the transition between the mid range and highs.

Translation: The M80v2s exhibit an uneven frequency response particularly when transitioning between the highs and mids.

Quote:

I am particularly blown away by the high end of these speakers. There's a new precision and GREATLY increased detail in the sound. . . . I'm hearing the 'core' of the sound with all music through this system like never before. Solo instruments and voices sound live, with minute detail in the sound. . . . I listened to a lot of music louder than one probably should and the sound was not fatiguing. There's so much space around the upper frequencies. . . . Additionally, there's a nice big fat, spacious area in the mids. Also of note are trumpets and brass. Rather than going 'ouch' on a loud passage, you get chills. Again, 'expansive' comes to mind. . . .

Translation: On the M80v2 the high end lacks precision/detail giving the sound a “recorded/reproduced” quality. Listening to them is fatiguing and even painful during loud passages. Also, the mids sound a bit sucked out.

About a year back the Skiing Ninja made similar comments on the Tweak City forums about a new crossover he designed for an AV123 speaker. The implication to the owners was that the speakers they presently had sounded like crap but would be greatly improved by replacing the crossover. The Ninja was taken to task by the speaker’s owners for the way he made those comments. This review about the M80v3 compared to the M80v2 gives me the same bad vibe. IMO singing the praises of the M80v3 could have been done more subtly and w/o essentially putting down the M80v2 in the process. I know that was not the intent but it was the result.

Note that I’m not criticizing Axiom for improving it’s speakers nor wanting to share their enthusiasm for the improvements. I just preferred the way the transition from “ti” to “v2” was handled (more subtly). This was handled much more like other companies do when rolling out a new speakers model even though the improvement process (incrementally upgrading) was still the same. Sure it will all blow over shortly and the hoopla will likely generate more sales than it looses but it moves Axiom one step closer to being like “all the other companies” IMO. Offering upgrade kits does mitigate this somewhat though at that price IMO it opens the door to reevaluating other brands which one can surmise have also undergone improvements over time.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
MarkSJohnson #312135 06/27/10 07:19 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
It's a reasonable opinion and a good way of looking at things, but I can understand being soured by the timing. I wouldn't blame anyone, but I'd mutter about my luck, no question.

grunt #312137 06/27/10 07:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with you, Dean. I thought about getting the VP180 but I couldn't help but wonder if there might be a timbral difference with my existing V2's(M80).

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Wid #312139 06/27/10 07:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tony, when I purchased my M80's in 07, I emailed Axiom and asked them if they where going to be releasing a model or something better than the current M80. I gave them a timeframe (a couple months I believe) and they replied something to the extent of "yes, but not in the timeframe I gave them. I thought it was nice that they even replied. So, I ordered my M80's and I'm glad I did because if I was waiting for an upgrade, I would have been waiting until now AFAIK.

Long story short- I bet if you inquired as I did, Axiom most likely would have told you. There's culpability on the end users behalf also.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Adrian #312140 06/27/10 07:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Adrian
I agree with you, Dean. I thought about getting the VP180 but I couldn't help but wonder if there might be a timbral difference with my existing V2's(M80).

Same here Adrian. The last time Sean was over I even discussed with him the possibility of getting a VP180 to mount above my screen. Then for movies and concert DVDs I would run dual centers, a vertical M80 under and a horizontal VP180 above. Since I do like the wider dispersion of a horizontal center for those uses plus the “wall-of-sound” having over/under centers gives. Perhaps for those uses a slight timbre mismatch might not be as noticeable especially when blended with a M80v2.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Page 10 of 52 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 51 52

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters