Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
VCR recording and the Yamaha RX-V2400
#34457 02/19/04 12:51 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
A few months ago I finally set up my HT, with various amts of help from members of this board. Still learning though guys/gals thanks. Now my current problem. I set everything up according to the manual, running all my components thru the Yamaha. Up until last night I never had a reason to try and record using my VCR, Sony SLV-N700. But I tried to record something last night. Nothing came out. I sat there and tried to record, not simply setting a timer. First off I must assume that since I have the VCR connected into the Yamha, I must record while my HT is on. No more simply turning on the TV, and recording that way right? Next I had the Yammy on, set to cable/sat. Picture okay on TV, inserted tape, set VCR to line 1 in, hit record. Let it record for a minute or so. Rewind, play......No picture. But I did pick up the audio. If I insert a pre-recorded tape it plays fine. I thought the blank tape was bad, changed tapes...nothing. I tried playing around with settings....TV set to Sat w/o running the HT, and VCR set to record....Nothing. Yammy on, set to VCR1, TV set to Sat....nothing.. There are 3 choices for input on the VCR...LINE 1...LINE2..Chan3 The only one that picked up anything was LINE1, and that was audio only from the recording. I'm going skiing (Big Boulder) for 2 days figured I'd leave this query while I was gone. What else could I troubleshoot. Or does anyone have an answer or had a similar problem. Or am I simply having a "moment". Thanks

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!!
Re: VCR recording and the Yamaha RX-V2400
#34458 02/19/04 03:03 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Dave,
it sounds to me like you don't have video input from your satellite into your VCR. I'm making some assumptions here that you have you're satellite hooked into your receiver?!? If so, you'll need to do one of two things. Either run your satellite connections directly through your VCR first, instead of going to the receiver like you have now (correct me if I'm wrong, but this will require you to have your VCR on at all times when you're watching TV). Your second option, and probably easier, is to make sure you have RCA cables hooked up from VCR1 OUT on the back of the receiver to the VIDEO/AUDIO IN on your VCR. This should pass both the audio and video signal to your VCR when everything is turned on.

"Chickens don't clap."
#34459 02/19/04 10:59 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Are you using s-video, composite or component video interconnects? Some receivers require that you use the same interconnects throughout the system to do the video switching. ie if you run Svid into your receiver, but your reciver is running composite vid to your vcr it may not work.

#34460 02/21/04 12:36 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I think I see a pattern to my problem. THe VCR IS NOT S-video. Therefore the signal coming INTO the VCR from the sat thru the receiver is not processed. That is why I get the audio and no video. Or so I read on another posting response. I think I will have to delete running the VCR thru my Yamaha, and go simply thru my tv. This is not a big problem since the VCR is essentially used for kids older VHS movies/tapes. That does not need to be run thru my HT. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks. If anyone else has any ideas, or if what I wrote makes sense, please respond.

#34461 02/21/04 03:50 AM
shareholder in the making
You can pick up some cheap-o S-video to composite connectors (passive) to fix this. That's what I've done with my system. They work acceptably well. You'll have to look pretty hard to find them for less than $20, but I think accessories4less has them for a reasonable price. Also try cablesamerica. I wouldn't bother with the $80+ active adapters. It's just a VCR, after all...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#34462 02/21/04 03:24 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Have not pulled out units from wall unit. But if I remember, set up is ......Satellite from wall into Monster HTS3600...
To Yamaha..........to satellite receiver or vice versa.
Since the vcr DOES not have s-video capabilities would this create a conflict with the recording ability. I may simply delete the VCR from the HT since kids use it for movies, and I would only record VHS tapes for use in car vcr player. This may be a plan.
If I do delete it, how would I run the configuration? Starting at the wall (satellite coming in)...Would I need to split a signal? Right now I have the satellite running 2 ways. 1)Thru the HT, so I can watch using full effects.
2) Using jacks on rear of tv, so kids and wife can watch by simply turning on TV only, selecting Sat input on TV and watching that way.
Do I still need to run the satellite signal thru the VCR so I can record.
I'm quite confused. If I simply want to set up a vcr to record in my sons room, no HT, I believe the setup is as follows Right?
1) Cable from wall to VCR antenna In
2)VCR antenna out to Satellite antenna in
3)Satellite out to TV In
Am I right?
I thought I tried this, but I had a problem where some of my satellite channels were missing.

So you see, I have 2 projects that cause me grief.
Any help. Appreciated? :censor:

#34463 02/24/04 08:53 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Not sure if what I did would be correct in the hT dept. but it seems to work.
I pulled out the unit and looked. All the connections were correct. There is no s-video on the VCR. According to the manual the Yamaha should decode non s video to composite. Anyway whay I ended up doing was runninga coax cable from the Satellite box out, to the VCR In. Then I played around and found if you set the VCR to channel 3 it records. I can also record while the Yamaha HT system is off, as well as the TV. I guess this will work. However I need to play back while using the HT system. That is fine. Any opinions, and thanks for the help.

#34464 02/24/04 09:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
kcarlie
you can get those adapters for about $5 from partsexpress. I did try to use one from svid on DirecTivo to composite on TV and it didn't look too great. But for a VCR, should be fine.

#34465 02/25/04 01:17 AM
Damn, I wish I'd asked on this board awhile ago. Mine cost $8 per, and I lost one before I got it home! I'm not surprised that yours didn't look so good (since you were downconverting to the display device), but mine upconverts (not really) from the media reader to the display device, so there shouldn't be too much of a decrease (and NO increase) in quality. Besides, it's a VCR. I only use it when I have to offload stuff from the TiVo. :-)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kevin1), 1,067 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup