Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: EP500 Not working
Robert_W #333541 01/05/11 08:04 PM
shareholder in the making
That amp is the latest design. It may be that the documentation was updated sometime after you received your original subwoofer and that it hasn't been updated to reflect the most recent changes. That would explain the references to wire colors on both the amp and woofer being incorrect.

At this point, wouldn't you rather have an amp with the most recent upgrades included (perhaps done on an older amp, hence the refurb "feel" your're referring to) than a "new" one that's been in a box and might not have the most recent changes?

pmbuko #333547 01/05/11 08:21 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
That amp is the latest design. It may be that the documentation was updated sometime after you received your original subwoofer and that it hasn't been updated to reflect the most recent changes. That would explain the references to wire colors on both the amp and woofer being incorrect.

At this point, wouldn't you rather have an amp with the most recent upgrades included (perhaps done on an older amp, hence the refurb "feel" your're referring to) than a "new" one that's been in a box and might not have the most recent changes?

No. Especially if that old one had been used and abused for years then refurbed. Given my track record with these things I would rather have new version 2.3 or what ever than old version 2.4. And I would think they should all have the latest upgrades.

And yes the documentation does seem to be upgraded to reflect something completely different. Something newer. So how do I know then that this "new" amp that I received has all the latest upgrades when it and the documentation don't match?

It's just that I was never told I would be purchasing a refubed unit. Guess I should have asked but it didn't cross my mind. But if it works for more than 2 years I'll be happy.

However here's my next dilemma. I've been letting it thaw out before installing as it's been on a Fedex truck in Montana for a while. Anyway the red and black positive and negative posts are reversed on this new one. Did they just get put on wrong or did they actually reverse the leads. Not sure it makes a huge difference but i don't want to blow it up right off the get go.

Robert_W #333548 01/05/11 08:27 PM
Why don't you call Axiom and ask these questions? Asking us is going to just result in a bunch of guessing.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #333549 01/05/11 08:31 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Well I might but honestly my trust in them at this point isn't exactly high up there in the stellar range. I was hoping that some one here that had already been through this could confirm. I know I'm not the only person out here to have replaced an amp. Some even a few times. If they got the same thing then I'd feel more comfortable. But yes, I'll call.

Robert_W #333551 01/05/11 08:43 PM
I replaced an amp in my EP350, but it was during a transition period, so I knew I was getting an early version.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #333561 01/05/11 09:40 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Well I swear I'm cursed. mad

OK, so I call them up and speak to Brent. Figured I'd wait to talk to them before I hooked up anything. Nice enough to deal with but I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling that I really had a new, and not a refurbed amp. Even though he said so. Actually he told me there were 2 new versions. There were a couple of answers that sort of made me go ...huh...what? OK. However I decided to go with it.

So....first things first. Wire it. The positive red banana plug breaks right off where the hole is drilled through it for bare wire. ARGH! OK....there's enough room still to tighten down the connection. But it won't tighten real good. It just sort of spins on the inside of the black casing. So does the negative black wire. I assure you that I did NOT force these in any way.

Alright then....lets mount it and give it a shot. Plug it in and give it something that should rock my world. Ready set EHHHH. NADA. WTF?! Did I screw something up? Check everything. Again. Ehhhh. Turned all the way up on music that should have my house shaking and with my ear right to it there is JUST barely an audible sound. So....second, third, and fourth check all my connections. All good to go. Bring in my EP350 and my old M&K....hook them up to the same XLR and BAM! Lots of sound. All is good. Plug in the EP600 and nothing. Freaking thing sucks wind.

So....call Brent back up, and again, pleasant to deal with but he needs to get back to me in the morning. Every one is gone for the day. So we'll see what happens.

Sorry to vent here guys but this is just beyond ridiculous. I'm 99.9% positive that there isn't anything wrong with the speaker / woofer / driver itself. Axiom seems to agree. So this will be amp #4. cry

What else to do?

Any one have any experience with SVS? I'd really like to have a working system again.

Robert_W #333563 01/05/11 09:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's frustrating for sure.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #333601 01/06/11 05:22 AM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
Don't the new amps come with vents in them?

Robert_W #333613 01/06/11 12:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I leave my EP600 on all the time and have been fortunate to have no issues with it since I got it in 2006. Perhaps it is time to see if Axiom will replace the entire subwoofer.

Robert_W #333621 01/06/11 03:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Robert_W
OK folks, in the continuing saga of the 600 ...here goes.

Got my replacement amp today but it seems to be a refurbished unit. frown I'm not positive but it looks that way. Gone are the trim control and there are no fuses. It also has a couple of minor scrapes, which aren't a big deal, where the screws mount to the cabinet. This is kind of disappointing as I was under the impression that I was to be receiving a new amp. Especially since the 1st and 2nd ones were not covered by the 5 year warranty....only 3 years....and I had to pay for this replacement.

The piece of paper came with the unit also states "This replacement subwoofer has all the current upgrades we have made since we launched this product." It also goes onto describe the replacement steps, in rather broken English, and makes reference to blue and white wires. There are none. Just the standard red and black banana type screw ons. There's also a "QC" sticker covering up the normal "SA" spot. The old unit is silver and this "new" one is gold.

Then it goes on to describe removing the woofer itself and running the blue and white wires to it. confused There is no need for this.

Again, I'm no expert but it sure looks like a refurbished unit especially given that the sheet they send with it makes reference to attached wires and colors that don't exist. Here's a picture side by side. Old amp on the left...."new" replacement on right.

Seeing that this is the 3rd amp in this thing it's kind of a bummer. frown Thought I was getting the latest. If some one could confirm this I'd appreciate it. I hope it's newer any way.

The amp layouts above look nothing like the amp that is on the website currently. If I were to guess the one you have is an older version of the amps that had the trim control feature removed and replaced with that of a subsonic filter switch. A current EP600 amp is pictured below.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/gallery_display2.html?image=amp.jpg&title=EP600%20-%20Amp

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020