Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Infinity speaker's CMMD vs. Axiom titanium/aluminm
#34766 02/22/04 02:31 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Does anyone know the difference between these? My friend and I are building two different systems. He has a Denon 3803 w/ Infinity speakers 360s and he's getting the Alpha 50s with the CMMD. I'm planning on finishing my Epic 80 set that I'm building one piece at a time. I have the VP-150 and it's certainly the best speaker I own. He has no real center (he's using my old Polk). So we can't compare. BTW - I will be matching my set on an Outlaw 950/7100 combo. The real question is obviously which will sound better. To simplify this question how about we focus on the M80s vs his Alpha 50s. Focusing on sound and the CMMD tech vs. Axiom's aluminum and titanium. I axiously await your replies!

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
Re: Infinity speaker's CMMD vs. Axiom titanium/aluminm
#34767 02/22/04 05:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
well obviously the Axiom's will sound better. do you think i would say otherwise?! i own the M80's lol.

i wouodnt worry about harman's wooptido cone technologies, their "polyplas" drivers i had in my old JBL speakers sure didnt do anything magical. Pay attention to the sound, not the driver materials.

#34768 02/22/04 08:10 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks! That makes me feel better If anyone else has anything else to add please do! On another note...I'm on the early end of putting this together, but Halleluhah my wife is actually letting me put this all togther, and at a quick pace I should add. So in the next month will be my next purchase. Right now I'm on a 5 year old Sony. It has two things going for it. 5.1 surround and 4 ohm capacity. Other than that...it's old and is missing the newer surrounds and the better DAC (Digital to Analog Converters). On the fronts I have a pair of Bose 701 loudspeakers. They sound nice for Jazz and classical, but not much else (forget vocals). And they are like dipoles (spreads sound - not very directional). So my question is this, what would you get first? A pair of M80s? Or the Outlaw 950/7100 combo (this being my first choice for a sound system)? Again, my end goal is to have all Axioms with the Outlaw. A 7.1 in all. Thanks again. I have enjoyed reading the forums for weeks now and am excited to be a part of them!

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
Re: Infinity speaker's CMMD vs. Axiom titanium/alu
#34769 02/22/04 08:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Misfit, the last time i heard Infinity speakers i was rather unimpressed. Unfortunately i do not recall the model but generally i find Infinity to be very mediocre. This is just a feeble opinion though.

As for sound, i would say buy the new speakers first and decide on the new sound you prefer. Then when you can, update to the newer receiver/processor and then eventually build up to surrounds and a subwoofer if desired. Your present Sony receiver should sound perfectly fine with any new speakers.

I would also concur with Haoleb's comment regarding driver materials. Try not to judge a speaker by its looks, specs, price or build. Just listen.

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/22/04 08:16 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#34770 02/22/04 08:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Misfit

I had a pair of Infinity Composition Overture 3 towers and an Infinity CC3 center speaker. I believe the towers used ceramic drivers but I'm not certain. Except for their awesome price I found everything else about the Infinities underwhelming. I think you'll prefer the M80s to the Infinities.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Re: Infinity speaker's CMMD vs. Axiom titanium/alu
#34771 02/22/04 08:54 PM
veteran
veteran
Infinity tends to spend dough in driver materials. They do a lot of research on how the drivers affect the sound. Dr. Floyd Toole (the original NRC guy) works for Infinity (well Harman, but basically the same thing). So research wise, they're pretty good. The are a vertically integrated company, making their own drivers, boxes etc. Price wise, since they don't sell direct (at least below list), you will do better with Axiom. They've cut out the middle man. Infinity, though, are good sounding, well engineered speakers.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup