Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Subwoofer cable question
#34716 02/24/04 08:10 PM
fcastle Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I think I will be getting this cable, but since Digitally Unique is $5 cheaper overall than Cables America, why wouldn't I get it through them?

#34717 02/24/04 10:12 PM
shareholder in the making
Yes Pete, I think that I can bring myself to come up with some comments. First, the Cables America response is entirely correct, but rather than "in place of" I would use "as", since the broadest definition(excluding the spaghetti)of a sub cable is simply a wire with an RCA plug on each end.

The Digitally Unique response is questionable in several respects. First he appears to believe that he can reveal some deeper truth that someone "Technically speaking" can't. He apparently considers himself a "true audiophile" and therefore knows that a cable has to have "subwoofer" on it to really let the sub sound right. He doesn't know however that the impedance rating of an interconnect cable, within very wide limits, is of no significance at audio frequencies. As he said, it may have to do with noise, but that's what a coaxial type cable is good at rejecting. Lastly, he would send you to the rip-off artists at Monster Cable, depriving his company of a possible sale because of his ignorance.

Both companies are selling the same-numbered Cables to Go item, but DU apparently has used much of the description from an entirely different cable ,not noticing "twisted pair", "spiral-wound" and the fact that it's two cables instead of one. Despite all this sloppiness, $5 is $5 and the fact that the company has hired a "true audiophile"(who hopefully will still attain salvation)shouldn't deprive it of a sale.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#34718 02/24/04 11:58 PM
fcastle Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Wonderful response John, thanks! Believe me, I chuckled as well when I read his response to my question.

#34719 02/26/04 01:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You the man, John! Hallelujah brother!

#34720 03/15/04 08:43 PM
Any idea where I can go online and find this stuff. I am not having any luck locally. When I ask for HDTV coaxial cable they point me to some quad shielded RG6 coax. Is this what I would want? It is rated upto 1GHz. I need to run 50 - 75 feet in wall and overhead (attic). I also need to make a couple of runs the same length for my QS8s. Is Home Depot 12 guage acceptable for this application? Do I need to worry about attenuation or shielding issues with the speaker wire?

It's not my fault that I am ignorant...I was never taught that.
#34721 03/15/04 09:08 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Any idea where I can go online and find this stuff. I am not having any luck locally. When I ask for HDTV coaxial cable they point me to some quad shielded RG6 coax. Is this what I would want? It is rated upto 1GHz. I need to run 50 - 75 feet in wall and overhead (attic). I also need to make a couple of runs the same length for my QS8s. Is Home Depot 12 guage acceptable for this application? Do I need to worry about attenuation or shielding issues with the speaker wire?

Hmm.. just a quick rundown of the generally accepted cable info (new fight anyone?)

Yes, the 1 GHz coax will be fine for your subwoofer install - I assume you're terminating it (with RCAs) yourself? Use a hot iron and good solder (better than 60/40, silver if the mood strikes you). My personal opinion is to add a strain relief spring as well but that has nothing to do with quality of connection and everything to do with protecting the cable.

12ga. should be fine (or overkill depending on who you talk to) for your install... cross all AC mains or coaxial cable wiring at 90 degrees if possible, keep all your runs separated by as much as possible without doing anything outrageous like running them to opposite walls... and keep your paranoia in check, it's a society of fear out there.

Bren R.

#34722 03/15/04 11:15 PM
Ryan, the speaker wire will be fine as to gauge. Since you'll be running it behind walls you should use wire fire- rated for that type of installation rather than standard speaker wire, although some ignore this point. As to the coaxial cables, even for the lengths you'll be using RG59 is more than adequate; RG6 isn't necessary.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082